Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #21

i've had a Honda 3000 for about 10 years now and love it. Just recently started to use for boondocking. I keep it in the bed of my truck where my power cord can reach it. However, it is getting to be too heavy. If I did it again, I might buy the twin 2000's. Yesterday I added the remote starter to the generator and it works great.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Julie View Post

They won't run 2, should run one though.
And no microwave if the a/c is running!
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying dutchman View Post

And no microwave if the a/c is running!
I've run the micrwave with the a/c on the generator without any problems.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #24
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3spots View Post
Now i'm wondering if my 2 Hondas, running parallel, will power my 50 amp Salem Hemisphere 346 QBUD. It's got 2 ACs. Be happy if the one 15000BTU would run. Any input on this?
The max circuit breaker with two 2000i's is one 30 amp plug. That's all you'll get to the camper. You do have more capacity if you plug into one of the 10 amp plugs directly on the generator but a max total of 40 amps and 32 amps running. Check the rating and you probably can run one A/C on the 30amp circuit.

You would need two 3000's for 50 amps and now you're talking $4000 for two 130# units.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #25

I'll stick to my 2 little honda generators. Long as I can run the Keurig for morning tea. I'm good. Was curious. Will have to give it a go when the new camper comes in. It's taking forever to get here. Lol
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #26

i have a Hyundai 2000i. It ran great for a year then one hot day it ran my A/C for an hour or so and quit charging. Since then I have had to run to eight different service depots within 80 mile radius to find one that would service the unit. I know I am to blame for burning the unit output board but to not be able to get service really sucks!! Stick to a local dealer you can count on that will service it ASAP and not go through what I did....by the way, its been going on nine weeks now and its still at a shop 75 miles away
bobquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:14 AM   #27

I had a Coleman 5000, which I gave to my brother up in N.Y., because they loose power at least two to three times a year where they are on Long Island. I wish I had kept it...I'm too darn nice. Anyway, I'll be in the market for another genny sometime early next year. My question, regarding the noise on the larger gennys, isn't there some kind of aftermarket muffler that can replace the factory muffler? One that will quiet the thing down by at least 50-60%?
AGENT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGENT86 View Post
. My question, regarding the noise on the larger gennys, isn't there some kind of aftermarket muffler that can replace the factory muffler? One that will quiet the thing down by at least 50-60%?
nope, because they already have a quiet muffler and it's the engine noise that is so loud on cheap open-framed generators.
that's why generators like the Honda 2000 cost so much. it's more expensive to quiet the engine noise down.
only by building a noise box with fans, can you cut down the noise that comes out of these types of generators.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
nope, because they already have a quiet muffler and it's the engine noise that is so loud on cheap open-framed generators.
that's why generators like the Honda 2000 cost so much. it's more expensive to quiet the engine noise down.
only by building a noise box with fans, can you cut down the noise that comes out of these types of generators.
Well, that's rather disappointing. I really like the larger, open frame generators. When you state "engine noise", what exactly are you referring? The muffler is to dampen/quiet the noise that is created as a direct result of the combustion process. Now, remove any & all combustion noise, and what you have left are actual mechanical noises, ie., valves, springs, pistons, rods, etc., as they do their thing. If that's the noise which you refer, I can't imagine that noise would be so loud as to disturb the general tranquility of the average campground/secluded site....or am I mistaken?

I really think the combustion noise can be reduced a lot more, although it may require a custom fabricated muffler that actually incorporates a larger, heavier-duty style muffler, perhaps originally intended for a small automobile, or similar. It could be done, and shouldn't be that expensive, and any cost would be outweighed by the final result...a super-quiet open frame genny.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying that if they already use the quiet mufflers as you said, and I don't doubt you, that with a little creative thinking & mechanical aptitude, a lot more can be done to quiet the beasties down.
AGENT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #30

For years, people have been attempting to quiet those things with (so far) very little success. The only thing that seems to work at all is to enclose them in some sort of box. However, that introduces ventilation issues that need to be addressed.

You are much better off buying one that is reasonably quiet to begin with. You can find a Honda knockoff such as Champion, Kipor, Boily etc. for around $500.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #31
Site Team

Agent86, i suggest you visit some of the Tech/Repair forums on other RV forums, especially RV.net's Tech Issues forum.
i've been reading questions/solutions like yours, for over 8 years, about quieting down generators like the Champion 3500.
there's a thread there, on Chinese generators, that is over 500 pages long with hundreds of posts about what you're asking.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote