Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2016, 09:21 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I have posted the before pics. If I ever have a failure, then I'll post the after pics.

What bothers me is you folks making the blanket statement that YOU SHOULDN'T PUT SOMETHING ON YOUR BUMPER. You never say, “Well, you can do it if you do it RIGHT.”

You carte blanche think I'm going to have a failure, and by extension, so will everyone else who has put something on or near their bumper. HOW they did it doesn't seem to matter to you; obviously, no matter how it’s done, it WILL fail.

Then you post a pic of cargo carrier with some stuff on it and imply how lousy it is as “proof.” Well, it MIGHT be lousy, but since you didn't take any pics of the attachment, how are we supposed to really know? That generator pic you've got could very well be on a beefed up receiver, and be a perfectly fine arrangement OR it could be a receiver bolted to the bumper that "might" fall off tomorrow. WE don't know, and we can't even make our own judgments, since we can't see it. This arrangement might still be going down road perfectly well for all we know.

The point is, if one doesn't adequately describe the way the rack was attached, along with the failure mode, (and usually pics of both is best) then the people reading your posts don't really know what's OK and what's not. It's like making a blanket statement: "We shouldn't build dirigibles" because the Hindenburg blew up; even though one used hydrogen and others use helium. You're making a blanket judgment while ignoring the difference in designs.

There are quite a few of us here who are making it work.
Your statement is correct but I do believe the people at Lippert and possibly Flagstaff/Rockwood do care. As soon as I sent pics of the floor in my 8289 rolling over from the frame rail tilting they wanted pics of the bumper and back of the fiver before they would open a file. It is just lucky for me I had never done anything to mar the bumper they probably would have refused to cover the problem. As I stated earlier they removed the entire box and replaced the floor and frame. I don't think this would have been a cheap repair.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #62

Jeepman,if you think Rockfordroo's statement is Correct,it was directed at me,then I guess to make His statement True,You need to Post Before/During/and after Pics as well! Youroo!! Otherwise he will classify it as a Blanket Statement!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #63
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Have around 11000 miles on this trailer carrying the spare on the bumper as with what the factory put there......it's still there and no cracks ......must of had a welder work'n there the day this one was built in late 2009.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Jeepman,if you think Rockfordroo's statement is Correct,it was directed at me,then I guess to make His statement True,You need to Post Before/During/and after Pics as well! Youroo!! Otherwise he will classify it as a Blanket Statement!
YouRoo,

I can't post pics, I am all out of crayons.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Have around 11000 miles on this trailer carrying the spare on the bumper as with what the factory put there......it's still there and no cracks ......must of had a welder work'n there the day this one was built in late 2009.
Amazing, I assume in 09 its still an LCI frame? If it is I think that you could bolt this on your spare tire and carry a total of 150 lbs on it, and it would be blessed by the good folks who made your bumper and frame since you bought the bracket from them. Now were all pussygood. They're the same ones saying you can't do it. Just thought I'd mention that.

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...e-rack-web.pdf
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #66
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
X 2 Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #67
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I'm not going to add anything more to the bumper, other than the lights, I've come up with a safer way of pack'n my junk.......now that i've got a fold up ladder that'll fit a storage tube, the one I brought on this trip can stay home.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #68

[Originally Posted by youroo View Post

QUOTE=jeepman71;1082281]YouRoo,

I can't post pics, I am all out of crayons.[/QUOTE]

Since Jeepman didn't put ANYTHING on his bumper, I'm not sure exactly what his point is, other than perhaps pointing out that once in a while, somebody's going to get a lousy frame, and he thinks he's lucky it was covered because he didn't put anything on his bumper.

While that may be a valid point, any TT out there is susceptible to that sort of failure if the welder or whoever had a bad day. But using that philosophy, there a lot of other mods folks maybe shouldn't do because they got a lousy AC, or a lousy converter, or a lousy battery, or lousy cabinets, or lousy vents, or lousy...., just in case "it may not be covered." Somebody here was worried about putting his spare tire under his frame. Well, what about our fence posts mods? How much weight is too much? Some folks put those big lawn mats in their fence posts. What if Jeepman had had a fence post under his frame? Would they have covered him? Who knows?

If I'm worried about putting something on my bumper because I might have gotten a bad frame, maybe I should just stay home. Heaven knows I wouldn't want to ride down the road with a bad frame, and who knows if I have one or not?

Again, the point of my original post is: If you're going to give us your horror story, give us all the facts and details so we understand what it is you did wrong. Just saying, "Well, I had a problem," with no other real details, doesn't help anyone.

This will be my last post in this thread. It's pretty obvious my point is not getting through.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:07 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
[Originally Posted by youroo View Post

QUOTE=jeepman71;1082281]YouRoo,

I can't post pics, I am all out of crayons.
Since Jeepman didn't put ANYTHING on his bumper, I'm not sure exactly what his point is, other than perhaps pointing out that once in a while, somebody's going to get a lousy frame, and he thinks he's lucky it was covered because he didn't put anything on his bumper.

While that may be a valid point, any TT out there is susceptible to that sort of failure if the welder or whoever had a bad day. But using that philosophy, there a lot of other mods folks maybe shouldn't do because they got a lousy AC, or a lousy converter, or a lousy battery, or lousy cabinets, or lousy vents, or lousy...., just in case "it may not be covered." Somebody here was worried about putting his spare tire under his frame. Well, what about our fence posts mods? How much weight is too much? Some folks put those big lawn mats in their fence posts. What if Jeepman had had a fence post under his frame? Would they have covered him? Who knows?

If I'm worried about putting something on my bumper because I might have gotten a bad frame, maybe I should just stay home. Heaven knows I wouldn't want to ride down the road with a bad frame, and who knows if I have one or not?

Again, the point of my original post is: If you're going to give us your horror story, give us all the facts and details so we understand what it is you did wrong. Just saying, "Well, I had a problem," with no other real details, doesn't help anyone.

This will be my last post in this thread. It's pretty obvious my point is not getting through.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I bought a new fiver with the thought I might have gotten a bad frame. My point is simply I am glad I didn't put anything on the frame even though the dealer said they would cover me if something happened. My point is that Lippert and Flagstaff/Rockwood are serious about not putting anything on the bumper.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #70

Quote:
Bob,

I am guessing you are commenting about my statements about the spare tire carrier.

I am glad it is working well for you. I am not saying that that holder won't work. After all it was designed to work that way. It is just that FR told me they were concerned about vibration on the rear bumper. The design just bothered me after hearing FR concern because I could move the top of the carrier 4 to 6 inches, if not more, and the "U" bolts were loose. I could force the carrier to slide sideways on the bumper if I forced it so it concerned me. I figure if I remove it and replace it with something more ridged there should not be a problem. Only time will tell.

I do understand their concern. After all anything man makes can fail. When I bought this 5er there was aclass 3 or 4 hitch bolted to the rear bumper witth 4 3/4 " bolts. It was better attached than the tire carrier and never caused a problem that I could see, but who knows what they used it for. Probably a bike carrier but could have been for towing a Jeep, LOL!

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, 8280ws, forest river, frame, hitch