Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #21

Mine is cracked from debris and a marbling from some nice citizen on the road too. 2017 2109s with about 20,000 miles. It has been cracked for a while. I was told about $800 to fix and ALSO install the old style metal/whatever cover that was on the older models.

I'm going to search some RV salvage yards and hopefully find a cover for it from an older model. I'll figure out how to mount it, but honestly I don't care if I can't open the cover, we never look out that window anyway. It is what it is, an engineering disaster by Rockwood or any mfr that puts a window up front with no protection. Good luck.
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:03 PM   #22

Well. The one small chip on the outside transferred through to the middle layer of the window and instantly caused a network of cracks that covers the entire window. The glass used in these trailer windows is inferior quality. Not up to automotive windshield standards.
Just saying, FR cheaped out on the window even though they advertised it as automotive windshield glass.
morganrc1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:33 PM   #23

Another great FR design flaw. But the designers don’t have to live with it. Kinda like Doctors, they can bury their mistakes.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #24
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

I LOVE the window up front, makes the bed area so roomy. As someone else mentioned, even with the shade up you cannot see in with the dark tint, and you cannot see in at night either, with the shade drawn. We keep the bed down all the time when it's just DH and me, and I love to have the light and view out that front window. The TT is so high off the ground, you see mostly into trees/view, not other campers. Time will tell about potential for cracks, but I agree with Josh the RV Nerd and give a big thumbs-up to the front window design. It also looks pretty darn cool from the outside. Like a big bug head, lol.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #25
Explore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
There is a price you pay for everything, for almost everything is a compromise...
As for the windshield in the front, you will be dealing with risk of chips, colder temperatures in the bedroom (when freezing outside), condensation in subfreezing temperatures and light.
There is a remedy all of those but that is the price you pay to have the windshield.
We love the appearance of the front cap with the windshield from the outside and we appreciate a lot the airy feel it gives our bedroom during the day and the opportunity to check the weather w/o getting out of the bed early morning so for us the above "characteristics" are not a deal breaker.

About chips:
Bought my camper October last year and already put 7000 miles on it.
Coming back from our first trip (2400 miles round trip) in December the windshield got chipped - two small spots close to each other.
After that we got sub freezing temperatures and also above 100F during this summer and the chips didn't progress so I took the camper to the dealer and they said chip is not covered by warranty.
So I called insurance and they sent a technician to fix that.
I haven't got any more chips.
I do have mud flaps on the truck...
RACarvalho: I will need to get RV insurance for our new Mini Lite 2511S and know some insurance companies will not cover rock/debri chips or broken windshields caused by foreign objects on trailers. Can you PM me the name of your insurance company, I would like to take a look at their comprehensive coverages. Thank you.

Camp4two
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #26

Front Window Protection

All the way back to our 1996 Dutchman Duck Model 180 we have had front window awnings that are down in the travel mode and can be raised to your liking when at your campsite. Maybe Forest River can incorporate something along this line to protect the front window. It really looked cool with that flying D-Duck Symbol, at least my kids thought it did. As for me I knew what it's function was intended for.
Eran X. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, window