Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #21

prairiecamper ... here's photos
[/IMG]

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:44 PM   #22
Canadian Member

dieselguy, is the frame on your Silverback a rolled I-beam or is it plate steel that LCI welded (poorly) together into an "I" shape?

Folks need to be aware that some RVs have better frames than others. Ultra Lite trailers will typically have the welded plate I-beam which is not as strong as a true rolled I-beam.

I'm neither a welder nor a structural engineer but I do know the above statement to be true. I'm just saying that Ultra Lite trailer owners who are thinking about adding a bike rack or hitch to their unit should seek advice from knowledgeable and skilled people before attempting that mod.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:56 PM   #23

It's a true 12" I-Beam, however a hitch similar to this was installed on my old 2000 Montana 2850RK which did have the plate steel welded together to form the welded plate I-Beam. It pulled a double jet ski trailer over 25,000 miles without issue. I do agree, most welds on today's units are sub par and not all frames are created equal. I posted these photos mainly in response to "prairiecamper's" request who also owns a Silverback.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:16 AM   #24

Wait until the warranty is up and then it is all your baby. On my 8289 the curb side frame laid over to the curb side due to the weight of the slide on that side. Rockwood removed the entire box off the frame, replaced and gusseted the new frame and replaced the floor. Even with this type of failure Lippert wanted pics of the bumper to prove there had not been any mods to the frame. It would have sucked if I had put the bike rack on and then this failure happened.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
It's a true 12" I-Beam, however a hitch similar to this was installed on my old 2000 Montana 2850RK which did have the plate steel welded together to form the welded plate I-Beam. It pulled a double jet ski trailer over 25,000 miles without issue. I do agree, most welds on today's units are sub par and not all frames are created equal. I posted these photos mainly in response to "prairiecamper's" request who also owns a Silverback.
Thanks dieselguy, The pics are great, I have a new Silverback with a 1-1/4" factory installed bike rack and I would like to install the 2" receiver. This gives me some ideas to discuss with my welder.
Crew/6.5 Bed
Pullrite Superglide
Duramax/Allison
Busybeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
You STILL HAVE NOT posted any pics of a failure with before and after pics. So far as we know, those setups are still going down the road just fine. Frankly, I can't tell from your pics on how they are actually attached.

Did you crawl under that generator pic and see if the receiver was a beefed up one welded to the frame? Or are you just assuming it's a receiver bolted to the 4" bumper? I know I sure can't tell from your pic.
I am sorry that I didnt post enough Pic,s Before and After to meet your desires! I doubt that i will chase down all the units that i have Pic's of for future Pic for you also! I am Not a Pro Picture Taker but I can see Very clear when something is Not Installed or Made Properly! I look forward to all the Detailed Before and After Pic's You Post? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #27

If reciever should "not" be used why doesn't the factory weld a plate over the hole and no one will think of using it?????
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #28
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Tube was cut for hitch....didn't come that way
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #29
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
prairiecamper ... here's photos
[/IMG]

Nicely done!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:49 AM   #30

Thanks ... What I didn't mention was, I basically removed the weiney hitch and rear sewer tube completely from the frame and started over. I cut the sewer tube in two and welded new 4" channel on to it and then onto the frame where it was originally without the factory hitch setup. If you noticed, I also installed the electric jacks that CC won't put on if the unit has "level up". It surely supplemented the stability past what "level up" did.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman71 View Post
Wait until the warranty is up and then it is all your baby. On my 8289 the curb side frame laid over to the curb side due to the weight of the slide on that side. Rockwood removed the entire box off the frame, replaced and gusseted the new frame and replaced the floor. Even with this type of failure Lippert wanted pics of the bumper to prove there had not been any mods to the frame. It would have sucked if I had put the bike rack on and then this failure happened.
I agree on being better off to do after the warranty, however the situation you describe is the entire point of the Magnuson Moss warranty act. Clearly the slide out caused the frame failure yet LCI wanted to see pics of the bumper. That was just to have a potential excuse to not honor the warranty. If you would of had a bike rack on the bumper LCI would of had to prove that the bike rack contributed to the failure in order to void the warranty. If they would of pulled that crap on you as soon as you said the word "Magnuson", I bet they would of changed direction in a hurry. And if they didn't change direction you may have had to add another word like "litigation". Now if you put a bike rack on the bumper and hung a Jersey barrier on it you deserve to void your warranty.

Magnuson-Moss is why you can add a tuner to a vehicle, or change the sound system, or any other modification within reason, and not have to worry too much about a manufacturer raking you over the coals.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by upontop View Post
"Adding anything onto the bumper or frame of your trailer can void the warranty of your trailer's frame. The trailer is a light weight trailer and the frame is only built to handle what we put on it here at the factory. I would advise against adding any attachment onto your bumper or frame."

Thank you

Jake Carter
Rockwood/Flagstaff
Look at this thread:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...eel-82307.html

There are two links in message 10 you will want to look at also, both very interesting.

I think that response from FR is just a good old fashion CYA, or in their case CTA (cover their as*). My welder has about 30 years experience doing modifications and he said he sees no problem with the platform he welded on my bumper. When I talked with FR they told me their main concern was with vibration. They didn't know what to say when I asked them about the spare tire carrier that bounces all over the place, that was factory added. So to cover my butt I removed it. I just toss the spare in the bed of my truck when on the road.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #33

We just picked up a 2016 Rockwood 2607 and it came with the factory rear ladder and bike carrier attachment for the ladder.

My question is, if the frame is that prone to bending from "Extra weight" at the rear, then why is it ok to use a ladder mount bike carrier but not ok to use a frame mounted carrier? Won't the added weight of the bikes on the ladder cause the same issue as on the frame?
GloNDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #34

Mr Carter from FR sent me the same response "word for word". Since he represents the factory I'm going with that AND considering these are lightweight builds to begin with and all the potential problems including all that has been said wrt bent frames, accidental drop offs while on the road (Yikes!), warranty issues and so on I am not going to mod mine...at least anytime soon.

Btw, I also thought of reinforcing the frame rails full length but then I thought I might overload the axles...at some point.

This choice is a disappointing one as I originally intended to mount a 250lb scooter on the bumper, however, instead of the bumper thingy I may get a bigger truck, or just go without. So for now, I am happy with this decision because there seems to be enough problems with trailers without me adding to it.

I'm making note of Mr Havercamp's input ...."Magnuson" and "litigation". Great Stuff - I hope I do not have to whip those out anytime soon.

Best,

Craig Bean - Los Angeles
2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2003 Dodge Quad Cab Diesel 2WD 3.73 gears Banks System
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #35
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloNDark View Post
We just picked up a 2016 Rockwood 2607 and it came with the factory rear ladder and bike carrier attachment for the ladder.

My question is, if the frame is that prone to bending from "Extra weight" at the rear, then why is it ok to use a ladder mount bike carrier but not ok to use a frame mounted carrier? Won't the added weight of the bikes on the ladder cause the same issue as on the frame?
I suspect the ladder-mounted bike carrier is a dealer installed product, not from the factory. Do you have a picture?

Old 01-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #36
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBean7672 View Post
Mr Carter from FR sent me the same response "word for word". Since he represents the factory I'm going with that AND considering these are lightweight builds to begin with and all the potential problems including all that has been said wrt bent frames, accidental drop offs while on the road (Yikes!), warranty issues and so on I am not going to mod mine...at least anytime soon.

Btw, I also thought of reinforcing the frame rails full length but then I thought I might overload the axles...at some point.

This choice is a disappointing one as I originally intended to mount a 250lb scooter on the bumper, however, instead of the bumper thingy I may get a bigger truck, or just go without. So for now, I am happy with this decision because there seems to be enough problems with trailers without me adding to it.

I'm making note of Mr Havercamp's input ...."Magnuson" and "litigation". Great Stuff - I hope I do not have to whip those out anytime soon.

Best,

Craig Bean - Los Angeles
2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2003 Dodge Quad Cab Diesel 2WD 3.73 gears Banks System
I carry a 300lb scooter (trike) on a platform up behind cab, loading it from the side, and tow a 5er....you need a 8' bed....or a flat-bed
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #37
Canadian Member

"caveat emptor". Anyone taking legal or financial advice from this forum does so at their own risk.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I suspect the ladder-mounted bike carrier is a dealer installed product, not from the factory. Do you have a picture?
It is not a dealer installed option, it's on the original build sheet/invoice for the trailer as order by the dealer. I called Forest River to verify it is covered under full factory warranty and will not effect the warranty of the frame should we have an issue. The guy that I talked to is supposed to send me a letter stating that.

I will get a pic of the actual bike rack itself tonight when I get home.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #39

I think I would want a letter saying the ladder is not going to come off along with the bike rack, bikes, the whole ball of wax.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ladder is attached with small sheet metal screws that are through thin fiberglass which is adhered to 1/8" luan plywood. Behind that, laminated between the foam and luan will be thin sheet metal, probably less than 20 ga as a backer for the ladder attachment. Then you have the RV screw factor which is first over torque them until they are stripped. If they are stripped to the point that they back out, glue them in with some caulk

But don't attach your toilet paper holder to the bumper, oh the humanity. The spare tire and grill is ok though.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I think I would want a letter saying the ladder is not going to come off along with the bike rack, bikes, the whole ball of wax.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ladder is attached with small sheet metal screws that are through thin fiberglass which is adhered to 1/8" luan plywood. Behind that, laminated between the foam and luan will be thin sheet metal, probably less than 20 ga as a backer for the ladder attachment. Then you have the RV screw factor which is first over torque them until they are stripped. If they are stripped to the point that they back out, glue them in with some caulk

But don't attach your toilet paper holder to the bumper, oh the humanity. The spare tire and grill is ok though.
This is exactly my point. Bikes are safe and not throwing the trailer over weight when attached to the ladder rack but putting them on the frame is the end of the world.

Tags
280, 8280ws, forest river, frame, hitch