Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #1

Furnace problems

Just returned from a 13-day trip with our model 2607 and the TT performed for the most part just great, but one problem we ran into was a loud, train-like whistle sound that would intermittently come from the furnace. It happened about 3-4 times per night, but the furnace would otherwise work fine. Now that we are home we have tried to recreate this sound so that the dealer can hear it but, of course, it now remains silent. Has anyone had a similar experience. Thanks.
kaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #2

Not sure of what to tell you. I would pull your front grill & check and see if anything maybe lose by the blower & go outside by the fresh are intake & vent make sure both are clear. I had the make up air fan (inducer fan) act up & had to pull the furnace back about 1/4" they had jammed the fan at little.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
Villa Estate 392FLFB

could be from just extended use overnight?
Old 11-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

No age of the unit posted, I wonder if its a bearing.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #5

Some times wind can cause this, while the unit is operating and pulling in air if it is windy and the wind is blowing hitting directly on the same side of the camper where the intake is you can get this sound. The induction fan has a certain cfm that is needed to operate, by forcing additional air like wind to the operating fan you can get this sound.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

That makes sense. The combustion air squirrel cage blower is on a common motor shaft with the output air squirrel cage blower.

If it was very windy the air pushing into the combustion air exhaust port could cause back pressure which could cause binding resulting in variations in motor speed. A worn or damaged bearing might "sing" under those conditions.

Could that be what you were hearing?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #7

If this the cause of the sound you are hearing there is one way to stop it, on homes with 90+ gas fired furnaces both intake and exhaust pipe are ran out side of the homes foundation, on the intake pipe there is a 90 degree elbow attached to the end of the pipe on the out side wall and it is turned down and on the exhaust or discharge pipe it is turned up. This is one reason why it is done on homes to keep air from being forced in. Now this is not done on campers and it is really not needed because it doesn't happen that often and it wouldn't look good, so if you attached a 90 degree elbow in the downward position on the intake ONLY then this would stop that train sound on windy days, but I would leave it as it is.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #8

Thanks for your replies. The TT is a 2010 model and we had used the furnace a few times in the spring without any problem. There was really not much wind at all on this trip though we did (unfortunately) hit the cold front that hit the southeast the first week of November. I did realize that the noise seemed worse when the temps outside hit the 40s/50s so I had actually thought that maybe this had something to do with it. The temps are supposed to drop this week at night so we are going to try to run it again, and will also at that time check out some of your suggestions. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #9

I have a 2010 2901ss and have the same train whistle sound a couple of times a night recently...can't really relate to anything (didn't have wind at all on one night it happened)...let me know what you find out.
giebeje1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #10

i had a home unit that would squeel every so often that turned out to be a loose squirel cage. the set screws were tight and that part didn't move. u could hold the shaft and turn the cage. i've only seen one do that. it's something else to throw out there.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #11

We have the unit scheduled to be taken in to the dealer to check this Thursday, 12/9/11. I will post the results.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #12

Sometimes that the best thing to do. Let us know what it is?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to tlhintoq
What about tilt? When you were out in the wild were you level? Maybe something like a cable harness shifts into the cage or blades when you are leaning to the left for example.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #14

This is why car antennas are now spiral wound, or otherwise not smooth, from whistling in the wind, and auto manufacturers test their creations in wind tunnels for noises and streamlining, too. It's a shame the heater manufacturer doesn't seem to think along those same lines!!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #15

Update to problem:

According to our dealer, the problem with our furnace was that the shaft was never lubricated (presumably at the factory), so the dealer needed to strip down the whole furnace to be able to lubricate the shaft and bearings. So far so good!

By the way, we would like to give kudos to our dealer (Driftwood RV) for getting us in and out within a 2 week period so that we could make our holiday trip! Happy Holidays to all!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

I attached the troubleshooting guide for our furnace.

From what I see these are sealed motors and are not designed to be lubricated. I will have to look at mine (when it warms up!) and see if the shafts go through external bearings and not directly to the Cage fans.

If it turns out to be a permanent fix, I will have added a "new string to my bow." Keep us advised if the noise returns.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf suburbantech.pdf (804.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 03-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1 View Post
According to our dealer, the problem with our furnace was that the shaft was never lubricated (presumably at the factory), so the dealer needed to strip down the whole furnace to be able to lubricate the shaft and bearings. So far so good!

By the way, we would like to give kudos to our dealer (Driftwood RV) for getting us in and out within a 2 week period so that we could make our holiday trip! Happy Holidays to all!
Kaz1

I am looking at buying a used Rockwood 2604 from Driftwood. I am curious about your experience with them has been to date??

Thanks
Old 03-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

I checked on that motor. Maintenance free brearings.

If the maintenance department eliminated the noise by oiling the shaft, it won't last long. They may have done you a favor in the short term by making the noise "go away", but it will be back as the oil drys up and you will be paying for a new motor next time.

It may very well be they needed to order the motor and could not guarrantee it would be ready by your departure time, so they "put a bandaid" on it.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #19
DJW

Unless this unit is still under warr
it sure sounds like it is getting tired
when the fan make a squealing noize means bearings are going
fix it shorty before it quits and you wont have heat
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood