Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #1

Fresh tank issue

I got to use my Windjammer 3006Wk for the first time this weekend. I filled with water until no more would go in. It actually started to rush back out the fill hole at me so I put the cap on quick. I was surprised that no water was squirting out the vent. It gurgled in the vent for a while but stopped as the tank filled.

Our tank indicator said 2/3 full. We went ahead and set-up. We had to dewinterize the trailer so that wasted some water flushing lines and the hot water tank. We ran out of water the next morning. No showers, only one round of dishes.

I went ahead and pulled the slides in, dumped the grey tank, then filled again being more careful to fill slower near the end. Again no water out the vent, water shooting out the fill pipe and I stuck the cap on. 2/3 full on the indicator.

I'm assuming the vent is plugged, kinked or to low on the tank.

What do you think?

Linc
missing_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #2

I had a similar issue on my new 8280 5th wheel on the first couple of fills last summer. I have a small vent tube (with screen) that is right next to the fresh water fill (I assume yours has one too). This vent may be partially plugged. It should vent as you fill fresh water and gurgle or burp. Mine did not, so I used a small piece of tubing the same size as the screened vent hole and blew sharply into it a few times. Took it with me and repeated a few times as I filled. When I got home I used my air compressor and did the same thing. It seemed to clear the blockage and now I can fill the tank entirely full. Keep in mind that you still need to fill it rather slowly. I purchased an inexpensive fresh water hose end that also helps with filling.

My guess is that there is a piece of plastic or debris left over from the fabrication process in the fresh water tank. Naturally, it finds its way into the vent tube.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
WFD

First off...the vent is strictly that...a vent..its not an overflow, so water won't come from it when you are full. Secondly,,,you cant always rely on the gauges...they are notorious for giving false readings.
As previously posted you do have to fill slowly. They sell these smaller diameter fill tubes that screw onto your hose that you can stick down the fill tube a little bit and prevent some of the splash back.

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #4

I'm going to try tomorrow and see if I can get it full by going slow
Old 04-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #5

I'm sure you would have noticed this, but just for conversation. Did you ensure the fresh tank drain is fully closed?
NHFire 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:34 AM   #6

I had this problem with my previous trailer. Went inside and found the hoses were bent and crimped. Rotating them corrected the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #7

I'm relatively new to owning a travel trailer but with my pop up & now my Avenger ATI 27bbs, when I fill the fresh water tank, I always have water coming out of the vent hole when the tank is full. I do not need to fill the tanks slow either. When I fill the Avenger tank and pull the garden hose out of the fill hole, water shoots out until I get it capped. When I check the tank level it is full. It sounds to me that there is something plugged in the vent hole.

How old is the trailer? It's possible there is hard water build up on the gauge sensor. I think you can mix up a solution of baking soda and water, fill the tank and let it sit for a while. Then flush the tank. You would have to try to look up how to mix a solution in the correct ration for that.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Brief tutorial on Fresh water tanks and a suggestion.

1) The levelness of the camper (in relation to the tank) will determine how much water you can get in before it comes out the fill port (see photo).

2) The location of the fill port and vent line on the side of the tank makes it critical that the vent not have a bend in it. When traveling, water can start to siphon out the vent (from sloshing) and can slowly drain the water out to less than 1/2 depending on how level you tow the camper.

3) Your fresh water tank should always be accurate unless your water has algae or bacterial slime in it. Both these situations are "bad" and need to be corrected. Only a complete sanitization and flush will correct fresh tank "bugs" and wall slime in your water tank.

4) Probe location is particularly critical in the fresh tank, since a "full" tank (water coming out the fill port) may not read so, due to trapped air in the high part of the tank.

5) Depending on the location of the pump feed line, not all the water may be usable. You may run out of water with the 1/3 full probe still under water, but the pump feed line sucking air.

Your situation is shown in the photo. Tank will take no more water and the tank monitor reads "2/3" full.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 019.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	49381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 020.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	49382  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:47 AM   #9

The (Damage?) could possibly have been done (Before) the owners have their First PDI! If whoever filled the tank the first time (1) force fed the tank by (placing the male fitting into the fill hole and not filling SLOW to let air escape at the fill hole) this forces water out the Small vent line,also leaving water in the vent line (at the Sag locations) thus NO vent action in the future! The above Pics.show most of the reasons for F/W tank problems, removal of the (Enclosed Underbelly) is the only way to know what your problems are. This will allow you to correct (routing of the Fill & Vent hoses,and LOTS of wires to secure and protect from Future rub & wear problems! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #10

Pressed small piece of tubing over the vent and blew into it. I could feel when the water cleared out.

I then filled it all the way full!! I guess I will add the tubing to my water fitting kit

Linc
Old 04-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #11

Glad you are back in business and it was a simple fix! Yes, keep that little piece of tubing with you as you travel, just in case.

Tags
tank