Old 12-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #1

Free Standing Dining Table

Has anyone tried traveling with the free standing dining table unscrewed from the floor? I got the option under the assumption that it is "free standing", however it is screwed tightly to the floor. I would like the freedom to move it some to create more room etc. Has anyone attempted it?

blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

Welcome to FRF! Your 5ver is much like mine.

It is, simply, screwed to the floor. I moved mine a few inches out from the slide wall because it was too close to allow the day night shade to be lowered. (Ooops!)

I then found out the screws that held the table in place were longer than necessary and when I reinstalled the table they went through the slide floor and began to damage the carpet in front of the slide when the slide was moved. I just backed them up a bit so they did not protrude through the slide floor. You might be careful of this.

The table is VERY top heavy. You'll need some way to latch the table to the floor for transport. D-rings spaced about the dining area with tie down straps to secure the table may be an answer.

There's no reason why you couldn't but IMHO that just adds to set up/tear down effort. Perhaps you'd be happier with a permanent relocation, or maybe replace the table with a nice folding table. Some have done that so the table can be taken outside.

As long as the table is firmly secured for travel there will not be a problem. But the table is surprisingly heavy, and once it gets moving it can do a lot of damage.

Enjoy.

2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
Paul & Sheri

I worry about the chairs myself and tie them together after I turn them on their sides. I would recommend to keep the table mounted and buy a folding table and store it under the bed if I needed to use a table elsewhere. I don't want many loose items around myself.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

We just bungy tie the tops of the chairs together and have no problems with them moving. Would not unbolt the table as I see no big advantage as it is heavy. Had to replace the top on ours and removed it to do the replacement.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We just bungy tie the tops of the chairs together and have no problems with them moving. Would not unbolt the table as I see no big advantage as it is heavy. Had to replace the top on ours and removed it to do the replacement.
I thought about asking the PDI guys to reposition the table in our new 5er, turning it parallel to the wall instead of perpendicular...as it somewhat blocks the view of the fireplace while sitting in the rocker recliners..

Yes, that would mean only three can be seated but (shrug) since we'll also be removing one of the bar stools that come in it.

As to keeping the table unsecured and it being top heavy, what about just flipping it upside down on a blanket, or even in place there on the carpet, in a open area floor space? Don't recommend it, it's just a thought that came to mind.

Thanks for the idea of strapping those chairs together. I highly suspect that's what broke the string on the day/nite shade in the V-Lite.

I keep a small jar (bought at Harbor Freight) of those mini bungee cords in our RV. Those oughta do it.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
...I keep a small jar (bought at Harbor Freight) of those mini bungee cords in our RV. Those oughta do it.
We use the loop & ball ones. Two together on a pair of chairs.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #7

When traveling, my four chairs are in their place around the table. A strap goes around a leg on each chair and the table pedestal. The chairs haven't moved yet but I've only traveled about 600 miles so far.
blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
When traveling, my four chairs are in their place around the table. A strap goes around a leg on each chair and the table pedestal. The chairs haven't moved yet but I've only traveled about 600 miles so far.
That's the way we secured ours at first, but being too lazy to get down on the floor and thread the strap around, we started using the loop & ball cords and like it a lot faster and just as good.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #9

I secure our chairs to the table like Darrel does, but when we dig it out of storage I'll be securing our chairs to the table like OldCoot and others do.

I also go one step further. I took a length of pipe isolation and cut lengths the same length as the sides of the top of the back of the chairs. Confused yet? That way they won't beat each other up while traveling.

I also put a couple on the kitchen island where the chairs touch when the slide is in for the same reason. No marks so far.

'13 Windjammer 3025W
'14 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins
No dogs. No Cats. No kids. Just us.
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #10

My unit has 2 small D rings attached to the slide floor under each chair. The chairs are not strapped to the table in travel mode.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote