Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #1

generator mounting on 5th wheel

I own a 2008 Rockwood 5th wheel, 8280ss super ultra-lite. I just got a Honda 3000is generator that weighs about 220 pounds wet. Welded on my back bumper is a class 3 receiver that appears to have been factory installed. It is not centered, it is mounted on the door side about 1/3 of the way across the bumper and is not wired for lights. Is this a factory installation? My guess is it is for a cargo carrier or bike rack or something on that order.

I mounted a cargo carrier from Harbor Freight that is rated for 500 pounds. I am going to weld additional straps to the bumper for added strength. Any other suggestions?

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Definitely not factory, on an ultralight frame.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If not someone did an excellent job in making it appear so. lt look factory, proper gussets and the bumper does not appear to have been repainted.

Is there any way I could check with the factory? Not that I do not believe you, what you say makes sense, but someone did a heck of a good job making it look factory!

Jim
Old 05-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I just got off the phone with a service representative from Forest River. He told me that Forest River does not install rear hitches on any of their travel trailers. Apparently there was a sticker on the rear bumper at one time saying they do not recommend it. This is for two reasons, they have no control over what somebody would put on the hitch and two, if they put anything too heavy on it they could cause frame damage. I asked him if he thought a 220 to 240 pound generator would cause a problem and he couldn't answer that question. He said as long as it was rigid it probably wouldn't but they have no control over how it would be mounted or supported. He did say the rear bumper is welded to the frame so the bumper would be sturdy.

Now I've got a problem. I can support the carrier for the generator by welding brackets to the rear bumper which would keep it from bouncing around. That seemed to be his main concern. You don't want anything bouncing around in the in the back causing vibration thru the frame. I just reconfigured the weight and it will be between 210 and 220 pounds counting the carrier, the gas, and the chains to lock it down with.

I'm open to any thoughts and would appreciate them. The service rep did suggest putting the generator up front but it would mean adding a way to fill the gas tank and an outside exhaust would have to be added. I'm not real comfortable with that idea.

Jim
Old 05-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #5

Put it in the bed of your pickup! Thats what I have done for years. SIL made me a bracket that bolted to my truck bed with a steel strap that went over the generator. Secured by two bolts and two locks. Plus with my folding and lockable tonneau cover, three locks and out of site, out of mind, it never went anywhere without me.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Put it in your truck bed.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "6 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Put it in the bed of your pickup! Thats what I have done for years. SIL made me a bracket that bolted to my truck bed with a steel strap that went over the generator. Secured by two bolts and two locks. Plus with my folding and lockable tonneau cover, three locks and out of site, out of mind, it never went anywhere without me.
Thank you! I'm being real stupid here because I never gave that a thought. [I have class III on the back of my truck that I could put the cargo carrier in with no problems. I wanted to be able to leave it running when I went out so I can have the air on for my dog but I'm sure I can figure out a way I can do that.

Jim
Old 05-19-2015, 10:02 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have my Powerhouse 4000 watt EFI generator in the bed of my truck. Fits behind the hitch on the passenger side. I can drop the tailgate and hook up in a minute for power.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #9

No way would I put a gen. on a rear bumper!
1. at some time you will back into something...
2. at some point in time someone will hit the rear of your tlr.
3. it's out in the open and more noisy and open to the elements.
4. possible theft
5. etc....
tyke8319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I own a 2008 Rockwood 5th wheel, 8280ss super ultra-lite. I just got a Honda 3000is generator that weighs about 220 pounds wet. Welded on my back bumper is a class 3 receiver that appears to have been factory installed. It is not centered, it is mounted on the door side about 1/3 of the way across the bumper and is not wired for lights. Is this a factory installation? My guess is it is for a cargo carrier or bike rack or something on that order.

I mounted a cargo carrier from Harbor Freight that is rated for 500 pounds. I am going to weld additional straps to the bumper for added strength. Any other suggestions?

Jim
Hey Jim,

We also have a fiver, a 2011 Rockwood 8265WS.

Further we also have a Honda 3000is Generator for the house as a back up (we live on a small island). I was thinking of using the Honda 3000 for the trailer but felt it was to heavy.

My goal was to have something that did not require moving the generator, easy access so my wife could start it up without having to move it.

We opted for a EF Yamaha 2400 iSHC, it is light about 70 lbs.

We had the bumper extended and I had a generator box custom built to fit the Yamaha 2400. See the above links for pictures.

This setup works well for us and it seems to be standing up well. Last year we did a trip up to Yukon and Alaska and clocked around 12,000 Km or 7,200 miles.

Good luck,
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #11

Any generator that is out in the open will be stolen !
cj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Hey Jim,

We also have a fiver, a 2011 Rockwood 8265WS.

Further we also have a Honda 3000is Generator for the house as a back up (we live on a small island). I was thinking of using the Honda 3000 for the trailer but felt it was to heavy.

My goal was to have something that did not require moving the generator, easy access so my wife could start it up without having to move it.

We opted for a EF Yamaha 2400 iSHC, it is light about 70 lbs.

We had the bumper extended and I had a generator box custom built to fit the Yamaha 2400. See the above links for pictures.

This setup works well for us and it seems to be standing up well. Last year we did a trip up to Yukon and Alaska and clocked around 12,000 Km or 7,200 miles.

Good luck,
It looks like they did a nice job for you. I'm glad to hear you had no problems with it. I am assuming the second bumper is rigid so it doesn't vibrate or bounce. The Honda 3000is generator weighs about twice what yours does but that's not a lot of added weight. When I had been done with the carrier I was adding it would've been rigid also. My concern developed after I spoke with the service technician from forest River. He was concerned that the frame would not hold up with the added weight extending past the bumper. I really don't know if it would matter much but I really didn't want to take a chance either. The added weight would have been less than 220 pounds which is probably less than what you have added with the bumper and the plate, not counting the box.

I've got plenty of room in the back of my truck between the hitch and the tailgate. I have mounted the generator on a furniture moving platform with wheels. I also have a set of aluminum ramps that I can roll it up and put it in the back of the truck easily. If I get someplace that has no electric it won't be a problem to roll the generator down the ramps and chain it to the front levelers. That way I can leave it on site when I go out, and leave it running so I can keep the AC on for the dog. Granted, it's not as easy as leaving it permanently mounted to the trailer but I don't have to worry about the frame. Since no one was able to give me a definite answer I really didn't want to take the chance. I've got too much money invested in the 5th wheel to gamble.

Who knows, I may change my mind. But for right now this will work and I don't have to take the generator everywhere I go.

I really appreciate what you have done though, it looks like a very nice installation. I do have one question though. Did they do anything to reinforce the frame? I looked underneath mine and without tearing part of the decorative underneath apart I can't tell how well the original bumper is fastened to the frame. I'm assuming it's just welded on both ends. Do you know?

Jim
Old 05-20-2015, 10:41 PM   #13

I am about ready to blow my brains out. The only thing that stopped me so far as I can't afford to lose the few brain cells I still I have.

I had decided to put the generator in the bed of the truck. Well, I now know that won't work either. The generator is too tall and it won't clear the underside of the trailer when it's on the hitch. Okay, this is starting to get ridiculous. I decided I'd use the cargo carrier on the rear hitch of my truck. Ran into a problem they are to. It would stick out too far and would hit the trailer on a tight turn. I guess what it means is that no matter what I try to do I got a problem. I just can't seem to win.

Climbed underneath the back of the trailer today and looked at the bumper and it is definitely well that solid to the frame which is an I'd be that runs the length of the trailer. I think I'm going to go back to my original idea put the cargo carrier on the back and welded solid so it can't vibrate or move around. As long as I keep it solid I don't see where it can cause any harm.

Anders, I really like your set up. The only thing I would question is that it is adding more weight than what I would be adding. If I'm going to put it out in the back of the trailer I've got two options that I can see. One is to use the cargo carrier in the class 3 hitch and weld cross members to it to support it so it can't move. The second would be to do as you did but I wouldn't put a full-length bumper on. I would only make the second bumper as long as necessary to add the plate and mount the generator. Since my generator is about 70 pounds heavier than yours by making a short bumper to support a plate instead of the full-length it should make up the weight difference. I am going to try and keep it as light as possible but still maaintain the strength needed.

I've got to do some thinking. Problem is when I think I get a headache!

I will let you know what I decide and take photos of it. I will then keep everybody up to date as to how well it works.

Jim
Old 05-20-2015, 11:34 PM   #14

Could you tow it to a welding shop/fabricator to see what they think about the hitch and if it will support the generator? Get a qualified opinion.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj06 View Post
Any generator that is out in the open will be stolen !
If I catch them they will be shot! Either that or my 70 pound lab will have an early dinner, LOL

Jim
Old 05-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Could you tow it to a welding shop/fabricator to see what they think about the hitch and if it will support the generator? Get a qualified opinion.
For sure ! I haven't done any welding, gas or arc, in about 10 years. Still have my tanks and torches but wouldn't trust myself for this. Last thing I welded was a black iron railing to make a trellis for rose bushes. If it was a bad weld it was no big deal.

I really don't see a problem. Took a good look underneath, The frame is an "I" beam with the square tubing welded across the two ends. This gives you added strength across the width of the trailer. As long as the platform to mount the generator is welded solid and doesn't vibrate there should be no problem.

I did notice one thing. The spare tire carrier which is mounted to the rear bumper is not ridged. It bounces all over the place! It is designed so you can drop the tire on the ground to remove it. Its fastened to the bumper with "U" clamps and I know that was factory mounted. If anything was going to crack a weld on that bumper that would do it. I looked at the welds and there is no sign of cracking.

Jim
Old 06-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #17

It has taken a while but my welder / fabricator finially managed to get here to mount the plate for my generator. He feels the square tube bumper is secure enough to support the generator as long as there is no bouncing. Got to paint it but took a quick photo to show.

I have been told I could expect up to 20 hours run time on a full tank. I would guess 8 to 10 hours with the air conditioner running? I thought that the trailer plug would go right into the 30 amp receptacle on the generator but I was wrong, it won't go! Going to have to find or make an adapter to use that plug. I have the adapter from the trailer 30 amp to 120 volt so am using it for now. The gen receptacles are 20 amp like the 20 amp GFI receptacle I use from the house and it seems to work fine.

I ran the fridge, tv, ceiling fan, 60 watt table lamp and the AC with the eco switch on and had no problems. When the AC compressor kicked on there was about a 1/2 second surge where the light dimmed but then the generator came up to speed and everything was fine. TV shut off but I expected that, happens with any "blink" in power. When AC shut off the idle went down to low as it was suppose to. If I shut the eco switch of there was no power surge at all but I am sure I will get better run time using it on.

Any and all comments welcome. Oh, one more thing. You can't run a Kureg coffee pot when running the AC. It tripped the breaker on the generator. I can when pluged into the house but not the generator. No big deal, just got to remember that.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4H8A5612-2.jpg
Views:	1700
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	79472  
Old 06-09-2015, 05:45 AM   #18

This might work
Conntek RL14825 RV Generator Adapter 1.5-Feet for Model L5-30P 30-Amp 125-volt Locking Plug to RV 30-Amp Female Connector
Old 06-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #19

That is what I need. I have a couple of local places I want to check but now I know it is available, thank you very much!

I don't know how much difference using that outlet will make. It is only 3.3 amps more than the one I am using which is a 20 amp 120 volt receptacle but I won't know till I try it.

Jim
Old 06-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #20

Old tool, be careful with the kureg and the gen on Eco. Ours didn't draw enough power to go to high and the gen started to surge. The coffee maker is now a paper weight

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, generator, mount, wheel