Old 01-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I have a reinforced bumper with a bike rack so I can not help there.. But I see the pic above with the ladder mount. My concern there would be the mounts of the ladder itself. It says it is good for 200lbs. I am sure the bikes are under that but the bounce load on the ladder while under way will be much greater. Maybe I'm wrong, but I could see that ladder getting ripped right off!
Doc your right we could lay a 10lb sledge hammer on a Ladder or Bumper securely and No Damage,now let it jump/wiggle/on every bump going down the Highway and it will do Damage! Youroo!!

Old 01-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Doc your right we could lay a 10lb sledge hammer on a Ladder or Bumper securely and No Damage,now let it jump/wiggle/on every bump going down the Highway and it will do Damage! Youroo!!
That was my concern with a spare tire carrier. The way FR mounts it is rediculas and then they clim they are concerned about vibration??? Give me a brake!

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #53

Tire on the bumper vs. underneath - I see where some choose to move the tire underneath but I wonder what the ramifications of doing that have been (e.g. bent/cracked/sagged frame at a different location).

-Craig
Old 01-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBean7672 View Post
Tire on the bumper vs. underneath - I see where some choose to move the tire underneath but I wonder what the ramifications of doing that have been (e.g. bent/cracked/sagged frame at a different location).

-Craig
Craig,

That is why I didn't move it under the trailer. I just toss it into the back of my truck. It doesn't take up that much room laying there so no big deal. Hopefully I will never need it and only takes a minute to remove it when I get home. I don't think anyone will steal it but could always chain it if I wanted to. No big deal. I throw it between my slider hitch and the cab.

I don't think it would be very convenient under the trailer anyhow, I think it would be a pain to retrieve.

Jim
Old 01-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #55

Out of site,out of mind,same deployment as most cable PU systems! Located up in the front of the frame! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4657.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	98045  
Old 01-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #56

Quote:
Out of site,out of mind,same deployment as most cable PU systems! Located up in the front of the frame! Youroo!!
Nice mount but will it vibrate on a rough road or by hitting a pot hole? That would be my concern with my Signature ultra lite. I agree, out of site out of mind, but I can secure my spare in the back of my truck if I want to.

Jim
Old 01-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #57

Our CC 29RE had tire in front storage area....Needed the room!!!!!! Purchased under frame carrier and mounted it there just behind wheels of 5er...Great move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:39 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Nice mount but will it vibrate on a rough road or by hitting a pot hole? That would be my concern with my Signature ultra lite. I agree, out of site out of mind, but I can secure my spare in the back of my truck if I want to.

Jim
Well lets see,Maine to California and Many 1000s of additional miles and it has Not moved,but We Only travel on Perfect US State Highway's! Three different trucks towing this V-Lite so far and None of them have Lost the spare tire either! Youroo!!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #59

Front View of spare! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4546.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	98062  
Old 01-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #60

Quote:
Well lets see,Maine to California and Many 1000s of additional miles and it has Not moved,but We Only travel on Perfect US State Highway's! Three different trucks towing this V-Lite so far and None of them have Lost the spare tire either! Youroo!!
I guess you can't complain then!

Jim

Tags
280, 8280ws, forest river, frame, hitch