Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #1

Genesis System

So being an A/V geek I took the genesis 3.0 out of the wall today to check things out and thought I would pass along some info. First, the audio from the tv is only in two channels as wired at the factory, left and right. There is a digital input for an optical or coax cable to carry the 5.1 signal from the digital out on the tv. Just need to buy the cable. All HD programming has this so I figured I may as well take advantage of it. This will allow a sound quality like many have in a home theater. Second, the Sirius output wire was not plugged into the Genesis correctly. I moved it to AU2 and all works now.
Indy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #2

Did you take any photos to show how the wires should be plugged in to each unit? That would help a lot. I added an HDMI cable but have not had a chance to try anything other than the TV. The wife has XM radio for her Acura but I was not sure I wanted to add it to the TT since it doesn't get near the use that her car does.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Playtime III

2X on the photos. I have never been able to use the DVD player, the audio portion works but not the video. I'm guessing the video cable at the player became disconnected because I can connect another DVD player to the TV and all is well.
800 wd/dual cam sc
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #4

Sorry, I didn't take any pics but all the wires coming out of the Genesis are RCA type plugs and are very clearly labeled. Just pop off the plastic border and you'll see 4 screws, that's it to get it out. There's enough slack in all the wires to set the unit in the cabinet next to if if you have that while you plug things in.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III
2X on the photos. I have never been able to use the DVD player, the audio portion works but not the video. I'm guessing the video cable at the player became disconnected because I can connect another DVD player to the TV and all is well.
Just pull out the Genesis and you'll see a yellow plug that says "video out". Make sure that is plugged into a wire that is going to the tv. I think with all the wiring options it would be very easy for them to make a mistake at the factory and miss a connection.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalohunter View Post
Did you take any photos to show how the wires should be plugged in to each unit? That would help a lot. I added an HDMI cable but have not had a chance to try anything other than the TV. The wife has XM radio for her Acura but I was not sure I wanted to add it to the TT since it doesn't get near the use that her car does.
My DH has XM radio as well for his truck, but our TT has Sirius Radio; same company, but two entirely different plans! I thought I could get away with just having one account. Not so....I have to have an XM account and a Sirius account. The good news is that I can transfer between them. So if I want to have the Sirius account activated in the summer months only and then switch back to XM for the rest of the year, I can do that. Or I can have both activated. I can move the Sirius receiver to my vehicle, since it's portable, and I can use it while we're not camping. I can also transfer payments between the two accounts.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator

My DH has XM radio as well for his truck, but our TT has Sirius Radio; same company, but two entirely different plans! I thought I could get away with just having one account. Not so....I have to have an XM account and a Sirius account. The good news is that I can transfer between them. So if I want to have the Sirius account activated in the summer months only and then switch back to XM for the rest of the year, I can do that. Or I can have both activated. I can move the Sirius receiver to my vehicle, since it's portable, and I can use it while we're not camping. I can also transfer payments between the two accounts.
It is frustrating as they apply a discount for multiple radios on the same account, but not between Sirius and XM. Really a crock! I have XM in my truck and my wife has Sirius in her car, but no discount for either. Our TT came with the XM version of the radio. One hint if you call to activate, don't let them charge you the activation fee. I told them I didn't want to do it if that was charged and it took talking to a supervisor but I did get it waived. Only $15, but I figure that's a night of camping at some places. Also if you have a smart phone with unlimited data, you can add online listening to your existing account for $2 a month and plug your phone into the genesis.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Steve View Post
It is frustrating as they apply a discount for multiple radios on the same account, but not between Sirius and XM. Really a crock! I have XM in my truck and my wife has Sirius in her car, but no discount for either. Our TT came with the XM version of the radio. One hint if you call to activate, don't let them charge you the activation fee. I told them I didn't want to do it if that was charged and it took talking to a supervisor but I did get it waived. Only $15, but I figure that's a night of camping at some places. Also if you have a smart phone with unlimited data, you can add online listening to your existing account for $2 a month and plug your phone into the genesis.
Why would I plug my phone into the genesis when I can just move the receiver from my vehicle to my TT?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator

Why would I plug my phone into the genesis when I can just move the receiver from my vehicle to my TT?
I thought you were talking about having them both activated or switching between the two depending on the season.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Exclamation

my question is why not get an android phone or the like and use the pandora app to listen to ANYTHING you want for free ? any genre that you can find on sirius or xm can be played via your smart phone with pandora . we just plug our phones into our concertone unit or this .

Name:   radio.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  38.4 KB

just sayin ..... we used to have xm but then we got SMART ....... phones and just do that . beside you have web email and weather radar etc etc .
no brainer for us !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Steve View Post
I thought you were talking about having them both activated or switching between the two depending on the season.
I think I'm going to activate just ONE of them this season. DH has the built in receiver in his Ram, and the TT came with the portable unit. Corners have to be cut somewhere, and this is where I can cut some corners and not suffer too much. My DH only drives a couple of miles to/from work, while I drive 40+ miles a day, so I'm opting for the Sirius removable unit for my vehicle. But your option would work also.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
my question is why not get an android phone or the like and use the pandora app to listen to ANYTHING you want for free ? any genre that you can find on sirius or xm can be played via your smart phone with pandora . we just plug our phones into our concertone unit or this .
Attachment 11044

just sayin ..... we used to have xm but then we got SMART ....... phones and just do that . beside you have web email and weather radar etc etc .
no brainer for us !
So Pandora doesn't cost anything and you don't use up any minutes/data on your phone? I'll have to see if Pandora is available for a Windows phone.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Uses data from your plan yes but we USE it all the time and NEVER GO OVER. Data
And I use phone 4 90% of my surfing and posting here

Ps we have a 5gb plan.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #14

X2 on Pandora... as long as you get a phone signal, you are good.

We also have downloaded a few radio station apps. (Air1 and KLove). We can listen to their broadcast via our phone.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #15

I have plans to pull the Genesis next week and wire it the way I want it - including the outputs to the two other TV's in the bedrooms..

I'll take some pics when this happens.

Thanks for the info so far.

2012 Rockwood 8281SS
2012 F-250 6.2 V8
Derekcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
Playtime III

I pulled the unit last week. Not much help. All of the RCA connectors were connected correctly. I ohm meter checked the cables between the unit and the Television and no breaks/grounds. So the problem must be in the unit itself. No matter, a $20 DVD player connected to the patch panel works just fine
800 wd/dual cam sc
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekcan View Post
I have plans to pull the Genesis next week and wire it the way I want it - including the outputs to the two other TV's in the bedrooms..
I now have the same video output everywhere. What I did was get a female RCA to Coax connector and put that on one of the three video output RCAs (one goes to the main TV) to the COAX splitter. Then, using the COAX already installed, I got two male RCA to COAX so I could plug that into each TV Video in. No matter what I watch on TV, all the outputs now have the same signal.

This seemed much easier than running wires all over place. The only issue at this time is the back bedroom does not have audio, unlike the other areas using the roof speakers.

I have a solution, but have not done it yet. I will split the AV1 audio and use RCA's to the room next to the unit, via a wall plate.

2012 Rockwood 8281SS
2012 F-250 6.2 V8
Derekcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
I've had Sirius for many years in my truck. When I got my Rockwood with XM I simply opened a new second account, 2 quarterly contracts at 29.99 per quarter for "mostly music". Thats $60 for 6 months and includes all music plus NPR, Classic Radio and more. Just right. In upstste NY, that's the season.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #19

Problem with DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
I'm having the same issue. Did you get it to work? and if you did, what did you do? Thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #20

We purchased our Rockwood 2109s in April and have taken 3 trips so far and the ONLY thing wrong is with the stereo - Genesis 2.0 GT. As others have reported the DVD and CD players do not work, never have. There is also 1 of the 6 speakers out as well.

When we called the dealer we were told they have had so many stereo complaints that they are trying to work directly with the manufacturer. It's a small annoyance but we still want it fixed. I'd actually love to pay a little extra and upgrade it - but was told that is not possible.

So far we really love our TT and have been trying to get out at least every other weekend.
pbetz is offline   Reply With Quote