Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #1

Generator for 8523TT - how to?

I hope I don't sound stupid but I know nothing about using a generator with my 2013 Rockwood 8523 TT. I want to get the Honda 2000.
Do I just plug my RV power cord into the generator or do I need something to convert the plug? How does it recharge my house batteries? Do I need an inverter or is that part of the generator? I will run my frig and hot water htr on propane...ok? I won't need the a/c....just simple short-term boondocking. I really appreciate your help.
GVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #2

Hi,

I have been running Honda 2000 generator support for my fifth wheel ever since they came out years ago. While I now have two that I can parallel, most of the time I just have one along.

Unless the newer ones have changed, on a standard 2000i, you will be plugging a 30 amp RV plug into a 15 amp socket, so a simple adapter will be needed. It will recharge your house battery through the converter in the trailer -- the same as if you were plugged into shore power. The frig and water heater will run off the genny if you want. Some monitoring of your electric coffee pot, heater/fireplace, hair dryer, etc. kind of appliances will be necessary. If you're using too many of them at the same time, the Honda will trip out.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVJeeper View Post
I hope I don't sound stupid but I know nothing about using a generator with my 2013 Rockwood 8523 TT. I want to get the Honda 2000.
Do I just plug my RV power cord into the generator or do I need something to convert the plug? How does it recharge my house batteries? Do I need an inverter or is that part of the generator? I will run my frig and hot water htr on propane...ok? I won't need the a/c....just simple short-term boondocking. I really appreciate your help.
If you buy a Honda 2000i, get the companion one as it has a 30 amp plug on it. Just plug in and your good to go. I have both also, and only need the second one for the ac. IT is an inverter, but your converter will handle the battery charging, generator just supplies the power.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:03 PM   #4

Hi,

Bob is right, the Companion is a direct plug-in for the RV plug. But the Companion is a bit more expensive, in comparison to the cost of an adapter. Lots of folks get the regular one first, and if they later decide to run their air conditioner they add the Companion and parallel kit.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #5

It sounds like the companion is the same except it has a plug for the 30 amp power cord. Then I can buy the other one when I want to expand. Something to think about..thanks!!

OOPS you beat me to the post, lol.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
Left Coast

Quote:
It sounds like the companion is the same except it has a plug for the 30 amp power cord. Then I can buy the other one when I want to expand. Something to think about..thanks!!

OOPS you beat me to the post, lol.
I bought both of mine 2 years ago, from Tweeties, for around 950 each or less, at the same time and price then was the same for either one. I just spent some time shopping around.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #7

Just found it at Electric Generator Depot for $899!!!
Old 04-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #8
Left Coast

Quote:
Just found it at Electric Generator Depot for $899!!!
Free shipping? Price difference could be time of year.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #9

Yes, free shipping!!
Old 04-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #10
Left Coast

Quote:
Yes, free shipping!!
Step up!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #11

I noticed that Electric Generator Depot has "scratch & dent" EU2000is for $829.99 which are new, repacked in new box with full warranty and manuals. Interesting!
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #12

Here is the actual description from the Electric Generator Depot for scratch & dent EU2000i: SCRATCH AND DENT ITEM
Our scratch and dent items are products with minor cosmetic issues. They are brand new, not refurbished, and carry a full manufacturer's warranty. Each unit has been reboxed and includes everything you would receive normally such as accessories and documentation
Old 04-21-2015, 09:33 PM   #13
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpi26 View Post
Here is the actual description from the Electric Generator Depot for scratch & dent EU2000i: SCRATCH AND DENT ITEM
Our scratch and dent items are products with minor cosmetic issues. They are brand new, not refurbished, and carry a full manufacturer's warranty. Each unit has been reboxed and includes everything you would receive normally such as accessories and documentation
Beings how their plastic like cases, or a composite, be no problem. The front panel could be a problem if it's dented badly..... might just not be for the picky ..... WE ALL LOOK ABUSED after a while!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #14

I'm wondering if this is a way for them to sell overstocked inventory in order to beat the Honda fair trade pricing restrictions for dealers.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #15
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpi26 View Post
I'm wondering if this is a way for them to sell overstocked inventory in order to beat the Honda fair trade pricing restrictions for dealers.
Be nice to know how much mark up there is, per dealer, as everyone seems to work on a different profit margin.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #16

But not "no sales tax" so I went with a more reputable supplier. It's here now but I'm wondering about additives (gas and oil). What do you all think?

2013 Rockwood 8325SS - 35 feet
2007 GMC 2500HD Diesel
Buster & FlipperDoodle (cats & copilots)
Full-timer since 2012

Tags
generator