Old 09-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #1

Graphics

I recently bought a used 2014 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280WS which was in very good condition except for the graphics on the very front or the unit. The "S" in Signature is in half and most of the lettering is peeling and curling. I have a contact for new graphics but was wondering if anyone has tackled this project on their own. I'm sure it isn't to difficult (might be wrong on that)but it sure will be time consuming. If anyone had done this themselves can you give me some advice? I can take it to a shop but it would probably cost a few hundred dollars. Someone who attempted to do this themselves might just suggest spending the $ or I might be told it was a piece of cake.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #2

Here is a picture which actually doesn't look all that bad but looks worse in person. It just drives me nuts. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1475001171.795117.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	121439

Old 09-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #3

I took (most of them) off while still new.

A little heat from the sun or a hair drier and they peel right off.

(Careful if your cap is plastic)

If you are uncomfortable with applying heat, 3M makes a wheel for removing decals.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...4945378&rt=rud
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	121441  
Old 09-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #4

I'm ok with taking them off but I do want to put new graphics back on.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #5

I'm not sure I understand what it is you are wanting to do?
Remove the graphics?
Remove graphics and install new ones?
Try to make new ones yourself?

Removal of the old graphics is the easy part. (with the methods mentioned above)
Prepping the surface and installing the new graphics (straight and without bubbles on a curved surface) is the harder part.
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Nights Camped: '15 = 22'16 = 46
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #6

I want to remove peeling, cracking graphics and then put on new ones. I know when I remove the torn, cracking, peeling ones I will have a fingerprint of the graphics that were there. I was hoping maybe someone tackled this project themselves that can give me ideas such as waxing off this fingerprint as well as putting on new graphics(which will be the same as original graphics). I should have been more specific to my original post, sorry.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyrock1 View Post
I want to remove peeling, cracking graphics and then put on new ones. I know when I remove the torn, cracking, peeling ones I will have a fingerprint of the graphics that were there. I was hoping maybe someone tackled this project themselves that can give me ideas such as waxing off this fingerprint as well as putting on new graphics(which will be the same as original graphics). I should have been more specific to my original post, sorry.
I just got through with a similar project. Four of my graphics on the front cap were in terrible shape. They were dried out, cracked, discolored, and baked on. None of the heat or chemical methods of removing them worked... at all.

I found the Whizzy Wheel: https://www.amazon.com/Whizzy-Remova...+remover&psc=1

This product actually works very well! The instructions say to use a drill with speed of 2k to 4k so I had to buy a cheap drill at Harbor Freight that was fast enough. 3/8 in. Variable Speed Reversible Drill

The Whizzy Wheel took the old vinyl off in short order, but left about 80% of the dried up glue. I used acetone (won't hurt gelcoat) to soften the glue and then employed the plastic razor blades that came with the Whizzy Wheel and it came right off without any damage to the gelcoat.

Then I went over the cap with the Meguiars Fiberglass Oxidation Removal kit https://www.walmart.com/ip/MEGUIAR-S...ystem/29077962 and now the cap looks great. I used a dual action buffer also bought at Harbor Freight 6 in. 5.7 Amp Heavy Duty Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher

Of course there is still the 'ghosting' of the old decals but I like the way it looks actually. If your ghosting isn't as severe, the Meguiars product might remove it entirely.

I did use the Whizzy Wheel on another vinyl graphics on the RV that wasn't dried out and it took off the graphic AND the glue in short order just as shown in the videos you can find in a google search.

I've attached some pics that shows the Whizzy Wheel, the before pic, the during pic of the remaining glue, the cap with graphics removed and half of the cap refinished with the Meguiars kit, and the final pic.

I wouldn't of been able to accomplish this without the Whizzy Wheel.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03624.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	121457   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03626.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	121458   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03628.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	121459   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03635.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	121464   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03636.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	121465  

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:40 PM   #8

NMWildcat thank you, that's is exactly what I was asking about. The 5r' looks great. Are you going to put on new graphics? If I take my nose graphics off I will just have a big white wall so I'm thinking on replacing the graphics. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyrock1 View Post
NMWildcat thank you, that's is exactly what I was asking about. The 5r' looks great. Are you going to put on new graphics? If I take my nose graphics off I will just have a big white wall so I'm thinking on replacing the graphics. Thanks for the info.
No problem, glad to share. I just needed to remove the four smaller (used to be silver) accent graphics and I won't replace them. The main one is still good for now. If you do get replacement graphics I would recommend going to an auto graphics place and have them put the graphics on for you. It really is fairly inexpensive and they do a great job. We did that for a previous RV. The expensive part is if they have to remove the old ones And if you want a different graphic, then most of these type shops can design and create them, again fairly inexpensive.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
No problem, glad to share. I just needed to remove the four smaller (used to be silver) accent graphics and I won't replace them. The main one is still good for now. If you do get replacement graphics I would recommend going to an auto graphics place and have them put the graphics on for you. It really is fairly inexpensive and they do a great job. We did that for a previous RV. The expensive part is if they have to remove the old ones And if you want a different graphic, then most of these type shops can design and create them, again fairly inexpensive.

Thank you, that's what I will probably end up doing.