Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #1

Front window leaks but can't find where water is from!

2014 Rockwood 2909 ss front window is leading in inside but can't really see anything outside. Wiped water from all around outside and still dripping in!
Old 06-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #2

Went in top of trailer and still can't see anything!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130629_151728.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	34216  
Old 06-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #3

The front window in my 2109S leaked on the inside at both bottom corners. Looking at the front of the camper, the top right corner of the window frame wasn't tight against the camper siding. I caulked up that gap. Then on the left, I noticed a few small cracks in the caulking running up the vertical part of the window frame. I added a little caulking to that. Problem solved. No more leaks.

The way we attacked it was dry everything out until it stops running inside. Have someone inside watching for a leak and someone outside using a small controlled spray from the garden hose. We were able to isolate where it was coming in using that method.
GearHd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #4

My 2013 2604WS is leaking in that EXACT SPOT. What did you do to fix it? I want to caulk it up to stop it for now until I can get it into the dealer to pull the window and reseal. Any potential for water damage in the front wall with that leak?

2016 Silverado 2500HD Z71 | Duramax | Crew LTZ
NMWHITIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #5

Nice rig!! That is a BIG awning!

I don't think I will see any damage really. The only thing that can be damaged is the plywood on the inside everything else is foam, aluminum and fiberglass. At least I hope no damage. I looked in the pass thru storage and didn't see any water so it must have been a small amount. This last trip was the first time the canopy over the window was open and it rained so I wonder if it is not the window seal that holds the glass in. I think that since my pillow soaked it up it didn't get far. After the July 4th weekend it is going in for repair. In addition to that leak, I think maybe the bathroom sky lite may have leaked or they used a crappy piece of joint trim, the side windows by the dinette may have leaked because a few weeks ago I had water on the floor and it appeared have gotten the table wet where it meets the wall. AND when i got home from this past trip, one of my tires had bulged!!! Good thing it didn't blow out on me!

Thank God for warranty!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #6

Yeah Im in the same boat. We are taking our out for the 4th so I don't want to take it in for repairs yet. It is just sitting outside (in the rain) dripping. Soaking it up with a towel. Anyways, good luck with your unit. We love ours, with the exception of this small water leak we haven't had any other serious issues since we took delivery in January.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #7

Do like I did and just isolate the leak with a garden hose and then caulk accordingly.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
Do like I did and just isolate the leak with a garden hose and then caulk accordingly.
I would, but we are dry for the next week so the dealer will get it after that.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWHITIS View Post
Yeah Im in the same boat. We are taking our out for the 4th so I don't want to take it in for repairs yet. It is just sitting outside (in the rain) dripping. Soaking it up with a towel. Anyways, good luck with your unit. We love ours, with the exception of this small water leak we haven't had any other serious issues since we took delivery in January.
Does it matter whether the cover/lid/window awning is open or not?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #10

No, does not seem to not make a difference. I just called the dealer and talked to the lead service tech. He told me to check the front window frame for voids in the caulk and reseal. He also said to check the seal where the front cap meets the roof. I doubt its that but ill get up there and check. When I am able to get it to the dealership after our next trip they are going to pull the window and check for water intrusion. Luckily we know the owner very well and I am totally confident they will take care of me.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWHITIS View Post
No, does not seem to not make a difference. I just called the dealer and talked to the lead service tech. He told me to check the front window frame for voids in the caulk and reseal. He also said to check the seal where the front cap meets the roof. I doubt its that but ill get up there and check. When I am able to get it to the dealership after our next trip they are going to pull the window and check for water intrusion. Luckily we know the owner very well and I am totally confident they will take care of me.
i was able to run a bead of caulk around the entire front window today. I got up on the roof and everything looks brand new up there, didnt see any crack in the sealant. Sprayed the front down with a garden hose for 20 minutes no leaks. We also got a really heavy rainstorm this evening and still dry. I guess the water was coming in around the window. Im still going to have the dealer pull that window out and re seal it.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
The dealer should install Butyl tape between the window and side. I had a leak at the window of a previous rig and could not find it. I pulled the window, removed the old tape, installed more, re-installed and then caulked the top and down several inches with Polyurethane caulking to fix it.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #13

Just got it back from dealer...said the outer frame had a very small gap and that caused the leak. We'll see I guess. Go the new tire installed too. Glad that one is replaced, a bulged sidewall is never good!
Old 07-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #14

I have similar problem at the sloped front windo but it is not a leak between the window frame and the siding. I had pulled that and reset in butyl tape and then caulked the outside edge of frame. Where the leak is coming from is between the glass and the frame. I had the glass pulled and reset because I could tell the glass was loose from the aluminum frame. It was set with a clear tape between the glass and the frame. But the water is running down the outside of the glass when it rains and catches at the outside vinyl trim. The water works its way down between the glass and the bottom horizontal section of vinyl trim and then leaks back into the interior between the glass and the aluminum frame. Not much water but enough to wet the pillow and be a nuisance. My trailer is a 2003 Wildwood and that outside vinyl trim that helps lock the glass into the frame is not cracked but is not laying as tight as it probably was originally. I am going to remove it and try to find some new of same shape. Hopefully a better fit will keep the water from working between the glass and seal.
ChrisandSigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #15

Mine leaked again last year so I did this...

And got this....

Old 08-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #16

Just noticed this today, was worse with sun on it. I suppose this is the result from above and no way FR will fix this far out of warranty. Just weird it is looks like delaminating up instead of down. Any suggestions on this one. I am always looking along the trailer for this type of stuff. It's frustrating, I hope it doesn't get worse.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #17

Maybe it trapped water and then froze?