Old 09-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #11

Stick the $2,400 in a sock and use it to pay for repair items after the first 2 years ( buy the second year warranty from FR for $150) of warranty coverage. Now, after the next 2 years ( 4 years total), take the money left in the sock and through a BIG party for friends and family!!!!!!!!

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #12

2nd Year FR Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Buy the 2nd year Warr from F/R for 150.00$ on your unit,that will cover you for a Total of 2 years! If a F/R Dealer gives you Grief about Repair,simply go to a Independent and Contact F/R for a Authorization # and Avoid any Hassle! Youroo!!
As I posted in another thread, I just had warranty work done under the 2nd year warranty. Work order totaled $835.61. Covered in full. Only cost to me was the original $150 I paid for the second year. Still have 6 months of coverage remaining. Work was done by my selling dealer.

2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping in 2015, 45 in 2016
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #13

I never buy an extended warrantee for cars, appliances, etc. But a trailer is a house bouncing along bumpy roads at 60+ MPH. I learned quickly that some expensive parts may not hold together. I got an extended warrantee for my 5th wheel and it did pay for itself over time. BTW, the dealer never mentioned the FR 1 year extension. Bad dealer. But the extended warrantee paid for a replacement microwave, an axle (long story), and lots of other small stuff not covered by collision and comprehensive. But as advised above, read the tiny print in the policy before you buy. Those warrantees have lots of exclusions and they differ from company to company.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #14

Be careful...Bought used Elkridge from Camping World...and the extended warranty for couple grand because sales guy said covers everything hitch to bumper...Afte buying read the fine print in contract did not cover wheels, axel, bearing, or a number of things...We were told all was checked and so we were trusting. 500 miles later blew a tire...They did offer to pay if we got it fixed..and later did. We had it checked finding all tires bad, cracked bearing, and much more. We dropped warranty and went into heated debate with them taking a good wasted year with no traveling...They did finally replace tires, bearings etc. Prior to this we had a refer go out in a different RV and no one would honor the extended warranty...Had bad wheels, axel etc over years when we were young and stupid and none of the extended warranties were worth anything...
Old 09-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #15

Get the 2nd year warranty from FR but BEWARE you only have like 10 Days to sign up. Read the Fine Print
Cardfully
Old 09-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #16

Was going to get the FR 2nd year warranty, then the dealer told me it was just a waste of money!! So we did not! Drove away feeling like we had made a boo-boo, but now we are into our 2nd year, so we shall see.
BTW, I did buy the 5 year extended warranty on our Dometic refrigerator and I am glad I did. SO far, it is the only issue we have had with our new TT.

Heading to Colorado soon!! Happy Camping to all.

Also... most fine print says " you must get annual checkups" on the covered items for the warranty to work. Not practical for most
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottaluvlife View Post
Did a lot of research..narrowed down to 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503S model. Got great price from RVW. Addl $1k off price to finance with them. (We will be paying off much faster!) However, we are unsure if it is worth adding $2400 for extended warranty 4 yrs (incl Rockford 1 yr warranty - it supposedly includes things that might not be covered by them in 1st year - slide seals, gaskets, towing, etc.)
Should we or shouldn't we? We are out of state, and will already will get access to nationwide service locations for 1st year)
If someone already hasn't t mentioned. Forest River may offer 1 year warranty beyond the 1st year for Abt $200. But must be purchased with in first 10 days of ownership. Can someone else lead this FROG to the information that is out there?? The forms were on the web site Then after two years you can buy additional if you think it is necessary and have time to explore. Just my 2 cents
Old 09-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
I never buy an extended warrantee for cars, appliances, etc. But a trailer is a house bouncing along bumpy roads at 60+ MPH. I learned quickly that some expensive parts may not hold together. I got an extended warrantee for my 5th wheel and it did pay for itself over time. BTW, the dealer never mentioned the FR 1 year extension. Bad dealer. But the extended warrantee paid for a replacement microwave, an axle (long story), and lots of other small stuff not covered by collision and comprehensive. But as advised above, read the tiny print in the policy before you buy. Those warrantees have lots of exclusions and they differ from company to company.
I just found out about the details of the FR Optional Protection Plan from this forum today. I have vague recollections of asking my dealer about it some time after we bought our 5th wheel (well past the 10 day window) and IIRC was told it covered virtually nothing so was worthless but lookie here at the 3rd party plan they wanted to sell me for almost $5,200. I declined.

That said, I contacted FR today and was told the 90 day window info printed on the application I downloaded is in fact only 10 days. Also, that a dealer is not obligated to make a buyer aware of the availability or extent of the plan from FR and it is up to the buyer to learn of it from whatever other source!!! If that isn't a colossal load of HS I don't know what is!
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #19

I agree that warranties aren't worth much. If you drive it
a fair amount the first year (under warranty) you should get most
things fixed (under warranty). Trouble is as I found out the tech at my dealer is a goof & so ultimately I'm paying for his incompetence.
As someone else said they'd rather fix the TT themselves. Me too!
Old 09-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandSH View Post
I just found out about the details of the FR Optional Protection Plan from this forum today. I have vague recollections of asking my dealer about it some time after we bought our 5th wheel (well past the 10 day window) and IIRC was told it covered virtually nothing so was worthless but lookie here at the 3rd party plan they wanted to sell me for almost $5,200. I declined.

That said, I contacted FR today and was told the 90 day window info printed on the application I downloaded is in fact only 10 days. Also, that a dealer is not obligated to make a buyer aware of the availability or extent of the plan from FR and it is up to the buyer to learn of it from whatever other source!!! If that isn't a colossal load of HS I don't know what is!
I know the Factory "Grace Period" is "All Over the Place,10 days to 6 Months" as Members have Posted! Now in regards to "Dealers/Stealers",NOT telling people about the "2nd Year F/R Warr" that is a Place I?We would NOT Buy from! Our Dealer PAID the 150.00$ as part of our Deal,all we had to do is "Mail It to F/R" Youroo!!

Tags
warranty