Good job Al

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
Grumpy Old Member

I agree with the battery suggestions your getting. Too many people never realize that their batteries aren't up to par because they pay little attention to them. I leave my little group 24 always connected and let the converter do it's thing.

And as pointed out above, always go to your stove first when trying to diagnose a possible gas problem.

With regards to your propane tanks, I always leave the one I'm not using with it's valve closed and the tank selector pointed at the tank in use. I was told that with the selector pointed up, I was drawing off both tanks and that left me uncomfortable with the chance of being caught totally out of propane.

Best of luck.

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2010 Dodge RAM 1500
Reese Dual Cam WDH
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZazzara View Post
IWith regards to your propane tanks, I always leave the one I'm not using with it's valve closed and the tank selector pointed at the tank in use. I was told that with the selector pointed up, I was drawing off both tanks and that left me uncomfortable with the chance of being caught totally out of propane.
Best of luck.
Times two. Opposite tank off unless I am dry camping. When dry camping I leave both on and check for a red indicator on my nightly walk around. If I find it I switch it over and remove the dead bottle for filling immediately (if possible). I sometimes carry a 20 pound bottle for the Lil Red Campfire and have dropped it in place of the 30 pound when we needed "longevity" before heading to the fill spot.

I have heard the "lever up" statement before, but my research shows that it is not a recommended technique.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Marshal Auto Changover Regulators Pamplet.PDF (4.79 MB, 23 views)
File Type: docx propane_safety_and_use.docx (50.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: docx Purging propane containers.docx (15.7 KB, 25 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #14

Appreciate all the advice and the attachments. Love having this forum available to get the experience and knowledge of others.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZazzara View Post
I agree with the battery suggestions your getting. Too many people never realize that their batteries aren't up to par because they pay little attention to them. I leave my little group 24 always connected and let the converter do it's thing.

And as pointed out above, always go to your stove first when trying to diagnose a possible gas problem.

With regards to your propane tanks, I always leave the one I'm not using with it's valve closed and the tank selector pointed at the tank in use. I was told that with the selector pointed up, I was drawing off both tanks and that left me uncomfortable with the chance of being caught totally out of propane.

Best of luck.
Whether to opt to open both tank valves is a matter of personal choice. However, if your only open one then you defeat the purpose of the auto-changeover regulator.

If you have an auto-changeover regulator, as most modern trailers do, the "tank selector" does not actually "select" one tank or the other. It's sole purpose is to simply point to the one in current use. And yes, regardless of the position of the "tank selector", left, right or straight up, you can eventually totally run out of propane. But, you are not drawing off of both tanks simultaneously, but rather sequentually as the auto-changeover regulator draws from one tank and then the other as the first one empties. That is why the regulators have a colored indicator to tell you when they have switched tanks. Curiously, an many instances, the operation of the auto-changeover regulators is not adequately explained during your purchase walk-thru .

Page 4 on Herk's Marshall regulator document reference explains this procedure. Other manufacturers regulators work the same but differ in appearance.

...VTX-AL