Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #1

Gas grill on rockwoods

I have seen some pictures of the gas grill and work table that comes with the Rockwood trailers but I can't tell how it is set up. Where does the grill connect to the trailer? Does it sit on top of the table? Is everyone happy with the grill?

Thanks
tchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #2

The grill mounts to a rail on the side of the RV just as the table. It has a couple of arms that come out to hold the grill a distance from side of the RV. There is a LP hose that pulls out of a cover to provide propane.

With that said, we have used our grill twice since we bought the RV 5 years ago. I no longer keep it in the RV. I would have been happier with some type of two burner cooktop but probably wouldn't use that much either as I prefer the fire pit to cook on.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #3

Thanks. That answers my question. We are planning on using it, but you never know. We also like cooking over an open fire.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:59 PM   #4

i got one and have never used it i dont like cooking under my awning or that close to my camper i use a Weber Q awesome little grill
Old 09-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #5

Yeah, I wondered about cooking under the awning. It doesn't sound like a good idea.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #6

I have the Sidekick gas grille on my Flagstaff, and I use it often. It has plenty of room between the grille and the awning, and if you're skeptical, reach your hand above the grille while it's on, and feel for the heat. I personally didn't feel any real difference, but I haven't checked that on a dead calm day. Also, it is plenty far enough from the camper, as long as you put it on there properly. It can go 2 different ways! Hope this helps calm your fears, at least a little!!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #7

Thanks, that's good to know. I think it would be nice to have for those times when it's raining or you just don't want to haul around charcoal to cook on an open fire.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #8

I like mine and use it all the time!!! I prefer over open fire but when your tired and ready to eat it comes in handy!
mofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #9

I share your concerns, but we've had no problems using it throughout this camping seasons. Well one problem, the table pulled the strip off the wall, but that was an easy fix. It works OK for the two of us, but I'm thinking of an alternative grill. I have a portable weber in the garage - but it is not as compact as the RVQ
Fort Kent Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
JanLindbert

We have the grill and like one other post, would rather have two burner eye rather than the grill...it works ok but I take my grilling more serious that the side kick grill...like the hose connection located right below it....On a one to ten scale, I'd have to give it about a 4...
JLindbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #11

Just a note, looking at the RVQ Isee that there is a new modeo, RVQII which looks much improved. Has a sparking igniter and is larger. check it out here http://www.rvqgrill.com/ It also has an adapter available for direct hookup to propane tank so you can use it detached from the TT.

I have the old one but sure like the specs on the newer II

Jim & Eileen
Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, 5.3 ltr, prodigy controller.
2009 Rockwood 2604.

Running mates Max & Kate Chihuahua's

Hobie Kayaks on Thule rack on truck

Retired Army EOD
jdeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #12

Ours is still in the box in the attic because it is too bulky to pack anywhere in the trailer, plus it would probably cause grease stains if you packed it inside. It doesn't fit in the trailer's storage bins, either. I keep a very slim 25-year old Coleman propane stove in the storage bin if I want to cook outside on the picnic table (we keep it for primitive camping trips). Maybe if I had a pickup truck (with a locking bed cover/cap) I'd try out the propane grill; otherwise, it stays in the attic next to those bar stools that came with the trailer.
Major Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:04 AM   #13
Computer Guy

That gas grill sucks. I need some mods to prevent flare ups. I cary my full size weber charcoal grill in the back of my truck.

2019 Coachman Chaparral Lite 295BH

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 5.9 Diesel
Jimmy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #14

We had one on our '07 2601SS and it worked OK for us, but it is far from the best bbq we have had. Even used it under the awning with no ill effects. Having said that however, with our new 8315BSS we decided NOT to order it with the RVQ. The RVQ was a pain in the butt to clean and took up a lot of storage space, plus it was only designed for use while mounted on the trailer rail - would be much better if could be used sitting on a table as well. We have purchased a small table-top Weber for use with the new trailer.
...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #15

We have the new RVQ2 and it is head and shoulders above the RVQ. It is larger and has teflon grill surface. It is great and easy to clean (which was our major concern slong with the size.

Jim & Eileen
Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, 5.3 ltr, prodigy controller.
2009 Rockwood 2604.

Running mates Max & Kate Chihuahua's

Hobie Kayaks on Thule rack on truck

Retired Army EOD
jdeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #16

I just bought an 8318SS. It has the rail and gas line--but as a repo, the grill was missing. Does anyone have a grill for sale that they are not using? Or. where is a good place to pick one up that works well? What should I be looking for?
RayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #17

THESE ARE OLD POSTS! CHECK the dates on the upper right corner please!!!
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:00 AM   #18

I have an rvq that i have never used may be willing to sell it depending where you are and what it cost to ship it send me a PM and we discuss it if interested
Old 02-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #19

We have one on our 2008 rockwood and use it frequently. I made a pull out shelf inside of the storage compartment which is located nearby. I don't find that it gets too hot...under the extended awning. It's very handy when it's raining.
RV4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #20
Computer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayH View Post
I just bought an 8318SS. It has the rail and gas line--but as a repo, the grill was missing. Does anyone have a grill for sale that they are not using? Or. where is a good place to pick one up that works well? What should I be looking for?
Hey I might want to sell my gas grill, i used it a few times and it just takes up space. I guess it is ok if you don't want to tote a big grill around. But i throw my weber in the back of my truck. Let me ask my wife what she thinks.

2019 Coachman Chaparral Lite 295BH

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 5.9 Diesel
Jimmy-D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood