Old 04-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #1

Furrion Cameras

We just purchased a 2018 Rockwood 2104S that came wired for Furrion back up cameras. I have 2 questions. 1st what is the general consensus about the Furrion camera's and 2nd, is there another brand that will work with the way the camper is "wired" or is it strictly set up for Furrion only?

Thanks
Mike

Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #2

I put in the camera on my 2104s sine I now pulling with a 1/2 ton that does not have tow mirrors. It diffidently fills the void. Only my monitor screen went out last month. The good news is, they covered it under warranty with zero hassle. Hopefully the second monitor will be as good as the customer service.

kamp-n-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #3

I'm sure the wiring would work with any brand, but I'm sure that housing probably only fits the furion.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:41 PM   #4

I recently put the Furrion on my 2104S and am very happy with the camera. It literally takes a few minutes to install as it is plug an play. Zero problems it works great and really makes pulling the trailer less stressful being able to see what's behind you at all times. Not sure why you would want anything else unless there is a model with a feature that fits your needs better. Watch the price on Amazon as is changes dramatically by the hour up and down. I paid $298 a 2 months ago and it is currently listed at $367 so it can drop $70 overnight.
Okmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #5

I got a Furrion as a Father's Day gift last year. Easy install, works fine. It's not a game changer for me, I still mostly use my mirrors, but I check it when passing to make sure I've cleared the other vehicle. Still prefer a spotter when backing but did use it once when I had to back out of a blocked lane at a gas station.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #6

Just make sure you get the observation camera and not just the backup camera. I like being able to see people tailgating me.

BTW, after my first trip with it I thought it was useless for all I could see while driving was mostly my spare tire. I was brainstorming ideas of being able to tilt it back then I realized it is adjustable!
Old 04-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the advice. I've read mixed reviews of the Furrion so it's good to hear from real users.
Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamp-n-head View Post
I put in the camera on my 2104s sine I now pulling with a 1/2 ton that does not have tow mirrors. It diffidently fills the void. Only my monitor screen went out last month. The good news is, they covered it under warranty with zero hassle. Hopefully the second monitor will be as good as the customer service.
Foung perfect fitting snap on towing mirrors at etrailer.com. Just entered my tv info and they guarantee the fit.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
Foung perfect fitting snap on towing mirrors at etrailer.com. Just entered my tv info and they guarantee the fit.

Yes, luckily I had a set of perfect fit snap on mirrors on the last trip, kind a worked out perfect. But, it showed me how much I relied on the camera. If I had my old truck 3/4 ram tow mirrors, maybe they would be better than the camera, but with the 1/2 ton, the camera takes it.
kamp-n-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the advice. I've read mixed reviews of the Furrion so it's good to hear from real users.

Check out https://www.tadibrothers.com/
That have an adapter plate for the housing and different camera options.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #11

I'm happy with the Furrion "Observation" camera on my Rockwood. I've been using it for about 3 years. It is helpful in gas stations and when driving in busy traffic. It's great for backing into a campsite or my storage site, too.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #12

We got our 2018 2104S in September. All the dealer had was the back up camera, so I got an observation cameral from Amazon, and installed it myself.

DW and I love it. We've taken several trips, the last one over 2000 miles, and really appreciated having it, especially when we were in a truck stop that we thought had access around the building and went down a dead end. I just took it slow and backed up. We have clamp on towing mirrors, but the blind spot behind is big. A number of times, I've said "I'm glad I spent part of my bonus on that camera."
SmilinBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:11 PM   #13

Door camera

I am planning on buying a forest river 2506S that has the furrion pre-wired. I would like to install a camera over the door and wired into somewhere that would be a hot connection to Use as a security camera from inside the trailer. The only thing I can think of is to wire to the yellow entrance light That would have a on off switch from inside the camper. Any ideas?
Larry Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:30 PM   #14

I bought the Furrion observation camera with the 5" monitor. So far, it works great and was a breeze to install on the Furrion mount that came with my Micro Lite. There are other cameras out there that say they have a plate that will fit the Furrion mount; however what they don't tell you is their antenna won't align with the Furrion mount and your mount setup won't be sealed like it will be if you use the Furrion camera. You'll have to modify the Furrion mount to make it work....at least that was my experience when I bought a Haloview camera and after seeing that it would fit the Furrion mount if I modified it, I sent it back to Amazon.
Overall, I'm very happy with the Furrion camera. My wife co-pilot loves the fact that we can see cars approaching from the rear and I can more easily change lanes by using the camera.
If you are going to get a Furrion camera, be sure it is the observation camera and I would not get a monitor smaller than 5".
Famoussenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #15

With all the various options of Furrion cameras, would somebody be willing to post the part number of the camera kit they purchased? I'm looking at model number FOS05TASF for our 2020 2506S but not sure that's a direct fit.
Kper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #16

I have a Flagstaff 25 bds Micro Lite and I purchased the F0S05TASF model. It was a quick, easy install with the factory installed Furrion mount on the rear of the trailer. Ideally, a 7" monitor would provide the very best view; however, the 5" monitor will work just fine.
I've used the camera/monitor on two camping trips and it was a real pleasure to tow the trailer and view what is behind and to the side of me. The camera lens provides a wide-angle view for observation. I don't have oversized side mirrors on my truck to view upcoming traffic and the Furrion camera makes such mirrors unnecessary.
I think you will be pleased with the FOS05TASF; however, I cannot attest to its long term performance since I've only owned it for less than 2 months.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #17

I assume the furion backup camera can be on at all times for viewing behind you and not backup/reverse only, I checked Amazon and only found model# F0S43TASF so far
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:14 PM   #18

The observation camera will remain on as long as you have your driving lights on.
Don't know why you can't find the 5" Furrion monitor and camera. I bought mine a month ago off Amazon. Did you do a search for model FOSO5TASF?

Walmart has it for a reduced price by mail as part of advanced Black Friday shopping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Furrion-V...SABEgKTIPD_BwE
Old 11-15-2019, 09:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
I assume the furion backup camera can be on at all times for viewing behind you and not backup/reverse only, I checked Amazon and only found model# F0S43TASF so far
I believe that when I was looking into this the manual for the backup camera said not to wire in on constantly. I'd guess that camera will overheat or something. My trailer came with the observation version so I don't have experience with the backup version.

Jim M.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:49 PM   #20

It appears to me that maybe- just maybe-some of you guys are talking apples and oranges here. There is a beast called a back-up camera- it's a camera in your license plate frame, or thereabouts, which allows you to see behind your truck when you put it in reverse. There is a camera that mounts on the back of your RV, which is a REAR OBSERVATION CAMERA. Two totally distinct and different animals- different power sources, etc. etc. The power source for your rear observation camera comes from your umbilical cord that you plug in when you hook up your RV. And no power to your RAC til you turn your lights on in the truck. Then it sends a wireless signal to your monitor in the truck, which is powered by a cigarette lighter connector. And there is several after-market observation camera systems out there, and most have mounting brackets. Furrion was too expensive for us once we started looking at all the others. There's different brands out there that are just as good and quite a bit cheaper.

RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote