Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #41

Do as I say, not as I do.........or.......its ok if you buy the overpriced parts from us?
RV Bike Racks & Receivers for Sale
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #42

Here is a couple of quick pictures. I just set it up there at lunch when I went home.

There is 2 straps that wrap around the rack and the ladder and pull tight, then there is 4 straps that hold bikes in place. It's pretty sturdy when it's all cinched down. There is much better, bolt on bike racks out there that do the same thing.

GloNDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
prairiecamper ... here's photos
Thanks for the photos! I never thought of cutting the sewer tube in half like that, but I might consider that as well. I believe the frame has plenty of strength for this receiver. I plan to tow my lund boat to and from the lake. Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #44

Bumper or not to bumper this is the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upontop View Post
"Adding anything onto the bumper or frame of your trailer can void the warranty of your trailer's frame. The trailer is a lightweight trailer and the frame is only built to handle what we put on it here at the factory. I would advise against adding any attachment onto your bumper or frame."

Thank you

Jake Carter
Rockwood/Flagstaff
Yes this is the "normal response" you will get and they are for the most part correct, (Unless you special order) your trailer most companies only build it to hold up to what they design it to do and nothing more and to make matters worse most bumpers are not designed to carry much more than the sewer hose as they are only tack welded.

Now you could look at Mount-n-Lockâ„¢ Camper & RV Bumpers, Cargo Carrier Trays and Accessories as they have come out with a great system to fix these horrible bumpers and it all just bolts together

Hope this helps some and Happy camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:27 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I am sorry that I didnt post enough Pic,s Before and After to meet your desires! I doubt that i will chase down all the units that i have Pic's of for future Pic for you also! I am Not a Pro Picture Taker but I can see Very clear when something is Not Installed or Made Properly! I look forward to all the Detailed Before and After Pic's You Post? Youroo!!
I have posted the before pics. If I ever have a failure, then I'll post the after pics.

What bothers me is you folks making the blanket statement that YOU SHOULDN'T PUT SOMETHING ON YOUR BUMPER. You never say, “Well, you can do it if you do it RIGHT.”

You carte blanche think I'm going to have a failure, and by extension, so will everyone else who has put something on or near their bumper. HOW they did it doesn't seem to matter to you; obviously, no matter how it’s done, it WILL fail.

Then you post a pic of cargo carrier with some stuff on it and imply how lousy it is as “proof.” Well, it MIGHT be lousy, but since you didn't take any pics of the attachment, how are we supposed to really know? That generator pic you've got could very well be on a beefed up receiver, and be a perfectly fine arrangement OR it could be a receiver bolted to the bumper that "might" fall off tomorrow. WE don't know, and we can't even make our own judgments, since we can't see it. This arrangement might still be going down road perfectly well for all we know.

The point is, if one doesn't adequately describe the way the rack was attached, along with the failure mode, (and usually pics of both is best) then the people reading your posts don't really know what's OK and what's not. It's like making a blanket statement: "We shouldn't build dirigibles" because the Hindenburg blew up; even though one used hydrogen and others use helium. You're making a blanket judgment while ignoring the difference in designs.

There are quite a few of us here who are making it work.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:44 PM   #46
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
On a Ultra-lite 5er?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I think I would want a letter saying the ladder is not going to come off along with the bike rack, bikes, the whole ball of wax.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ladder is attached with small sheet metal screws that are through thin fiberglass which is adhered to 1/8" luan plywood. Behind that, laminated between the foam and luan will be thin sheet metal, probably less than 20 ga as a backer for the ladder attachment. Then you have the RV screw factor which is first over torque them until they are stripped. If they are stripped to the point that they back out, glue them in with some caulk

But don't attach your toilet paper holder to the bumper, oh the humanity. The spare tire and grill is ok though.
I have no idea as to how the ladder is mounted to the trailer when they add a bike rack. Being factory mounted it is possible they reinforce the ladder attachment system to give added strength.

Now the spare tire carrier? Held on to the bumper loosely with two 4" U bolts only? Which allow it to bounce and vibrate all over with every little bump in the road. That bothered me and that is why I removed it. I didn't weigh them but the platform I had welded on probably weighs less than the spare tire carrier and tire. When I place my generator on this platform I defy anyone to move it because it is straped on that tight.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #48
Who Dares, Wins

I have a reinforced bumper with a bike rack so I can not help there.. But I see the pic above with the ladder mount. My concern there would be the mounts of the ladder itself. It says it is good for 200lbs. I am sure the bikes are under that but the bounce load on the ladder while under way will be much greater. Maybe I'm wrong, but I could see that ladder getting ripped right off!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
On a Ultra-lite 5er?
Yes, on an ultra-lite anything. Define "ultra-light". Better yet show me a frame on any TT or 5er made since 2000 that's "heavy weight" or even "medium weight".

Ultra light is nothing more than two words.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #50
Who Dares, Wins

I agree is ANYTHING build strong anymore... They cater to the market, which currently want to tow a house with a mini-van for $10,000.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I have a reinforced bumper with a bike rack so I can not help there.. But I see the pic above with the ladder mount. My concern there would be the mounts of the ladder itself. It says it is good for 200lbs. I am sure the bikes are under that but the bounce load on the ladder while under way will be much greater. Maybe I'm wrong, but I could see that ladder getting ripped right off!
Doc your right we could lay a 10lb sledge hammer on a Ladder or Bumper securely and No Damage,now let it jump/wiggle/on every bump going down the Highway and it will do Damage! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #52

Quote:
Doc your right we could lay a 10lb sledge hammer on a Ladder or Bumper securely and No Damage,now let it jump/wiggle/on every bump going down the Highway and it will do Damage! Youroo!!
That was my concern with a spare tire carrier. The way FR mounts it is rediculas and then they clim they are concerned about vibration??? Give me a brake!

Jim
Old 01-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #53

Tire on the bumper vs. underneath - I see where some choose to move the tire underneath but I wonder what the ramifications of doing that have been (e.g. bent/cracked/sagged frame at a different location).

-Craig
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBean7672 View Post
Tire on the bumper vs. underneath - I see where some choose to move the tire underneath but I wonder what the ramifications of doing that have been (e.g. bent/cracked/sagged frame at a different location).

-Craig
Craig,

That is why I didn't move it under the trailer. I just toss it into the back of my truck. It doesn't take up that much room laying there so no big deal. Hopefully I will never need it and only takes a minute to remove it when I get home. I don't think anyone will steal it but could always chain it if I wanted to. No big deal. I throw it between my slider hitch and the cab.

I don't think it would be very convenient under the trailer anyhow, I think it would be a pain to retrieve.

Jim
Old 01-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #55

Out of site,out of mind,same deployment as most cable PU systems! Located up in the front of the frame! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4657.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	98045  
Old 01-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #56

Quote:
Out of site,out of mind,same deployment as most cable PU systems! Located up in the front of the frame! Youroo!!
Nice mount but will it vibrate on a rough road or by hitting a pot hole? That would be my concern with my Signature ultra lite. I agree, out of site out of mind, but I can secure my spare in the back of my truck if I want to.

Jim
Old 01-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #57

Our CC 29RE had tire in front storage area....Needed the room!!!!!! Purchased under frame carrier and mounted it there just behind wheels of 5er...Great move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:39 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Nice mount but will it vibrate on a rough road or by hitting a pot hole? That would be my concern with my Signature ultra lite. I agree, out of site out of mind, but I can secure my spare in the back of my truck if I want to.

Jim
Well lets see,Maine to California and Many 1000s of additional miles and it has Not moved,but We Only travel on Perfect US State Highway's! Three different trucks towing this V-Lite so far and None of them have Lost the spare tire either! Youroo!!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #59

Front View of spare! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4546.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	98062  
Old 01-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #60

Quote:
Well lets see,Maine to California and Many 1000s of additional miles and it has Not moved,but We Only travel on Perfect US State Highway's! Three different trucks towing this V-Lite so far and None of them have Lost the spare tire either! Youroo!!
I guess you can't complain then!

Jim

Tags
280, 8280ws, forest river, frame, hitch