Old 09-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #1

Got great price! But should we add extended warranty?

Did a lot of research..narrowed down to 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503S model. Got great price from RVW. Addl $1k off price to finance with them. (We will be paying off much faster!) However, we are unsure if it is worth adding $2400 for extended warranty 4 yrs (incl Rockford 1 yr warranty - it supposedly includes things that might not be covered by them in 1st year - slide seals, gaskets, towing, etc.)
Should we or shouldn't we? We are out of state, and will already will get access to nationwide service locations for 1st year)

Old 09-09-2016, 01:13 AM   #2

We did but we plan on keeping ours 10 years at least. It gave me peace of mind since this is our first TT.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:34 AM   #3

If you have 100% factory warrant I would not buy extended warrant until it was about to end, would also look at FR one year extended warrant giving you two years. Feel you are wasting a couple years cost as it would double coverage. The insurance is going to say it's covered under factory so they will not pay.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Days Camping 2014-96, 2015-130, 2016-85 and counting
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:42 AM   #4
World Wide Wanderer

Ask for a copy of the extended warranty and read it VERY carefully. Some are better than others. Also check out the reviews and ratings of the warranty company. I would also wait until at least 9 months into the original 1 year warranty period to purchase an extended warranty if you want one. They are primarily a money maker for the dealer and warranty company.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:13 AM   #5

I am in the same pickle. I normally say heck no... I figure I saved 6000+ on a cheaper trailer so I can afford to get the insurance, but mostly I am not buying local and may have a hard time getting service. I dunno. The dude from RVW said I could decide all the way to the p/u. At this moment I am maybe 60/40 for it. Let me/us know what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Days camped 2016 8 2017 1
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:26 AM   #6
Now Camping Year-Round!!

We bought the FR 2nd year warranty for $150 instead on our last 2 purchased trailers.
2011 Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel King Ranch
2011 Rockwood Roo 21RS
2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:05 AM   #7

Read the fine print on aftermarket extended warranties very carefully.
Make sure you understand EXACTLY what is covered and what isn't.
Understand how the covered repair gets authorized and who/when gets paid.
DO NOT rely on the salesman to give you correct information.
Aftermarket warranties are money makers for the dealers or they wouldn't bother selling them.
The factory warranty will cover anything major and add the 2nd year for a couple hundred bucks.
If you want tow coverage, there are better options for road side service that will cost you WAY less.

Just my 2... YMMV.
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottaluvlife View Post
Did a lot of research..narrowed down to 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503S model. Got great price from RVW. Addl $1k off price to finance with them. (We will be paying off much faster!) However, we are unsure if it is worth adding $2400 for extended warranty 4 yrs (incl Rockford 1 yr warranty - it supposedly includes things that might not be covered by them in 1st year - slide seals, gaskets, towing, etc.)
Should we or shouldn't we? We are out of state, and will already will get access to nationwide service locations for 1st year)
If you have any mechanical ability at all I don't think it would benefit you at all but that is just my opinion. We bought the 2nd year FR warranty for $150.00, never used it and did repairs myself. The hassle of trying to get things fixed through the dealer just wasn't worth it. There were two things I went to the dealer for and was told to put the trailer on the back lot and they would get to it whenever they could. Received parts for no charge from FR and did the repairs myself. not only the hassle of getting the trailer looked at but the shoddy workmanship I have read so much about on the forums, not only FR but most other brands also. If you did not buy the RV from the dealer you are trying to get service from you are put off and pushed way back to the end of the line taking months sometimes. The FR warranty and the second year from FR are well worth getting.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #9

Buy the 2nd year Warr from F/R for 150.00$ on your unit,that will cover you for a Total of 2 years! If a F/R Dealer gives you Grief about Repair,simply go to a Independent and Contact F/R for a Authorization # and Avoid any Hassle! Youroo!!
Old 09-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #10
Site Team

As mentioned above read it very carefully. Understand your responsibilities. Some require annual inspections and service at your expense. Also be aware that plans that pay dealers below their standard rate will result in your unit sitting at a dealers lot while the work on full paying customers units. In my case the cost of that inspection was $500 ( including parts etc) . We put savings in bank to cover any repairs and are ahead so far. Do not believe anything that is not written on the contract.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty