Old 05-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #1

generator mounting on 5th wheel

I own a 2008 Rockwood 5th wheel, 8280ss super ultra-lite. I just got a Honda 3000is generator that weighs about 220 pounds wet. Welded on my back bumper is a class 3 receiver that appears to have been factory installed. It is not centered, it is mounted on the door side about 1/3 of the way across the bumper and is not wired for lights. Is this a factory installation? My guess is it is for a cargo carrier or bike rack or something on that order.

I mounted a cargo carrier from Harbor Freight that is rated for 500 pounds. I am going to weld additional straps to the bumper for added strength. Any other suggestions?

Jim

Old 05-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

Definitely not factory, on an ultralight frame.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If not someone did an excellent job in making it appear so. lt look factory, proper gussets and the bumper does not appear to have been repainted.

Is there any way I could check with the factory? Not that I do not believe you, what you say makes sense, but someone did a heck of a good job making it look factory!

Jim
Old 05-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I just got off the phone with a service representative from Forest River. He told me that Forest River does not install rear hitches on any of their travel trailers. Apparently there was a sticker on the rear bumper at one time saying they do not recommend it. This is for two reasons, they have no control over what somebody would put on the hitch and two, if they put anything too heavy on it they could cause frame damage. I asked him if he thought a 220 to 240 pound generator would cause a problem and he couldn't answer that question. He said as long as it was rigid it probably wouldn't but they have no control over how it would be mounted or supported. He did say the rear bumper is welded to the frame so the bumper would be sturdy.

Now I've got a problem. I can support the carrier for the generator by welding brackets to the rear bumper which would keep it from bouncing around. That seemed to be his main concern. You don't want anything bouncing around in the in the back causing vibration thru the frame. I just reconfigured the weight and it will be between 210 and 220 pounds counting the carrier, the gas, and the chains to lock it down with.

I'm open to any thoughts and would appreciate them. The service rep did suggest putting the generator up front but it would mean adding a way to fill the gas tank and an outside exhaust would have to be added. I'm not real comfortable with that idea.

Jim
Old 05-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #5

Put it in the bed of your pickup! Thats what I have done for years. SIL made me a bracket that bolted to my truck bed with a steel strap that went over the generator. Secured by two bolts and two locks. Plus with my folding and lockable tonneau cover, three locks and out of site, out of mind, it never went anywhere without me.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Put it in your truck bed.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "6 nights"
Old 05-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Put it in the bed of your pickup! Thats what I have done for years. SIL made me a bracket that bolted to my truck bed with a steel strap that went over the generator. Secured by two bolts and two locks. Plus with my folding and lockable tonneau cover, three locks and out of site, out of mind, it never went anywhere without me.
Thank you! I'm being real stupid here because I never gave that a thought. [I have class III on the back of my truck that I could put the cargo carrier in with no problems. I wanted to be able to leave it running when I went out so I can have the air on for my dog but I'm sure I can figure out a way I can do that.

Jim
Old 05-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #8

I have my Powerhouse 4000 watt EFI generator in the bed of my truck. Fits behind the hitch on the passenger side. I can drop the tailgate and hook up in a minute for power.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #9

No way would I put a gen. on a rear bumper!
1. at some time you will back into something...
2. at some point in time someone will hit the rear of your tlr.
3. it's out in the open and more noisy and open to the elements.
4. possible theft
5. etc....
Old 05-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I own a 2008 Rockwood 5th wheel, 8280ss super ultra-lite. I just got a Honda 3000is generator that weighs about 220 pounds wet. Welded on my back bumper is a class 3 receiver that appears to have been factory installed. It is not centered, it is mounted on the door side about 1/3 of the way across the bumper and is not wired for lights. Is this a factory installation? My guess is it is for a cargo carrier or bike rack or something on that order.

I mounted a cargo carrier from Harbor Freight that is rated for 500 pounds. I am going to weld additional straps to the bumper for added strength. Any other suggestions?

Jim
Hey Jim,

We also have a fiver, a 2011 Rockwood 8265WS.

Further we also have a Honda 3000is Generator for the house as a back up (we live on a small island). I was thinking of using the Honda 3000 for the trailer but felt it was to heavy.

My goal was to have something that did not require moving the generator, easy access so my wife could start it up without having to move it.

We opted for a EF Yamaha 2400 iSHC, it is light about 70 lbs.

We had the bumper extended and I had a generator box custom built to fit the Yamaha 2400. See the above links for pictures.

This setup works well for us and it seems to be standing up well. Last year we did a trip up to Yukon and Alaska and clocked around 12,000 Km or 7,200 miles.

Good luck,

Pony: 2017 Dodge 3500 Longhorn 4x4, Quad Cab
Harness: Hijacker 24-AS-18 Autoslide, Demco Glide Ride Pin Box
Chuckwagon: 2011 Rockwood 8265WS
Travel Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, generator, mount, wheel