Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2015, 03:19 AM   #21

For me the champion 4000 has worked out fine.....it will run everything in the unit....
But so far batteries have taken care of my one or two night boon docking....so have mainly used the gen for running chain saw to get firewood....or micro at rest area for cooking....it has always started....sometimes takes 3-5 pulls, but that is me not priming just right....if run everyday starts on first or second pull....good luck....just can t justify Hondas no more than I use.....when this one on sale with coupon runs about 275....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:18 AM   #22
Site Team

There's no arguing that the Champion 3500/4000 is a perfect choice for boondocking.
but it's NOT a appropriate choice for a developed campground.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:46 AM   #23

Generators & Wal Mart Camping

Here is a question I have not seen addressed...or maybe I missed it.

The one thing MH's have over the lot of us is their built in genny & inverter/battery bay.

This allows the MH owner to stop at, say, a Wally World and camp for the night in 100Ί heat in Air Conditioned comfort.

So the question is, could someone relying on a Yamaha generator for A/C stop at a Wally World, pull out their genny and fire it up for the night?

Security of the genny could be a problem, but I would think a cable lock would discourage the casual thief.

Thoughts and comments appreciated!!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #24
Always Learning

Bob, that's almost the exact scenario of why I want a generator for my 5th wheel... Wallydocking!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Here is a question I have not seen addressed...or maybe I missed it.

The one thing MH's have over the lot of us is their built in genny & inverter/battery bay.

This allows the MH owner to stop at, say, a Wally World and camp for the night in 100Ί heat in Air Conditioned comfort.

So the question is, could someone relying on a Yamaha generator for A/C stop at a Wally World, pull out their genny and fire it up for the night?

Security of the genny could be a problem, but I would think a cable lock would discourage the casual thief.

Thoughts and comments appreciated!!
Very good point Bob. I think there are multiple responses. 1)We all know that if you are willing to spend enough, you can buy a FW either plumbed for or equipped with a gen. I know that my eu3000is Honda fit easily for transport in the front of our Sandpiper. But, because of it's weight, it was a bear to get in there. But my 2Ks are easily put in there. Can't say I've ever see a TT with factory gen setup. (I also think that it would be pretty easy for some of us do it yourselfers to "safely" install these 2 or 3K gens in the front of our FWs...it's not rocket science. There are some examples on YouTube.) 2)Depending where you carry or mount them, you could use them in the parking lot "securely". (Secured in the bed of the TV or mounted to a carrier on the back of the FW/TT.) 3)I personally would think twice for sure about setting it out beside the RV in the parking lot without securing it to the TV, FW, or TT with a logging chain and having my wife sit outside with our Ruger SR40 in her lap while I slept...ah...I don't think that would work out to well for me. haha Just comments for the discussion. And there are lots of neat creative gen ideas on YouTube for sure.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #26

Here's what I'm considering, locking plates mounted to the rear bumper. Yes, yes, the rear bumper is tin and disaster will surely ensue with this plan, but I'm sure that the bumper can hold 100 pounds sitting on it for an overnight stop. I wouldn't tow with them locked down back there, I don't see a real reason to.

But locked to the bumper greatly reduces the theft issue, I'll come up with a way to secure the power cable best I can.

LowPro LockDown security mount system for Honda EU2000i generator

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Here's what I'm considering, locking plates mounted to the rear bumper. Yes, yes, the rear bumper is tin and disaster will surely ensue with this plan, but I'm sure that the bumper can hold 100 pounds sitting on it for an overnight stop. I wouldn't tow with them locked down back there, I don't see a real reason to.

But locked to the bumper greatly reduces the theft issue, I'll come up with a way to secure the power cable best I can.

LowPro LockDown security mount system for Honda EU2000i generator

I wouldn't hesitate to mount one or two Honda gens on the bumper even during travel.
If there sitting directly on the bumper I would do that in a heartbeat!

It's the bike racks with bikes that sit 4-5 foot above bumper and are cantilevered back that will cause havoc
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to mount one or two Honda gens on the bumper even during travel.
If there sitting directly on the bumper I would do that in a heartbeat!

It's the bike racks with bikes that sit 4-5 foot above bumper and are cantilevered back that will cause havoc
I've found on this forum when it comes to doing anything with the rear bumper one must tread lightly when revealing ones plans.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I've found on this forum when it comes to doing anything with the rear bumper one must tread lightly when revealing ones plans.
Lol I'd most likely be @ the forefront of that conversation!
I honestly do not see a problem doing what you want for non travel but I don't see any reason one or even two Hondas "solidly" mounted would affect anything.
IMO of course.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Turbs, your so smart...

Hope all is well at your house and THE BIG GUY is happy and continues to be healthy
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Turbs, your so smart...

Hope all is well at your house and THE BIG GUY is happy and continues to be healthy
All is good! Thanks for asking!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Turbs, 10/4...
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #33

Quote:
I honestly do not see a problem doing what you want for non travel but I don't see any reason one or even two Hondas "solidly" mounted would affect anything.
IMO of course.
Shhhhhh....don't tell anyone, but I mounted something on the back and here's what I came up with after consulting about my idea with Turbs last year. Those locks are pretty neat...but whew pricey. I use the biggest bike cable and pad lock that I could find. I don't do Wallyworld camping that much anyway. Check out my solution. It was not 100% finished when I took this pic. I've made 2 trips so far and it works great. I've even mounted two bike fork holders and can pull off the gennies and haul bikes instead. I designed it with 2 key objectives 1) as close as possible to the back wall so all the weight is on the frame rails with no cantilever action and 2) everything is tied down with absolutely no movement. Forest River Forums - kerrlakelover's Album: Mods to 2010 Sandpiper 345RET - Picture
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
Old 01-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
Shhhhhh....don't tell anyone, but I mounted something on the back and here's what I came up with after consulting about my idea with Turbs last year. Those locks are pretty neat...but whew pricey. I use the biggest bike cable and pad lock that I could find. I don't do Wallyworld camping that much anyway. Check out my solution. It was not 100% finished when I took this pic. I've made 2 trips so far and it works great. I've even mounted two bike fork holders and can pull off the gennies and haul bikes instead. I designed it with 2 key objectives 1) as close as possible to the back wall so all the weight is on the frame rails with no cantilever action and 2) everything is tied down with absolutely no movement. Forest River Forums - kerrlakelover's Album: Mods to 2010 Sandpiper 345RET - Picture
Your idea and since design passed my inspection! Lol
Old 01-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
They are quite pricey, chances are I'll get the metal brake out and make my own.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

One of my friends fashioned a vented metal lock box for his on the rear of his trailer. If you have a rear bike rack this would be easy to do.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #37

Small hijack then back to generators...

Quote:
IMO of course.
While on the subject of "Bike Disasters"

I wonder if there is a way to mount a sturdy Bike rack on the back of a 5er (I know wildcat has one as a option...so there has to be a way LOL)

I don't want "just a bike rack" however. We will never have a toyhauler, so having a golf cart at a big rally like Goshen is not in the cards for us.

However...

When we lived in Germany, electric assisted bikes were *very* popular. The batteries and transmission add @ 25-ish pounds to the bike so let's say combined weight of both bikes is 75LBS for arguments sake.

Doable with a frame weld?

Now back to Genny issues...anyone thought of modding their front basement to hold a generator? My concern would be noise - it is right under the bed after all LOL (or this is a good reason to get a front LR setup )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Your idea and since design passed my inspection! Lol
Hey Turbs, anyone who creates a boat hauler on the back/on top of a Hummer, I trust their opinion on just about anything metal. HAHAHA...stay warm out there buddy.
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
Old 01-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #39

Quote:
They are quite pricey, chances are I'll get the metal brake out and make my own.
Totally agree on the pricey. Too pricey for me. I'll just keep the heavy duty security cable, park in well lit secure areas, and "let" my wife sleep on the ground under the rear of the FW right next to them.
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour

Tags
5th wheel, generator, wheel