Old 07-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Giving up????

Well, we've had our 8317SS for 13 months now and have been out on 12 trips - ranging from weekend getaways to 10 days in Maine. And honestly I'm very disappointed and frustrated with the Forest River QA. Reason being, after we return from every trip the camper makes a return trip to the dealer to fix on going or new issues. The repairs range from a tub leak that has been fixed (4) times thus far... Constant awning adjustments, an A/C units that sometimes works, an oven that is 40 degrees hotter than the set point and the list goes on....

Is anyone else having this many problems??? I'm ready to throw in the towel and move manufactures....

Brian, Julia, Matthew (6), Patrick (4)
Ginger (Vizsla #1) & Bandit (Vizsla #2)

2010 Rockwood 8317SS Signature Ultralight
2005 Ford Excursion PSD - MBRP 4" Turbo back - Prodigy P3 - Dual Cam
2Vizslas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
The awning, the tub, the oven, and most all other stuff is not made by Forrest River. If you start looking at other brands, look at the manufacturer of these items and you will probably find, same thing you have. Now I feel for your problems. What is leaking about the tub? If it is the plumbing, then blame Forrest River, they installed that, but didn't make the tub. Probably a Dometic AC unit, Suburban or Atwood water Heater, Dometic refrigerator, ..... The list goes on. Blame who you wish, but if looking to trade to something different, be warned, a lot of what you will be getting is the same.

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
I realize that the awning, A/C, etc are all commerically purchased by FR and installed by the same however the constant tub leak is what really set me down the path of moving on to another manufacture. The dealer has even dropped the gray tank and found that all of the tub drain plumbing was never cemented together...however the leaks continue.
Brian, Julia, Matthew (6), Patrick (4)
Ginger (Vizsla #1) & Bandit (Vizsla #2)

2010 Rockwood 8317SS Signature Ultralight
2005 Ford Excursion PSD - MBRP 4" Turbo back - Prodigy P3 - Dual Cam
2Vizslas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
I truly feel your frustration. We only had our 2006 8281SS in our possession for 9 months out of the first 24 months that we owned it. There is simply nothing more frustrating than making payments on a trailer you have not even seen in several months. It went back to the factory twice and was constantly at the dealer. It seemed every camping trip either began with hauling the trailer to the dealer for a repair or returning from the trip with a stop at the dealer. Camping trips delayed starting, camping trips cut short and some that never happened.

On the positive, Forest River did stand behind their product and eventually get everything right. Our 8281SS has now been trouble free for three years.

If you have a good dealer with a good service department and really like your floor plan, then hang in there and hopefully everything will get resolved. But I truly understand how frustrating it can be. Good luck!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (12 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
My oven bakes at least 50 degrees hotter than the setting. I didn't feel the need to take it to the dealer to fix this minor problem. Probably because I don't want to spend 2+ hours on the road, plus wait time for something I can live with. Yes, we've had some small issues, but my DH is very handy and has fixed 99% of them himself and when he performs the fix, he uses high quality parts, fasteners, etc. I consider it "better than new." My ex used to work for an RV dealership and there are some people who bring their TT in for service every other week and there are those you never see once they leave the showroom. Unless it's something major, covered by warranty, we'll be the ones they never see.
2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
Forest River

I have had two Forest River Products. My 1st was a travel trailer and my second is our current Class C RV. Nevery had any problems with the travel trailer during the time I owned it other than normal wear and tear. I have had the 2011 Class C "Sunseeker" since April and so far I did have to bring it back to the dealer once and also to a Ford Dealership for a check engine light. Just one of the items was probably due to Forest River and that was not having hardly any city water pressure. It was due to a kinked hose inside the RV.
Prairieville, Louisiana
2011 Forest River Sunseeker 3170
campingcajuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
I once had a tt like the one 2Vizslas is describing. Besides the usual problems of a new tt, I had delamination and leaks before and after FR replaced both sidewalls. I can understand how he feels. When you pay the $$ we all pay for our tt's and you have to take it in to get fixed after every camping trip, it's very frustrating.
After owning mine 14 months I decided it would be cheaper in the long run to take a loss and trade it in on a new tt. I don't regret it.
I did stay in the FR family. I don't believe any other manufacturer is any better than FR and there are some that are worse. That tt was my third FR tt at the time and the two before were very good tt. I felt that I just got a lemon.
So good luck to you 2Vizslas in what ever you decide, but I don't believe you'll regret it if you end up replacing your current tt with another FR product.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
My 2010 2604 was in the shop after every single trip for the first year. I had 21 documented problems. The good thing is that most of them were manufactured by someone else & just installed in a Rockwood. I've been problem free for almost a year now & other than the Concertone piece of .... everything is great.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
Grape Escape
It sure is an advantage to be a handy person when one becomes an RV owner. If I had to return to dealer for every problem that cropped up I would totally frustrated. Do Japanese manufacturers have to straighten out the RV industry like they did to the auto manufacturers? Time to shape up.
Don't discount it. The day will come. Who would have thought couches, furniture, cars, trucks would be shipped across the ocean 40 years ago in the quantities of today
2008 Cardinal 30RKLE 5th wheel sold
2006 Rockwood 2607, 2001 Traillite
55 nights 2009, 53 for 2010
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
Sorry to hear of your issues. I've got an 08 model that has been great. A few issues early on...fridge door panels fell off, replaced Concertone, drawer under couch fell apart. 1 trip back to dealer fixed all these issues. So far everything works good. Last year I had to replace 12V power supply, but not a huge deal. Was on the road so ended up with a different unit than was stock. Only other issues are ones I have caused. Latest is a new awning.....not enough tilt during a huge rain storm. Actually broke the roller tube. That was a BUNCH of water.
I do however repair/replace items which may cause problems. (thanks to all the great folks here.) I've replaced all access door weatherstripping, resealed roof with Eternabond, and re chaulked slide out seals.
Pretty much changed floor plan as my needs changed. Took out smaller bunks and made a desk area, shelving and a closet. Exchanged couch for 2 rocker/recliners and removed dinette booth and added free standing table and chairs.
I plan on keeping this coach for quite some time. I'm just getting to know her.

Walt-N-Terry Sanford
03 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
08 Rockwood 8317
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote