Old 09-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #1

Frameless Window fixed- Rockwood Mini-Lite 1809S

We purchased our 2016 Rockwood Mini-Lite 1809S in Early Spring 2016 and had it delivered from Michigan to Massachusetts. There were none available locally because this model had been discontinued and we really wanted this size. The only mechanical issue we have had so far is the curb side front frameless window opened itself up about an inch each trip. With the frameless windows this means it flaps in the wind while traveling down the road. We tried duct tape as a short term fix, but boy was it ugly. I tried FR Forum and Internet searches to find part numbers to replace the knob and locking mechanism myself but had no luck. We recently had it fixed under warranty by Orchard Trailers in Whately, MA and I thought someone may want the part numbers I could not find:
Window Knob with Screw - 10-19627A
9.5 Window Crank Arms - 10-19668A (9.5" is the length of the arms)
The service guys drilled out the rivets and replaced the mechanism in 1.25 hours while we waited.

Equalizer E4 - 600 TW, 6000 GTW
Indi the Camping Havanese
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #2
Head Rambler

Glad that you finally got it fixed.

Thanks for posting the part numbers and even the length.

Did they re-rivet the arms or bolt them?

Old 09-15-2016, 10:20 AM   #3

I will confirm repair methodology and report after work.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #4

The frameless window glass size is 37" wide X 23" tall, the new window mechanism only rivets inside the camper, the "V" shaped metal arms that extend to the window itself are not permanently attached to the window but are in fact fed into a channel at the base of the window so when you crank the window open the attachment points slide in the channel and allow the window to open and close.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #5

You have the part numbers. What company makes them? Also where can you buy them?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
74 nights camped in 2016, 121 nights camped in 2015
Cmccul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:53 AM   #6

The parts were ordered by the repair facility after we discussed the problem and determined it would be a warranty issue. I was never able to get the part numbers from Forest River Mini-Lite contact by email or a WEB search. I am just posting this info so others may be helped in the future.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

similar problem

I had a similar problem. The window came open at highway speeds. The small parts that attach to the crank arms are lost. Forest River tells me that they are part of the window and that I must purchase an entire window to get those parts. Time to check out the local salvage yard or start some fabricating.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:07 AM   #8

Here's my experience: I bought my 1809s last year several states away and had that same window problem from day 1. After several attempts at "over tightening" the mechanism (didn't resolve anything), I resorted to the duct tape fix until my first shakedown trip was done (about a month on the road). Then I went to a FR dealer at home and ordered the window crank arm set. They arrived within 10 days and cost about $66.00. I didn't even try to make it a warranty issue. I drilled out the rivets and reassembled with short stainless bolts and aircraft nuts. Well...on my next trip I experienced the same thing right away, and only on that front curbside window. I should also add here that even my temporary Gorilla brand duck tape closure would eventually come loose every few days and that window would be bouncing around. I had to retape often. My personal theory is there are some weird air pressure things going on inside the unit when on the road. I haven't experimented with open/closed bathroom vent, but that is something to try...
Anyway, to wrap this up I finally found a fix when I removed the little plastic open/close knob and put on a small vice grip pliers on the shaft. The vice grip isn't for putting on more torque. It works because when the window is closed the small pliers is attached at maybe a 2 o'clock position and it's weight is enough to prevent the actuation shaft from turning (opening the window) from the air pressures. It isn't pretty, but it cured that problem.

Per my invoice, the part ordered from FR is 10-19 54036, support arm 9.5", $60.40 plus $5.19 tax. But as I mentioned, that did not fix the opening-up issue.
While I'm at it, I have recently done the window channel spacer-strip 'snip' hack (I snipped off about 2") mentioned elsewhere on this forum and really appreciate the additional open window spacing.
Happy Trails!
Old 09-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #9

ongoing

I agree with the design issue. I think that there is an aerodynamic problem with the wind at highway speed getting under the edge of the frameless window. I have held the window closed, for now, successfully at highway speed with a bungee strap. Duct tape on the outside didn't work worth a damn. I am not happy with FRs response that I am probably going to have to buy an entirely new window, or the fact that three different FR dealers seemed clueless as to how to effect a fix. I am sure that I can fabricate something that works. In the meantime I am looking at a local RV salvage yard to see if they can help.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #10

Same Problem with Rockwood 2703WS

I am having the same problem with our Rockwood 2703WS, the window works itself open traveling down the road. Hope there is a solution other than whole new window!

Tags
1809s, frame, rockwood