Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #1

Genesis 3.0 / ZX800

Maybe someone can help me here. I have a problem that just came up. If I use my surround sound after about 3 hrs. my TV which is a Toshiba will shut off and I have to reset it. (we lose all picture) I have the newest Genesis system. I have checked and can run the TV for 3 day's without the surround sound on and it will stay on. I do not know what can cause this problem. I have emailed Bob Fields, called the # at least 6 x's and nobody is getting back to me. My dealer has no idea why this has started to happen. Yes it is still in warranty and I have reset the Genesis but it will still happen. I do not understand how this unit would control my TV except maybe the video input. I do not know I hope one of you will know being, it seems I'm spinning wheels here. I plan to take the unit in soon but as the dealer told me it will have to happen then when tested. Everyone knows that if you have to wait for parts it could take weeks if not months to get something replaced. This should not happen. I could live with it I guess, but why should I. I hope that Mr. Fields reads this post and can tell me what is wrong or do I need a filter installed. Thanks for any feed back, I have checked other threads but did not find anything on my problem.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #2

I found this on the web. Hope it helps.
Quote:
All new and modern sets, Toshiba included, have a special circuit inside called the power protection system. It constantly monitors the current or power consumed by the set at all times. When it detects excessive current being drawn from somewhere within the sets many systems it shuts the system down to avoid futher damage. You can think of the protection circuit as an intelligent fuse.

Any of the sections can cause this problem; indeed, even the protection circuit itself can be the problem.

Before the tv tech comes, if you can, do a hard reset. This clears up any problems associated with software corruption.

HARD RESET: Unplug the power cord. Leave it unplugged for 4 hours. Doesn't matter about the surge protector - either way. When you power it back up it will automatically replace all soft codes with the factory default settings. IF the problem was caused by a software glitch this will clear it up. So, try this first.

WHACKING TEST: Sometimes, even with the very best brands, there is a loose wire or connection or cold solder joint inside that will act up. If you whack the set with your hand by just smacking it on the sides, top, back, etc., it will wake up the bad connection and get it going correctly again. Long shot, but worth a try since it won't cost anything to do it. Do the whacking both before and after the Hard Reset operation.

If these two procedures don't help, then you surely will need the repair tech. And when the tech arrives on the scene you can explain you have done the reset and bumping test - per the Grand Wizard Cleggsan.

Don't let the service tech off the hook; ask him what is wrong after he makes the diagnosis and have him explain exactly which part needed replaced. If you can't remember the terms, have him write it down so you can send it to me and I will see if if makes sense.

Based on the actual defective parts and what was done to restore the set, we can decide if it will be a bad choice to keep the set or trade it off for another.

However, don't get too discouraged. These kinds of problems, although quite severe, happen often and they are easily diagnosed and fixed up. There are over 3,000 parts in a set of this kind and any one of them can act up; let alone the thousands of solder connections and wiring harnesses. Inside the ICs are thousands, sometimes millions, of transistors. The complexity of a tv set is often beyond the comprehension of the average consumer. Enough to scare you , but don't worry, those who live with them are accustomed to the complexity and have had training to understand what is going on inside.

Hope this helps, and let me know the outcome for my infinite bag of tricks for the next Toshiba correspondent!

All the best,
Cleggsan
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
I found this on the web. Hope it helps.
ROAD-KING

I took your advice, and you are 100% correct. On Toshiba TV their is a problem with the RCA jacks that will make the TV shut down. The dealer replaced the the TV and I supplied them with a MONSTER HDMI cable to install which it did not come with. Bob Fields got back with me and conf. and said that adding the HDMI cable would not be a problem and he thought it was the TV. The dealer said I would still need the red and white RCA cables attached. I thought that the HDMI would replace the RCA hook-up all together? The dealer also said that if it happens again they will replace the unit with any other brand that I wanted. We have an LG/HD TV at home that has a much better picture. They were going to install a LG, but it would not fit the bracket installed by FR. When I got home I installed a new bracket that I got at Walmart, it will fit any TV between 27" and 42". If it happens again I will be ready to change brands, Thanks for your help..
Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

The red and white cables are audio out from the TV to the Genesis to allow you to use the surround sound when you are watching TV shows, the HDMI cable is not bi directional in this case. Without them you would only hear sound from the TV speakers. I doubt you will find many TV's anymore that have audio out jack to facilitate this type of setup.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
The red and white cables are audio out from the TV to the Genesis to allow you to use the surround sound when you are watching TV shows, the HDMI cable is not bi directional in this case. Without them you would only hear sound from the TV speakers. I doubt you will find many TV's anymore that have audio out jack to facilitate this type of setup.
Thanks for the info, But I just purchased a new LG/HD (2weeks ago) as stated and it has places for 3 sets of RCA jacks and HDMI outputs (1). I had to use RCA cables to hook up my 7 year old Zenith theater system, which did not have a HMDI slot, but my HD receiver from directv did. Now I get surround sound with any channel on aux. for regular TV with the Zenith on, but I did not get it before to just watch TV without the RCA hook-up's to the DVR. which is also connected to the TV with both the HDMI and RCA cables. I guess that why I got a 4 year contract with the GEEK SQUAD.....