Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 10:23 PM   #1

Fresh water overflow drains constantly with city water

Brand new 2889WSC fifth wheel.
Two possibly related issues.
Equipped with shower miser.
Water heater upgraded to Suburban continuous.
problem #1: Connected city water. Fresh water overflow spills out under trailer at hose rate. I see some other people saying this is a fresh water check valve issue that can be fixed by running pump and clearing air from lines. Sound right?
problem #2: shower miser hot and cold control is nearly impossible to set to warm. I am thinking this MIGHT have to do with the switch in type of hot water heater. If so, does anyone know if it can be replaced with a legacy style valve/faucet set?
ElDorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDorado View Post
Brand new 2889WSC fifth wheel.
Two possibly related issues.
Equipped with shower miser.
Water heater upgraded to Suburban continuous.
problem #1: Connected city water. Fresh water overflow spills out under trailer at hose rate. I see some other people saying this is a fresh water check valve issue that can be fixed by running pump and clearing air from lines. Sound right?
problem #2: shower miser hot and cold control is nearly impossible to set to warm. I am thinking this MIGHT have to do with the switch in type of hot water heater. If so, does anyone know if it can be replaced with a legacy style valve/faucet set?
#1, You have to change the valve on your TT to city water, otherwise it is filling the fresh water tanks and just keeps overflowing.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Not know how your city water comes into the rig I would say it is a stuck check valve. easy fix, turn off city water, start water pump let it pressurize then turn off and remove pressure from system by opening faucet, close faucet and open city water that should cause the check valve to close and prevent the FW tank from filling.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #4

Follow up: We ended up making an appointment with a Forest River service facility. The first visit was not fruitful because they weren't able to reproduce the problem. After I continued to experience the problem at home, a second visit was scheduled. This time, they were able to reproduce the problem and tracked it to the Suburban on demand hot water heater we upgraded to when we bought the trailer, installed by the dealer. It seems a check valve was faulty. Monday, they will be contacting Suburban and we assume the part will be delivered installed.

Side note, it doesn't matter if the fresh water or either black water is full or not.

Because of the water issue, I haven't been able to try the shower. It is possible the valve fix will make the shower operate correctly.,
Old 06-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
#1, You have to change the valve on your TT to city water, otherwise it is filling the fresh water tanks and just keeps overflowing.
That was not the problem. See my follow up.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Not know how your city water comes into the rig I would say it is a stuck check valve. easy fix, turn off city water, start water pump let it pressurize then turn off and remove pressure from system by opening faucet, close faucet and open city water that should cause the check valve to close and prevent the FW tank from filling.
I tried this but it didn't work in this case.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:08 PM   #7

I see you have a shower miser. If I understand it's operation correctly it's supposed to recycle water to the tank when switched on and the hot water is turned on to warm up.

Since this is a possible source of water entering the tank is it possible the shower valve is turned on, the miser set to bypass, and the shower head merely turned off instead of the actual knob/valve?

Usually shower head valves will let water pass in a small amount when they are turned off but with the miser re-routing water to the tank?

Just speculating but worth checking.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:36 AM   #8

Problem fixed

I ended up having to call out a mobile repair guy who found my problem relatively quickly. I had replaced the drain valve indicated by the Forest River service center myself and that did not fix the problem, but the mobile guy found the winterization valve was open. The drain valve I replaced has a red knob. I never actually saw the winterization valve he closed, but it is somewhere at the bottom, below the access panel.

I still haven't tried the shower after that was fixed, so not sure if the one fix, fixed the other.

Tags
city water, drain, fresh water, water