Old 11-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #1
florida boy towing this winter

so just so we are clear i have lived in florida my whole life never driven in ice/snow before. we have decided we are going to stone mountain georgia for christmas and i am guessing it is going to be cold enough for ice/snow. my question can anyone give me some sort of idea on things to be careful of im not a lead foot so i already figure take my time but the friends we are going with are getting chains for there truck which i had not even thought of and i asked well what about the camper does it need chains? i ask that because my understanding of chains is to break ice so you can have traction to stop? again i have never driven in any winter condition so dont hold back. lol

scsowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I'd be using the slide control lever on brake controller to have trailer lead the tv when brake"n...... if in snow, fresh snow is better to travel in as far as being slippery....kinda like drive'n next to existing tracks......out here we see 18 wheelers with 'iron' on trailers....maybe cable chains would be ok, but depends on how much tire clearance you have...chains should fit snug to the tire, and you can pull the trailer onto a block to chain up...carry an old tarp to kneel down on.

Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
You would need to check if chains are legal in Georgia. Personally if the roads are bad enough for chains I would not be driving with a trailer. I live in Ontario Canada so Have driven in snow my whole life.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
Snow is not a common occurrence around Stone Mountain, east of downtown Atlanta.
I second the others, just don't go anywhere for a few hours, usually only a light dusting if any melts pretty quick.
when I lived there, I recall mowing grass on Christmas day so it is not necessarily going to be cold, especially with the trend we are seeing so far in Florida, definitely not getting cool this year as expected by now.
Dobe Fanatic - Largo, Florida
2012 Flagstaff T12RB A-Frame
DobeFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
The ice/snow event that happened there (Atlanta) a year or so ago is an oddity.
You will likely not see that kind of weather again for a long time.
Typical Stone Mountain GA weather at Christmas is highs in the 40's to lows around 30 at night.

I agree with the statement that if the weather is bad enough that you need chains on your TV, you best not hook to your RV and try to tow it anywhere!
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 42
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Personally if the roads are bad enough for chains I would not be driving with a trailer.
That's my take.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
thank you all! that is exactly what i needed to hear
scsowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #8
I agree with the if it's snow'n , I ain't go'n approach. That said, I did some research a while ago on Washington chain up laws. The statute was more towards commercial trucks but our requirement is chains on the drive wheels and on the far rear right trailer tire. I don't know the logic of only one trailer tire but that was what the illustrations showed.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #9
Forget getting chains for trip to Atlanta. When the roads get slick here it is best to park it and take a rest (even in heavy rains). The problem is not your getting around it is all the other crazy drivers that can't drive. Snowfalls are few and when it does snow it is usually 1-2 inches but even that will bring traffic to a standstill. The snows will clear off in 1-2 days and be back to dry surface. You should be more concerned about black ice when the roads are wet. If you don't see a spray coming from the rear of other vehicles it is time to get off the road. Now if you were going to someplace in New England in December you may want to reconsider. BTW chains are legal in Georgia but unless you absolutely need to get to someplace it is best to wait it out.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RS
2011 F-150 Super Crew XLT
Days camped in 2014 - 23
Camped 2015 - 47
Camped 2016 - 51 done - 6 more planned so far
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That's my take.
Same here....and we are on ice and snow for a good 5 mths of the year, any day now till at least April...the worst is a person who has never driven on ice or snow thinking they can do it....let alone pulling a trailer.

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote

towing, winter