Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #1

Furrion Observation Camera use while driving down the road

My unit came prewired for Furrion camera. I added the observation camera and it was easy to install and has good image. I find that I can go to the rear of my unit and reach up and tilt the camera for closer or further distance of the camera image. It works great for backing up in parking lot, camp site etc, but for driving down the highway....I can only tilt it up to cover about ...guessing...4 car lengths. So I can see someone tailgating me at 60 mph, but can't see cars back what should be normal driving separation distance. Do I need to push it further up with more force to get longer view, or is this what I should expect? I am not unhappy with the camera, works great in city driving and parking.....but I was hoping to get better prospective while driving at highway speeds.

Regarding mounting ......the suction cup does not adhere to my dash....I would like to mount to interior rearview mirror, as it is of no use while trailering....as only see front of trailer in the mirror....is there anyway to have temporary mount to the inside rear mirror? I can use tape it there, but is there a better way to have a temporary mount?
joindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #2

I keep ours pointed downward so it doesn’t do much on the road except to let me know when the rear is clear of another vehicle in adjacent lanes. It’s pretty high up so I’m not real interested in moving it for the road then for backing in to a site.
As for the suction cup for the monitor, ours sticks to the windshield very well. Has never fallen.
frostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostriver View Post
I keep ours pointed downward so it doesn’t do much on the road except to let me know when the rear is clear of another vehicle in adjacent lanes. It’s pretty high up so I’m not real interested in moving it for the road then for backing in to a site.
As for the suction cup for the monitor, ours sticks to the windshield very well. Has never fallen.
x2. Don't really care what's way behind me. More interested in knowing if I've cleared a car I've passed, or what's in my blind spot when backing.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #4

I use large rubber bands and attach to the rear view mirror, works great and natural response to look there.
ionasilverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joindy View Post
My unit came prewired for Furrion camera. I added the observation camera and it was easy to install and has good image. I find that I can go to the rear of my unit and reach up and tilt the camera for closer or further distance of the camera image. It works great for backing up in parking lot, camp site etc, but for driving down the highway....I can only tilt it up to cover about ...guessing...4 car lengths. So I can see someone tailgating me at 60 mph, but can't see cars back what should be normal driving separation distance. Do I need to push it further up with more force to get longer view, or is this what I should expect? I am not unhappy with the camera, works great in city driving and parking.....but I was hoping to get better prospective while driving at highway speeds.

Regarding mounting ......the suction cup does not adhere to my dash....I would like to mount to interior rearview mirror, as it is of no use while trailering....as only see front of trailer in the mirror....is there anyway to have temporary mount to the inside rear mirror? I can use tape it there, but is there a better way to have a temporary mount?
I have found the same issues with the camera view and just learned to expect this for the camera. I have tried a few of them all with similar issues. If you find one that resolves this please let us know. I am able to use it in conjunction with my mirrors to figure out if I can reliably change lanes.

As far as attachment I removed the dock and slipped a small 1" suction cup to the slot in the back with a minor mod to the suction cup to fit perfect and stick it to the rear view mirror. You need to be tricky with the antenna but it works. If you lick it...it will stick it. I can still see the TT in part of the rear view as well. I find it much easier to look at the rear view than anywhere else and it helps to keep things steady while driving. I like the rubber band idea as well but I have a dash cam that covers the mirror making it very thick.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #6

I put it downwards so I can see the tip of the spare tire cover and what else it can show behind the TT.
This angle works for us for I can use it to see traffic while changing lanes and also use it to back the TT into the site w/o having to move the camera.
Attached is the view that I get (the real image definition is better for the camera that I took the shot with was having problems focusing on the little screen...)
If you point the camera too straight to incoming traffic, you will have problems with the traffic headlights at night.
As for the inside unit, I use the provided suction cup to hold the little screen to the windshield to the left of the rear view mirror.
This position is good for it doesn't block your view of the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear View Camera.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	168576  

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #7

I find the view just fine. I know when I'm pulling in front of someone that there is 40 feet between us or more.
SmilinBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #8

I use a couple of those bands woman use in their hair. Seem to last longer than rubber bands.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #9
Topspud

Furrion Observation Camera for Sale

Furrion Observation Camera for sale, MH came with one. [IMG] $275.00. mounted once and only used to park TT.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180326_193328_resized.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	168590   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180326_193337.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	168591   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180326_193346_resized.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	168592   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180326_193412_resized.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	168593  
Topspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #10

Furrion Monitor Mount

I use a magnetic Cell Phone mount stuck to the dash. I removed the suction cup thing and taped a magnet to the right angle bracket... Works very well...
thom125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #11

Since the camera doesn't have remote pan features you have to decide if you want the main function to be backing up and parking aid, or if you want to see farther back up the road where you came from. Get someone on a ladder or on top with a handheld radio and decide what view meets your needs in the middle.
I like to have mine on while driving... a quick glance not only lets you see what's behind you, but with the lines displayed you can also see your rigs alignment with the highway lines. We love ours. And the Bluetooth wireless is way better than the wireless 2.4ghz before.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #12

Why not just buy an additional camera mounted so you can see what you want and use a 3 way toggle switch to select the active camera. Cameras are pretty cheap and you will have the best of both worlds
Shrprm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspud View Post
Furrion Observation Camera for sale, MH came with one. [IMG] $275.00. mounted once and only used to park TT.
Please check your inbox.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #14
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

I too like using ours while rolling down the road. I have it tilted up as high as it will go.

I used a mounting bracket from the old TT camera to mount the viewing screen to the ceiling of my truck. The screen hangs in front of the rear view when in use. WHen not towing, the screen flips up out of the way (mostly)
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #15

Works if you use a video switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrprm View Post
Why not just buy an additional camera mounted so you can see what you want and use a 3 way toggle switch to select the active camera. Cameras are pretty cheap and you will have the best of both worlds
Umm, you can't switch video with a SPDT toggle switch. The 6 MHz signal won't get through well, if at all. You can use an electronic switch designed for that frequency.

Here's one that's electrically controlled, so you don't have to re-route the video lines. This one actually supports up to three inputs.

This one supports two devices and comes with a button to switch between cameras.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #16
Topspud

SOLD, thanks to all for the query.
Topspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:22 PM   #17
New TT Owner

We use a dash bean bag to hold our camera monitor. One similar to ours can be found on Amazon or EBay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	420EC4B8-EBBF-495F-971F-D48126E12AAF.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	168636  
Lovestogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspud View Post
Interested. Please email me, Jdrudul@gmail.com
jdpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:18 AM   #19

I have the same camera and am disappointed with it. The main problem is screen size, contrast, and glare. With it on the windshield the outside glare makes it too hard to make out detail. Maybe putting a glare shield around it would help, and I would like a larger screen. Not sure what frequency this camera sends on, but there are larger screens on the market that could do it, but it would have to be paired with the camera frequency.

BTW, you can buy this camera on Ebay for $199 refurbished w/ factory warranty.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:31 AM   #20

Have a preinstalled furrion on my camper that i can find the monitor for what other units will ho in it place that work better and cheaper
kyboatshop is offline   Reply With Quote