Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #1

Got our 2306 THRILLED!!

We got our 2306 on the 6th ! Gotta tell you…we are thrilled! Our murphy bed is great (except one of the latches is a little cockeyed but we will fix that). Our special 8 inch mattress fits nicely on the murphy bed as well. The problem I thought I was going to have with the TV being a bit further (vision problems) turned out to be not so bad at all! We have 4 speakers inside that make the TV and our British Mysteries DVD really fantastic. The flooring is nifty, slip resistant, pretty warm on our last cold morning out and attractive. The higher toilet is so nice on old(er) knees and it is a wider "seat" than any other rv we have seen. (but it does make a rather loud squeaking noise when you sit LOL). The new LED lighting is really really nice and I love the DUCT 13.5 air conditioner. The larger fridge with separate freezer is really handy and the fridge HAS A LIGHT INSIDE when you open the door !!! YEAH!!! I love the pretty spacious bathroom too! Lots of space to put our stuff, a small but useful shelf across the side of the bathroom and a pretty good size tub/shower with a skylight. We have the Create a Breeze vent in the bathroom and darn.. it really works and creates a nice little breeze. Aside from the latch that is off a bit the only other problem we had is a scratch on our dinette table. We are working with the warranty people on that (it's a scratch about 20 inches long. But, we are so happy with everything else we aren't concerned. Oh and if you get this and you get the "shades" for day and night… and if someone else doesn't tell you, do not try and unscrew the screws that are attached to the cords for the shades. They remain. You just have to PULL the shades down and that is it. We had not seen anything like that in an rv so were a bit perplexed at first. We of course did not have a regular walkthrough as it was delivered to us from Ohio. But all is terrific and we are thrilled with our new little 2306 ! Oh and I know some folks are not thrilled with the new door system but we love it. I can get through the door in or out with an armload of stuff (or when I use my crutches etc) and the door opens kinda on it's on. It doesn't open all the way but we don't need it to. It does open more than half way which is great for us. At least on our door it is pretty easy to close to, not stiff or difficult at all. Oh and the heater worked great too. Obviously we are smitten with our new arrival and photos to come ! Off in the 2306 again on Monday ! Forgot to ask.. has anyone decided to bypass the two latches on the Murphy Bed to use a strap to make it easier? If so what did you do and how is it working for you? thanks

Our "Fur Kid" Roxie the smiling doxie is so amazing !
gobblertales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #2

Gobblertales, first of all I like your choice of member photo. The face on your dog is priceless- - . Next, your comments on the 2306 makes me more excited about delivery of our 2306 which is due around 1st of December. I want to ask how your Fourrunner did towing so far? What size engine does it have? How was the experience on any hills so far? Im still a bit concerned as to how my 2001 Tundra will behave. It has the 4.8l but at 245hp its weaker than your 270hp 6cyl if that is your engine size. Raspivey has a 2008 Trailblazer and has told me I shouldnt have issues except maybe for hills, but I figured your input would be valuable also. I suppose Im just being a nervous nellie - -
Stov
Stovocor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #3

HI! Well this is our 3rd 4runner. We think (hope we are remembering right) our first 4 runner in 2005 had a 6 cyl. and think it was 245 hp. We pulled a hybrid trailer and for the life of us cannot remember the weight on it. We had no problems in towing though honestly did not go into the likes of the Blueridge Mountains or such. We towed around Texas, Oklahoma (mostly Southern States). So far for us (our towing limit is 5,000 lbs) we have not had a problem. But we have only had our 2306 for a week. With the 5000 lb. tow we try and stay well under. We had a lighter weight KZ that was not a problem either. But again we haven't gone into really big "hills" or mountains. There is a place called tundratalk.com perhaps they can give you some other hints ?? In fact the sight for towing under this tundra talk is
Tundra Towing & Hauling - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum I searched and that is the best I could come up with for ya. Anyway, my husband agrees with Raspivey. What is your tow limit in your manuals? I could not find that. As far as our 2306 we do have a sway bar (from our old rev's) but everyone we have talked to said they did not even know the 2306 was behind them, they would laugh and say they had to keep checking to make sure it was still hitched up. Let us know if we can help with another info though. Wish I could have helped more.!!

Old 11-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #4

We previously pulled our Flagstaff 23lb with our v6 gmc envoy. Towing capacity was 5000 lbs but on hills it struggled so we upgraded to the v8 5.3 liter model. So far it pulls great. Towing capacity is 6100 lbs.

Flagstaff 23lb is the same as your 2307.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

Congrats on the new home... Hope you love it as much as we do.

We have not even thought about a different system to keep the bed upright. If you do make a mod, please share it with us all. We're considering disengaging the locking system (when it's down) and eliminate the pull cord... Need to think it through, however... Just don't see the need for it.

I was one who started out not liking the door... Just not used to it. My little ones had some issues with it in the beginning... But now I love the feature. Double check the seal around the door window for leaks... Mine is in the shop being fixed under warranty. Water came in through the outside of the window and out the bottom on the inside.

Also... We removed the wood "protective" panels under the bathroom sink and inside the storage compartment under the bunks. Adds quite a bit of room. Under the bunks, We added a couple braces a little farther back to keep things from hitting the water pump and pipes. It added enough room to put an RV mat and all our camp chairs in there. The panel inside the little compartment under the pantry needs to stay, however. Too many pipes and such to remove it.

I tow with a 2012 Nissan Armada. It has a 5.6L with a 6500lb tow capacity. Added the equal-I-zer 4-pt... We pack fairly light... But I really do forget that it's back there. Coal trucks give me a little wiggle on the interstate... But nothing that makes me even a little nervous. It's a great compromise between having a family do all vehicle and TV.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #6

Stovocor, saw your post about towing your 2306 with your Tundra. We tow our 2304(a bit heavier than your 2306 I think) with a 2010 Tacoma with the tow package(6500 lb. tow cap.) and Equal-izer WD hitch. Am completely satisfied with how the Tacoma handles it. Oh yea, the Tacoma has a 4.0 V-6, not sure of the HP. You know it's back there on the hills, but I sort of expected that.
Bandit114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #7

Hi. Great ideas. My husband wants to know how you did the compartment under the bunks. If we looked at removing the barrier we arent sure how to move more because the tubes coming from the water filter is right behind the barrier. Did you move the hoses? Thanks

Old 11-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobblertales View Post
Hi. Great ideas. My husband wants to know how you did the compartment under the bunks. If we looked at removing the barrier we arent sure how to move more because the tubes coming from the water filter is right behind the barrier. Did you move the hoses? Thanks
We just pulled the panel and put in spring loaded fridge bars. They protect the water lines decent enough. We have to adjust them every so often... but as long as you don't put things back there that will shift too much (a bunch of small things), you should be good.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #9

Thank you very much. We'll take a look at that. Sounds like an answer for additional space. Appreciate it

Old 11-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #10

Thanks Bandit, Gobblertales, DisDad for the feedback on your towing experience. I suppose it really doesnt matter at this point as I am picking up our new 2306 next tuesday and the Tundra WILL be the tv. I am really looking forward to getting this tt. No more pop-up rain camping headaches.
That Dog, Roxie absolutely crackes me up - what a face!
Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #11

Hi again. First thanks for the nice words about our doxie. She is so special. She loves going in the rv but she doesnt like the murphy bed. In the other rv's she had a ramp which allowed her to get up on the bed at will. Now there isnt room for a ramp, but too her "big bed" disappears into a sofa. Lol. She was confused at first as to where the big bed goes when the sofa appears. Smile. Anyway, we love the 2306, but when you pick it up have them put the bed down. Then walk around it pushing down on the mattress around the bed. If you have read my other thing on this forum we are having avlittle problem with a bad squeak onone side in one place. But it affects even turning over. Sounds funny but it is quite annoying and appears not to be a problem with everyone elses 2306. So just check.. seems to be in the support on the one area. Worth checkinh though. Yours should be fine though. Great luck to you and our little Roxanne says hi and says she thinks its great you like her photo lol. Well she would say that if she could talk. Ha

Old 11-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobblertales View Post
. Our special 8 inch mattress fits nicely on the murphy bed as well.
I have murphy bed as well. Is the 8" mattress a factory option? or did you purchase it elsewhere?
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #13

Hi boatnut! The mattress that came with the new 2306 was about 5" thick. Plus you can plug it in for a heated mattress! We would have kept in gladly, but because of my disability I needed a bit more. About 2 years ago we ordered an 8" short queen mattress. There are lots of places who sell them including on Amazon. Camping World, Camperpedic, and lots of others. Just put in custom RV short queen mattress. They will vary as to what they are made of so look for what you think will do you best. Many folks are using the memory foams ones, but my husband doesn't like them because they hold too much heat for him. Also, you might have to think about the Murphy Bed. Our mattress is a bit heavier than the one that came with the 2306. So the cable you have to pull to put up the Murphy Bed is even harder to pull than before. And it was difficult before, now worse. Prices will also vary. If you are thinking about getting a 2306 you might want to try out the one that comes with it. It is way better than the 2 or 3 inch rv mattresses we had in other rev's. Then go from there. Hope this helps!

Old 11-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #14

Thanks for the info. I already have the camper and spent 2 months in it last winter in Florida(loved ocala nat'l forest!). It was ok but, when it comes to mattresses....size might matter? LOL. I will check some out next time i'm at a Camping world.

Oh by the way, My goldendoodle is named Roxy
Old 11-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #15

Oh you will have to put a photo of your Roxy up here ! Yep,size does make a difference ;-) But I think it also depends on the "innards" too and if you a soft mattress, firm mattress etc. We kind of like the in between of those though. I think even Walmart sells short queens now (I guess via internet). If you find the type you like I would just search the internet for the best price. Camping World isn't always the cheapest on things. But perhaps they might have some you can try out before you buy. We know some folks here who have a golden doodle by the way. It is soooo sweet and soooo soft.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #16

thanks for the info. With mattresses, I always prefer to "try before I buy". Here is pic of my Roxy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roxytht.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	43052  
Old 11-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #17

Oh my gosh

she is soooo adorable !!!! Look at that face !!!!! Does she go camping with ya'll??? She looks so soft!

Old 11-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #18

yes, she goes everywhere I go!
Old 11-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #19

Hey Gobbler! I lost my camp buddy (small mixed breed dog) of 15 years this past summer. Lucas went where I went and was a good friend. He had character as I can tell Roxie does too.
I got my 2306 this past tuesday and was pretty happy with the way it towed. No real white knuckler. Just can sure tell its back there. I will just have to take it easy down the road and resist the urge to keep up with the faster paced vehicles.
I finally got around to doing a more thorough inspection a radio plugged into one of the outlets. After a couple hours the radio went dead. There was no ac power anymore. I checked the incoming power and the breakers which were on and not in a tripped position. I started another thread in the forum to see if Im missing something obvious.
I did put the Murphy bed down as you suggested and rolled around a bit and there were no squeaks. I sure am liking the layout of this camper. Very well done. Am looking forward to camping trips next spring. Im afraid my next trip will be back to the dealership for warranty repair.
Will send posts to you and let you know how things turn out!
Cheers!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #20

Stovocor

We had a similar problem with our KZ the very first night out. The breaker =s were ok but our problem was one of the FUSES. In our case this one fuse kept going bad repeatedly. This was in addition to a fuse box/breaker box fan problem. Finally got it back to the dealership. They re did the entire electrical thing there but later still had a problem with the stupid fuse. We finally had them upgrade the fuse from 15 amp to 25 amp (they said that could be done) and stopped those problems. But, then after they redid all that we still all of a sudden had all our outlets go bad. Found out……. when the redid all of the breakers, that one of the breakers were not even wired up. It was "leaning" against the wires just enough to work and for us to go on a trip, go bad on the trip causing us to go back from the trip (4th time we had to cancel a trip because of problems) only to find out one of the guys must have gone on break while putting in the new breakers and simply forgot to wire one breaker up. they said it was leaning just enough to work then due to driving it simply jostled it around to lose touch with the wire. All very strange. And not even an apology for their stupid mistake. These folks were not Forest River but rather KZ dealership. I sure hope it gets fixed for you! Let us know what it turns out to be!! So sorry about the loss of your travel buddy. Our Roxie is such a huge part of our life. Roxie isn't sure that she likes the Rockwood like i said. She always had a ramp for her to get up and down the previous ft's beds. Since the Rockwood's bed is a bit higher and because when down we don't have enough room for her ramp (it would have to be taller and longer) we have to lift her up and down. She walks around the bed "looking" for her ramp. But at least when the bed is up and we can put her smaller ramp in place so she can get up and down the sofa. She is a 1/2 mini dachshund and 1/2 regular dachshund and when she was 2 she had a minor back problem, so got her to start using ramps and we have been lucky enough to have never had a back problem with her again. Just thinking, perhaps we should start a brand new Topic up here so people can show off their camping buddies !! A place just for the animals of us Forest River folks!! Bet it would have some great stories!! LOL

Tags
2306, led