Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #1

Front Jack Issues (Fifth Wheel)

My wife and I searched for 3 months for a suitable replacement to our old trailer that we sold which was too big. We finally came upon the Rockwood trailers and decided on the 2011 Signature Ultralite 8281SS, my wife loved the floor plan and I liked the length and light weight. Our first time out camping neither the front or rear power jacks would work so we took it to the dealer and they replaced the motor on the rear and the entire front jacks as the gear broke in the front (they had it for two weeks). We went camping two weeks later and the front jacks quit working again I had to leave the trailer hooked up to the truck (good thing the site was flat). It is now at the dealer again to be fixed has anyone else had this issue or are we the only ones. The labels are pealing off the front of the trailer as well not good for a trailer we've only had for 2 months.

Our previous trailer a 2007 Laredo fifth wheel which was too long 35'10" and over 10,000 lbs which we never had problems with was just too big since only 1 of our kids comes with anymore.
Bearinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearinit View Post
My wife and I searched for 3 months for a suitable replacement to our old trailer that we sold which was too big. We finally came upon the Rockwood trailers and decided on the 2011 Signature Ultralite 8281SS, my wife loved the floor plan and I liked the length and light weight. Our first time out camping neither the front or rear power jacks would work so we took it to the dealer and they replaced the motor on the rear and the entire front jacks as the gear broke in the front (they had it for two weeks). We went camping two weeks later and the front jacks quit working again I had to leave the trailer hooked up to the truck (good thing the site was flat). It is now at the dealer again to be fixed has anyone else had this issue or are we the only ones. The labels are pealing off the front of the trailer as well not good for a trailer we've only had for 2 months.

Our previous trailer a 2007 Laredo fifth wheel which was too long 35'10" and over 10,000 lbs which we never had problems with was just too big since only 1 of our kids comes with anymore.
I have a 2011 - 8285WS Signature UltraLite 30 ft and our last 5th was a Laredo 27 ft.
Anyway the fuse for the front legs is in the front cargo access near the battery. It is a 30 amp inline fuse in a rubber shield. Mine blew the first time I used it and I replaced it and I didn't have any problems since.

Oh your 5th wheel will be light compared to your Laredo. It almost seems like nothing is hooked up. You will also like the new type of suspension on the wheels. No more leaf spring creaking when you backup.
Enjoy!
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #3

I have a 2010 8281SS...and I blew the fuse on the front jacks on also. What happened was when I retracted them to the end, I held the button a tad too long and the fuse popped...poor design, there should be a breaker in there instead of a fuse. I'm careful now to watch the jacks where they are and when they fully extended and retracted.

Also.....the front swoosh decal on the front cap came off when I was scrubbing the bugs off. I was miffed at the time, but now I figure I can spot my rig alot easier in the walmart parking lot

2010 Rockwood 8281SS Signature Ultra Light
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 w/6.7 Cummins
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

As above, the only time I blew a fuse for the landing gear was when I retracted them fully and was a little slow in releasing the button. I imagine the rear stabilizers will blow their fuse also if the there's too much load for too long. Just in case, the fuse for the rear stabilizers is in the breaker panel, a 15A.

I've also found that the decal on the front cap isn't adhered very well. Thought it's because the front cap is a higher gloss, smoother fiberglass finish than the rest of the camper.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #5

I wish it was just the fuses. The parts in the landing gear have actually broke, so when we get to site we can't even unload. The last time only the one leg went down and when I opened the hold the bar connecting the two legs was broken off by the gears on the motor which is very frustrating. We never had any issues with any trailer before except the odd fuse.

Iggy you are correct after pulling our heavy Laredo this light Rockwood feels like there is barely anything behind. Going through hills barely makes the 3/4 ton diesel work unlike the old trailer.

The decals started peeling the first time out it wasn't even hot outside, I pressed some of it down myself when they started peeling and they seem to be holding so far. The dealer said they will replace them but we will have to wait for them to come in.

The motor in the rear stabilizers was the issue for us it didn't work the first trip out as well. The first thing I checked was the fuses but they were okay. I had to make a few calls from my cell phone to find out that there are fuses in the front hold beside the battery for both the rear and front jacks as well as in the fuse panel in the trailer.

Thanks for the replies guys I hope the dealer can fix the issue for us so we can go camping again without the frustration.
Bearinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearinit View Post
I wish it was just the fuses. The parts in the landing gear have actually broke, so when we get to site we can't even unload. The last time only the one leg went down and when I opened the hold the bar connecting the two legs was broken off by the gears on the motor which is very frustrating. We never had any issues with any trailer before except the odd fuse.

Iggy you are correct after pulling our heavy Laredo this light Rockwood feels like there is barely anything behind. Going through hills barely makes the 3/4 ton diesel work unlike the old trailer.

The decals started peeling the first time out it wasn't even hot outside, I pressed some of it down myself when they started peeling and they seem to be holding so far. The dealer said they will replace them but we will have to wait for them to come in.

The motor in the rear stabilizers was the issue for us it didn't work the first trip out as well. The first thing I checked was the fuses but they were okay. I had to make a few calls from my cell phone to find out that there are fuses in the front hold beside the battery for both the rear and front jacks as well as in the fuse panel in the trailer.

Thanks for the replies guys I hope the dealer can fix the issue for us so we can go camping again without the frustration.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Make sure your dealer corrects them properly and not just a fuse or relay replacement.
Look at it as ONE BIG ADVENTURE and you have just begun.
All of us have had to iron our problems with our new rigs.
So take it in stride and just think about your next trip to a new place.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood