Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #41

Love my Murphy bed

I have a Mini Lite with a Murphy bed and love it. During the day I have a couch with the bed folded up taking up very little space. At night it takes about 30 seconds to fold the bed down and remove the strap that holds the pillows & covers in place while it's up. It has a regular heated mattress, not one that folds, and is very comfortable. In the morning I make the bed, attach the strap, and fold it up. Very easy & convenient. A topper would fit on top of the mattress with no problem.

2016 Chevy Colorado
RogerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #42

Best of both worlds!

Went through the same dilemma last summer. Tired of the tent work. It was a ‘07 233 Roo. No slide, 3 queen tip outs. This almost 60 young mans back isn’t so good anymore either! We looked at the dark side and didn’t like the dark! Ended up with a ‘18, 23bds Roo. 1 tip out, very easy compared to the older Roo’s and a Murphey bed. Best of both worlds and can travel cross country and stay in truck stops without tipping out! When camping it’s usually just the two of us. Wife likes the tent, I put a tv in it for her, and I get the Murphey bed with the dog! Check one out before you make up your mind. Highly recommend the 23bds Roo!
Seamule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #43

Congrats

On your new 2019 Flagstaff 25 BRDS!!!
Old 02-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #44

[QUOTE=JotoColorado;2016396]thanks for all the replies...I would like to say that because of them, and because of spending 1/2 hour in one by ourselves on our favorite RV Lot..lucky for us they carry Forest River....we bought a new 2019 Flagstaff 25 BRDS

Congratulations and Happy Camping in your new TT

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JotoColorado View Post
...I’m glad to hear that the Murphy can fold up with sheets etc....

Please be aware, ... there is only 1" of clearance between your mattress/sheets and the floor when you put the Murphy Bed up against the wall. ... Even though that area is closed off it can still get very dirty and extremely dusty from just using your trailer, dust bunnies galore after a period of time. ... So if any of your bedding is beyond that edge of the mattress it's going to be touching the floor and will be sweeping into that dirt and dust. ... We pull our sheets a few inches away from that edge and tuck them under the foot end of the mattress, then click the holding straps into place. ... That prevents our bedding from touching the dirty/dusty floor. ... I've posted these pics before and one replay was something close to "I don't care", ... so whatever your opinion is about this, at least now you know what's happening in an area that's not easy to see into. ... I had to do major MB repair and had to cut both side panels away to get into that area for the repair, that's when I discovered what I would not have known if I'd not done that. .... I put the panels back in place after the repair, but having made them removable its now fairly easy to clean that area. ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0601.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	195977   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0598.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	195978  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #46

We have the Microlite 25 brds. Like others have said it only takes a minute to fold the bed down or put it up. We make the bed in the morning strap the pillows in an fold it up. The morning we are heading home we change the sheets so we are ready for the next trip. I have never felt any draft from the storage below the bed.

I do not have the grill in the outside kitchen. We have the two burner stove and use it alot.
mjp1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #47

We purchased a 2509s last fall. I went from a FR SRV28 Toy Hauler with a fixed bed.

I love the Murphy bed...and that's saying something, because I didn't want one. My wife liked the extra room folded up...so she talked me into it...and she was right, this Murphy Bed is excellent. It stows away in seconds (even with the bed unmade and the mattress topper on it), and deploys in even less time. Plus I now have a smaller/lighter camper that makes me happy!

We have yet to use the included grill, we just like my ancient Coleman Roadtripper too much...plus attaching something that hot directly to the exterior of the RV gives me pause.

The stabilizer jacks were also a sore point for me...my toy hauler had remote powered scissor jacks, so I was spoiled. The 2609s's jacks are just not that much of an issue...I use a cordless drill to raise/lower (don't tell the warranty people), and they're done. I have had no issue with ground clearance.

I dislike the front storage compartment. I may not be overly good at closing the damn hatch! So, yeah, bugs. However, when I close up that very small area...no breeze under the bed/couch. Let me reiterate, with the space taken up by the Murphy Bed, the front storage is small and inconvenient.

I'm from Wisconsin, and have camped in the cold. I did not purchase the underbelly tank heaters...I'll dry camp in cold conditions and let myself not worry about destroying stuff if/when the heaters cannot keep up with the chill!!

Hope this helped,
Tony D
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #48
Engineer of Crazy Train

Coming from a Hybrid, the one thing we hated was setting up. One difference I see between the Murphy Bed and a hybrid tent end is that you can get all your sheets on the bed at home and have it almost ready to go. They hybrid beds, you have to make the beds when you get there.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #49

We have the 201bhxl and love it. However, I did seal off under the bed in the storage compartment where the couch folds down. I also cut a piece of wood for each side where the Murphy bed folds down. I took measurements every two inches around the round end to get the correct shape and screwed them in.

For the murphy bed it is simply folding the couch down and lowering the bed. Five seconds to put down and back up.

We keep a three inch topper and blankets on ours when we fold it up. That night pull the couch and let the bed down. We are ready for a great nights sleep
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #50

We take delivery of our 2019 2509S next week. Can't wait to get out with it. For us, it's the perfect balance of space and compact package. We have a 2 and 4 year old so the extra floor space on a rainy day will be welcome. The bed is easy to flip up as stated and having the couch to stretch out will be welcome.

My wife and I both grew up with pop-up campers. We thought about a hybrid, but the biggest negative was the canvas. It's a pita to dry and we don't have the ability to let it dry out at home if we have to close shop on a rainy day. My dad's popup lives at a campground 200 miles from home and there's nothing worse than having to make an extra trip to dry it out the weekend after a fishing trip.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #51

We also have a 201bhxl. The murphy bed and bunkbeds were the selling point for me. Easy setup and 8/10 as comfortable as home. Ours isnt too drafty but we also dont camp in extreme cold.
Bikemobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:44 PM   #52

We are in the same position. Making the hybrid beds is MUCH more work than the murphy bed from what I can tell. Did you get the 2509S. We are looking at the same one without the bunks. I have the same thoughts as you. If you bought the 2509S are you happy with it?
dianebeckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:52 PM   #53

We are in the same position. Making the hybrid beds is MUCH more work than the murphy bed from what I can tell. Did you get the 2509S. We are looking at the same one without the bunks. I have the same thoughts as you. If you bought the 2509S are you happy with it?
dianebeckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 10:08 PM   #54

Went with 25brds turned bunks into single bunks, use as shelves to hold all manner of things, floor space holds both our bikes
dwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 12:54 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebeckman View Post
Hi Diane. Our trailer wasn't handy to look the day you asked and then I forgot. We have the model 2504S. We are very happy with it. Because I can do-it-myself on a lot of things, I have been able to stay away from the Camping World shop where we bought it or from other overbooked schedules shops. The most significant issue was the failure of one of the DC drive motors on the slide assembly. I have been very faithful about caulk/sealing the roof membrane with Dicor non-leveling lap sealant the moment I spot any cracking of the membrane. We did remove the upper bunk assembly when our grandson got to be about 9 years old and felt claustrophobic in the lower bunk. Last week I added an additional external weatherproof 15Amp receptacle to feed a supplemental 15Amp GFI receptacle inside the area underneath the TV because we have found nearly every receptacle is fed from the same single 15A breaker in the main panel. The auxiliary circuit will allow us to have a space heater still running while we are making supper, coffee or whatever needs most of the one manufacturer-supplied circuit.
Best wishes and have a pleasant time wherever you go. (We had to spend six months from September to April here in Iowa winter because of an extreme event in one of our kid's families. It is a good unit.)
dkrohse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, hybrid