Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #1

Forest River response regarding adding 2' hitch to my FW 8280WS bumper or frame

"Adding anything onto the bumper or frame of your trailer can void the warranty of your trailer's frame. The trailer is a light weight trailer and the frame is only built to handle what we put on it here at the factory. I would advise against adding any attachment onto your bumper or frame."

Thank you

Jake Carter
Rockwood/Flagstaff
upontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #2

This has been discussed for years! Not only will it void the warranty but more likely something will break off and kill someone.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
This has been discussed for years! Not only will it void the warranty but more likely something will break off and kill someone.
It will not void the warranty. It can void the warranty. Look at the reps response. That was a canned response from the FR legal department. He used the word can because of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. They probably get asked this once a day. A manufacturer can not just arbitrarily void a warranty because you added something such as a bracket or aftermarket part. In order to void the warranty, its on the manufacturer to prove your action, or added part, caused the issue. Sure they're not going too tell you that you can add something to the bumper. Why would they? When some doomoss is told they can and hauls an engine block on it and the thing falls off, they're going to drag F.R. into the lawsuits.

If your bumper falls off because you put a receiver bracket on it and a cargo platform, along with 2 Igloos full of beer and ice, yes you probably voided the warranty if you attempt to have the bumper reattached under warranty. If you put it on there and the spring shackle weld breaks up ahead of the front axle, the manufacturer is going to have a tough time saying your warranty is void because you put a receiver bracket on the rear bumper.

I have had a bracket with platform on 2 lightweight Hybrids. The first, an Aerolite 185, I welded a few extra gussets to the bumper attachment because I did not have much faith in the attachments. No problems whatsoever, no warranty voided, no bumper broken off, no one killed. I had a structural engineer I know take a look at it and run the calcs based on the fabricated frame members sizes and thickness. Even with the 14 gauge bumper tube he came up with I could haul about 900 lbs on that platform. All I want it for is the tote tank and my stepladder. The second was a 2013 Keystone Passport. It didn't even have a bumper from the factory. I made my own with a bolted connection to the frame. Used the same bracket and platform. No problems whatsoever, no warranty voided, no bumper broken off, no one killed. As soon as I take possession of the 2016 Roo thats the first mod I am making. I already looked at the bumper and attachment, have already fabricated up some additional reinforcement to weld on it, and I'm not worried at all about it.

A lot of it is common sense along with knowing a little about steel, welding, and what it is and isn't capable of.

FYI......Forest River does not warrant the frame on a Rockwood regardless. LCI does.

Now the bumper police can have at it.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

Nice response havercamp, I plan on building a small bracket on the back of my 2016 8311ws this spring. I have welded professionally for 18 years, built 5 race cars and many other thinks. As long as you understand you can't put much wight back there you should be fine.
Red dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #5

This subject has been frustrating to me for years because the naysayers will NEVER give you the details of their failure. They don't tell you exactly how they attached whatever they attached. They don't tell you exactly how much weight they put on it and how far out it was levered. They have pics of a bumper separated from the frame, but no before pic so we know what they had on it and how it was attached.

My suspicions are that they are either not coming forth with the details because they did something obviously stupid and they know we'd all laugh at them if they gave us the details, OR they're just passing on a story "that they heard," for which we also have no details, and is also probably someone else who did something stupid and didn't pass on the details because we'd laugh at him.

On the other hand, those of us who haven't had problems have provided pics and details.

It can be done. Just do it right.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #6

I've fabbed hitches on 3 different SOB fivers and now my current Silverback. We've towed jet skis and small Sea Doo squirt boats all over the mid west since 2000 without issue. Like eluded to you just have to use your head about what and how much you double tow and be knowledgeable on fabbing a hitch to suit your purpose. Hundreds of people double tow behind everything from a Jayco to a Mobile Suites in my arena of RVing. Like said, it can, maybe, might void a frame warranty ... it's not stated as "will". Frame warranties don't last forever anyways and positive proof of fault has to be documented during a warranty issue should one arise.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I've fabbed hitches on 3 different SOB fivers and now my current Silverback. We've towed jet skis and small Sea Doo squirt boats all over the mid west since 2000 without issue. Like eluded to you just have to use your head about what and how much you double tow and be knowledgeable on fabbing a hitch to suit your purpose. Hundreds of people double tow behind everything from a Jayco to a Mobile Suites in my arena of RVing. Like said, it can, maybe, might void a frame warranty ... it's not stated as "will". Frame warranties don't last forever anyways and positive proof of fault has to be documented during a warranty issue should one arise.
We have a Silverback 29RE probably almost identical frame, I would like to remove the OEM class 1 hitch (1 1/4 ") receiver and replace it with a class 3 hitch. (2 " ). Any chance you took pictures of the fab??
Old 01-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #8

I had a Wildcat 5er for 10 years. I used a bumper bracket to carry two bikes. Over a couple of years I noticed that the bumper was giving away from the frame. I had the bumper welded back in place and had a 2" receiver welded to the frame with additional suppports. No Problem for the next eight years.

I had the same configuration setup with our new Mini-Lite. I'm satisfied.

Do what ever you think is safe for you and enjoy tour travels.
2014 Silverado 1500
retireclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
This subject has been frustrating to me for years because the naysayers will NEVER give you the details of their failure. They don't tell you exactly how they attached whatever they attached. They don't tell you exactly how much weight they put on it and how far out it was levered. They have pics of a bumper separated from the frame, but no before pic so we know what they had on it and how it was attached.

My suspicions are that they are either not coming forth with the details because they did something obviously stupid and they know we'd all laugh at them if they gave us the details, OR they're just passing on a story "that they heard," for which we also have no details, and is also probably someone else who did something stupid and didn't pass on the details because we'd laugh at him.

On the other hand, those of us who haven't had problems have provided pics and details.

It can be done. Just do it right.
I take and post Many Pic's of Shake bumper Setups! It isnt just Net Talk or Facebook,its Real Time Pic's I see and take! When the Bumper End Caps are missing that is the 1st Clue there is a Problem,I know Drill a hole and place a ? through the sheet metal and cap! Here is another Real Deal Failure ready to Happen! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	97749   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4640.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	97750  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #10

The Pic above with the Gen. This platform was held on with 4 5/16 bolts through the sheet metal bumper,he was so proud of his install,he left and came back a few days later and the sheet metal was Puckered out to the rear and the Genny was at a Noticeable Down angle! He said (Back to the Drawing Board)! Youroo!!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I take and post Many Pic's of Shake bumper Setups! It isnt just Net Talk or Facebook,its Real Time Pic's I see and take! When the Bumper End Caps are missing that is the 1st Clue there is a Problem,I know Drill a hole and place a ? through the sheet metal and cap! Here is another Real Deal Failure ready to Happen! Youroo!!
There are ways to do it and ways not to do it. You posted two pics of the ways not to do it. You're always going to have the dumas factor.

You can't make a blanket statement that it can't be done and be done safely without voiding the frame warranty, breaking the bumper, or killing people.

Tonight I'll look on my other server and see if I still have pics of some of my modifications.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
There are ways to do it and ways not to do it. You posted two pics of the ways not to do it. You're always going to have the dumas factor.

You can't make a blanket statement that it can't be done and be done safely without voiding the frame warranty, breaking the bumper, or killing people.

Tonight I'll look on my other server and see if I still have pics of some of my modifications.
I hope your Blanket Statement was not directed at me! Youroo!!
Old 01-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #13

Quote:
I hope your Blanket Statement was not directed at me! Youroo!!
It wasn't. It was directed at post #2 which is the typical blanket statement someone always comes up with every time the bumper deal is mentioned.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #14
Site Team

The important message here is it is not only dependent on how it is attached ( bumper/frame/extra supports) it is also dependent on the the frame (make and model ). What works well on the back of a 34ft MH frame will not work on the back of a 24ft ultra light TT. If you are looking for info pro or con on adding something on the bumper, be sure you look at info from others with similar units. This is no different than answering the question will my TV tow that 5er. Because the guy with a 1ton dually can doesn't mean your Chevy 2 can.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The important message here is it is not only dependent on how it is attached ( bumper/frame/extra supports) it is also dependent on the the frame (make and model ). What works well on the back of a 34ft MH frame will not work on the back of a 24ft ultra light TT. If you are looking for info pro or con on adding something on the bumper, be sure you look at info from others with similar units. This is no different than answering the question will my TV tow that 5er. Because the guy with a 1ton dually can doesn't mean your Chevy 2 can.
Very true.
Here's pictures of the Rockwood twin to my Flagstaff Ultra Lite 5er with a bumper/frame heavy enough to support just about anything you want to put back there within reason. Came from the factory designed just for this.

I plan to add this kind of rear storage to mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rack.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	97763   Click image for larger version

Name:	rack_02.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	97764  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #16

They may of may not void the warranty if you have a problem. From my own experience. In 2012 I had purchased a Rockwood 8289. I asked the shop foreman about adding something to the frame so I could haul my bikes.His response was "We'll take care of you, don't worry about it.". For whatever reason I never added anything to the bumper. the second year I owned it I noticed a funny slope to the floor. It turns out I had a frame problem. The dealer contacted the warranty company and I had to send pictures of the bumper along with other pics to verify there was nothing added and never had been anything added. Buyer beware and enter at your own risk. BTW, the people at Rockwood are great to work with but at this point you are working with Lippert of current frame manufacturer.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Very true.
Here's pictures of the Rockwood twin to my Flagstaff Ultra Lite 5er with a bumper/frame heavy enough to support just about anything you want to put back there within reason. Came from the factory designed just for this.

I plan to add this kind of rear storage to mine.
I have the same thing on my SOB TT. That thing is built like a tank.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #18
Canadian Member

If the bumper fails in any way and you've modified it without the manufacturer's (FR and frame manufacturer) written consent, they WILL NOT honor any warranty. Period.

Now, if, like Mr. Havercamp, you can get a licensed structural engineer to do a design for you - and they're willing to stamp and sign their name on a shop drawing - have at it. Now you have someone to blame. If you, or a welder friend, do the mod, you're on your own. I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, I'm just saying you won't have anyone to blame for a failure but the guy in the mirror because your insurance company won't pay for the repairs either.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman71 View Post
They may of may not void the warranty if you have a problem. From my own experience. In 2012 I had purchased a Rockwood 8289. I asked the shop foreman about adding something to the frame so I could haul my bikes.His response was "We'll take care of you, don't worry about it.". For whatever reason I never added anything to the bumper. the second year I owned it I noticed a funny slope to the floor. It turns out I had a frame problem. The dealer contacted the warranty company and I had to send pictures of the bumper along with other pics to verify there was nothing added and never had been anything added. Buyer beware and enter at your own risk. BTW, the people at Rockwood are great to work with but at this point you are working with Lippert of current frame manufacturer.

The amusing thing about this. I have yet to see a weld on anything made by (LCI) Lippert that doesn't look like it was done by 1st grader. They produce some true garbage but you don't have much choice do you? The biggest part of adding a rear mount to any of these is fixing LCI's BS. Have you ever taken a good close look at how they (LCI) assemble these things? You do not get power plant and pipeline quality welding paying people $12 an hour.

Itat, just to be clear my guy didn't stamp anything I just had him run the numbers I came up with. I figured since he designed the iron in the 20 story building we were working on, he could tell me if my bumper and platform would hold a tote tank and aluminum step ladder without causing armageddon.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #20

Quote:
You STILL HAVE NOT posted any pics of a failure with before and after pics. So far as we know, those setups are still going down the road just fine. Frankly, I can't tell from your pics on how they are actually attached.

Did you crawl under that generator pic and see if the receiver was a beefed up one welded to the frame? Or are you just assuming it's a receiver bolted to the 4" bumper? I know I sure can't tell from your pic.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, 8280ws, forest river, frame, hitch