Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #1

half ton

Anybody pulling a rockwood 8285 ikws with a half ton truck?
barefooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Team

I would think that it would help if you posted info and specs of your truck.
Very few 1/2 tons can tow 5th wheels and the number of those 5th wheels is very limited.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #3

The OP posted this on another forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefooter1 View Post
I'm towing a rockwood 8285 ikws 5er with a Z71 half ton 4 wheel drive with a 6.2 Liter engine and airbags. I have no problems and is very stable. Also getting 12.3 miles to the gallon on the average. Pretty good for everybody I've talked to that a half ton shouldn't do it. Oh and on the scale camper loaded is appox. 8500 lbs. with pin weight of 1400....
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #4

Are you just looking for others that do it for comparison? I've only seen one person "in person", I'm sure others do it. Is it smart, safe, enjoyable? I don't know but I don't know if I'd do it. But I have the overkill mentality.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:59 AM   #5

I used to pull an 8265ws with a 1/2 ton Siverado. I pulled it about a half dozen times and it scared the heck out of me. All the numbers seemed to work but just didn't feel safe. I pull with a GMC Duramax now. The other problem was pulling with a short bed and I always seem to have more sway and chucking with a short bed truck. I was getting about 8 MPG, and with the GMC I get around 14MPG. Don't just think of you're safety but think about the people around you.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:36 AM   #6

We pull a Rockwood ultra lite 8280 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton Silverdo .That trailer was made to be pulled with a 1/2 ton pickup . We have been all over New England with no problems . The truck handles it great . Good luck with yours .
Old 03-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #7

1/2 Ton

I pulled an 8280 for a year or so with a Silverado 1500 with the 6.0. I added Timbrens to control the "wallowing" and an air bag pin box to help with chucking. However, I never felt really in control, and I stayed away from really steep downgrades. In 2013, I moved up to an F350 diesel, and it made a world of difference in riding comfort and confidence. I now don't worry about merging with the traffic on an uphill ramp, but the biggest surprise was on the downhills, where the exhaust brake and integrated brake controller make the down hills a breeze. I go down I40 at Black Mountain several times a year, and I usually only hit the brakes once or twice, and the truck maintains the speed. This 1/2 ton towing is a long running debate on this forum, and many people seem to be very satisfied with the half ton. it would be interesting to know how many of them have experience towing with a diesel for comparison. By the way, I went with the F350 instead of the F250 after I noticed that the rated cargo load capacity of the F250 wasn't much more that for the 1500. I think the rating on the F250 is significantly derated in order to comply with the 10,000lb GVWR for avoiding CDL in commercial usage. Also, I was also concerned that Mama would want a bigger camper at some point, so I went ahead with the 1 ton.
Camped 36 Days in 2012, 23 Days in 2013, 35 Days in 2014, 30 Days in 2015, 46 Days in 2016, 5 days in 2017.
MikeInRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

half ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInRaleigh View Post
I pulled an 8280 for a year or so with a Silverado 1500 with the 6.0. I added Timbrens to control the "wallowing" and an air bag pin box to help with chucking. However, I never felt really in control, and I stayed away from really steep downgrades. In 2013, I moved up to an F350 diesel, and it made a world of difference in riding comfort and confidence. I now don't worry about merging with the traffic on an uphill ramp, but the biggest surprise was on the downhills, where the exhaust brake and integrated brake controller make the down hills a breeze. I go down I40 at Black Mountain several times a year, and I usually only hit the brakes once or twice, and the truck maintains the speed. This 1/2 ton towing is a long running debate on this forum, and many people seem to be very satisfied with the half ton. it would be interesting to know how many of them have experience towing with a diesel for comparison. By the way, I went with the F350 instead of the F250 after I noticed that the rated cargo load capacity of the F250 wasn't much more that for the 1500. I think the rating on the F250 is significantly derated in order to comply with the 10,000lb GVWR for avoiding CDL in commercial usage. Also, I was also concerned that Mama would want a bigger camper at some point, so I went ahead with the 1 ton.
Diesel [emoji106]

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #9

6.0 Silverado

It is good when one can expand one's knowledge. The 6.0 was called a Vortec and it was used in the gasoline powered 2500, and came in a top end package in the 2008 Silverado with moon roof, 20" wheels, etc.
Camped 36 Days in 2012, 23 Days in 2013, 35 Days in 2014, 30 Days in 2015, 46 Days in 2016, 5 days in 2017.
MikeInRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #10

We pull a Rockwood 8289ws with our F150 and haven't had one issue. Set the cruise for 60-65 and let er go.

2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost / 3.55 Max Tow Package
2018 Rockwood Windjammer 3029V
Equal-i-zer Hitch 12K

"Time Camping Isn't Spent, It's Invested"
Codz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInRaleigh View Post
It is good when one can expand one's knowledge. The 6.0 was called a Vortec and it was used in the gasoline powered 2500, and came in a top end package in the 2008 Silverado with moon roof, 20" wheels, etc.

To help you expand on this. All gm truck engines were called vortec until I think it was the 2013 model year when the name changed to ecotec. The 6.0 that came in the 1/2 was called a vortecmax and a badge was put on the door above the 1500 tag.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #12

Ahh...I hate this conversations because honestly there will never be a right or wrong answer because it is subjective. So here is my rant, I apologize a head of time...

Subjective: What might be safe to me may not be safe to you. I might find it fun to drive a race car around a track at 120 mph but you might not...pretty much the same thing when talking about a 1/2 ton pulling...as long as you are within the safety limits provided and a properly equipped truck, meaning within your weight limits and so on. Several will argue with this but again start from the beginning and read it over...we all view things differently...but as long as you are within posted limits it turns into what you as a person feel or believe...

Meat and Potatoes: I have read several threads stating the stopping power of a 1/2 ton when towing bigger trailers is an issue also emergency maneuvering is or could be and so on. Well I have an issue with that. As long as you are within your ratings then you should be fine. The manufacturers have tested this and that is why they set limits...They are not saying I can tow 15,000 lbs...could I maybe but of course not safely because I am above the posted limits...argue what you want...I know you will anyway...Your trailer tires are rated for 65 mph...can you go over that sure...should you probably not...but if you stay within the rating listed than you are most likely going to get the best result(China Bombs or not)...I feel like 1/2 ton truck have a target on them...
You always hear bigger is almost always better...of course...if I towed my 5er with a big rig case closed...People always seem to point out 1/2 ton trucks towing in the upper 3/4's of their limits and how crazy or unsafe that is to people...which to some it is and to some it is not, go up and re-read the "subjective" section if you need too. What you rarely hear is people pointing out 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks that are towing at the upper 3/4's of their limits. IMO that is the same scenario, I will agree they have better brakes and axles...but again they are pulling bigger loads so does that mean they can stop better...turn better...or emergency maneuver any better??

Dessert: This argument will continue forever. I am not saying that I disagree with some points that are made. In fact my next truck in 2 years will probably be a 3/4 or 1 ton. But that is only because I can see us upgrading to a bigger 5er not because I feel my 1/2 ton is not up to the task. Thank you for reading I am sure I will catch all kinds of heat for this...but hopefully the 1/2 ton guys towing safely(Key word) will step up...and the others will understand why this subject is so subjective...bring facts not feelings...but always be safe and have fun camping that is why we are all on this site to begin with...

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice12t View Post
Ahh...I hate this conversations because honestly there will never be a right or wrong answer because it is subjective. So here is my rant, I apologize a head of time...

Subjective: What might be safe to me may not be safe to you. I might find it fun to drive a race car around a track at 120 mph but you might not...pretty much the same thing when talking about a 1/2 ton pulling...as long as you are within the safety limits provided and a properly equipped truck, meaning within your weight limits and so on. Several will argue with this but again start from the beginning and read it over...we all view things differently...but as long as you are within posted limits it turns into what you as a person feel or believe...

Meat and Potatoes: I have read several threads stating the stopping power of a 1/2 ton when towing bigger trailers is an issue also emergency maneuvering is or could be and so on. Well I have an issue with that. As long as you are within your ratings then you should be fine. The manufacturers have tested this and that is why they set limits...They are not saying I can tow 15,000 lbs...could I maybe but of course not safely because I am above the posted limits...argue what you want...I know you will anyway...Your trailer tires are rated for 65 mph...can you go over that sure...should you probably not...but if you stay within the rating listed than you are most likely going to get the best result(China Bombs or not)...I feel like 1/2 ton truck have a target on them...

You always hear bigger is almost always better...of course...if I towed my 5er with a big rig case closed...People always seem to point out 1/2 ton trucks towing in the upper 3/4's of their limits and how crazy or unsafe that is to people...which to some it is and to some it is not, go up and re-read the "subjective" section if you need too. What you rarely hear is people pointing out 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks that are towing at the upper 3/4's of their limits. IMO that is the same scenario, I will agree they have better brakes and axles...but again they are pulling bigger loads so does that mean they can stop better...turn better...or emergency maneuver any better??

Dessert: This argument will continue forever. I am not saying that I disagree with some points that are made. In fact my next truck in 2 years will probably be a 3/4 or 1 ton. But that is only because I can see us upgrading to a bigger 5er not because I feel my 1/2 ton is not up to the task. Thank you for reading I am sure I will catch all kinds of heat for this...but hopefully the 1/2 ton guys towing safely(Key word) will step up...and the others will understand why this subject is so subjective...bring facts not feelings...but always be safe and have fun camping that is why we are all on this site to begin with...

[emoji1417][emoji1417][emoji1417][emoji1417]
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #14

I might as well add my 2 cents worth too. When we bought our tt I had a Dodge 1/2 ton with 5.9 gas engine. It pulled ok around the state except against a stiff headwind. With some side wnd/or other large vehicles passing me it had some sway. With out any wind tho you still needed a long run to pass some one. I came across my current truck and bought it. What a difference-stable in all conditions, allison transmission can't be beat and as for the 8.1 liter engine-as they say "there's no replacement for displacement". Sure I don't get the gas mileage diesels do but I paid less than I would have for a diesel and maintenance and repairs cost less. But to each there own-I'm not trying to start a gas verses diesel war. Like an RV-there's no right or wrong. It just depends on what you can afford and how you want to do what you do.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefooter1 View Post
Anybody pulling a rockwood 8285 ikws with a half ton truck?
I pull a Rockwood 8285WS with a F150 Ecoboost Supercab 6 1/2 ft bed. I did add super springs.
Over the last three years we've traveled approximately 20,000 miles over 20 states. Average 10 to 11. MPG.
I am within 50 lbs. of my rear axle weight limits.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:13 PM   #16

Thanks for the info

I've been looking at doing this same thing with my F-150. I currently have a XLR Hyperlite and have been thinking about upgrading to a 5th wheel. Thanks for all the info. Very helpful.
jt0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice12t View Post

X2. I don't have any experience towing a fifth wheel with my Silverado but I would second that as long as your are within the guidelines you should be fine. It all comes down to comfort, we tow a 26Tbud which is 28ft long and weighs in around 7800lbs so not much different in specs. My wife is yet to drive when we take it out and it all comes down to comfort. She isn't uncomfortable with me driving but she knows her limitations and is waiting for us to upgrade to a duramax. There is always going to be some wind or a rut in the road that causes a hairy moment from time to time. Sometimes I feel the HD trucks give people a false sense of security and they pay attention less much like the people that by a 4x4 and think somehow it's going to stop or corner better on an icy freeway you always see them in the ditch first. You can be fully within your specs and feel out of control.
Paddytbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:42 AM   #18

You are a brave man CampingBaba.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:37 AM   #19

Love these threads.
I just traded my Gmc 1500 with 6.2 and tow package for HD duramax.
I really loved the 6.2 8sp combo...fastest vehicle I ever owned...barring motorcycles[emoji12]. Duramax is great package too but more lineman than running back.

What I'm not seeing is a bunch of flaming death stories from the 1/2 ton crowd. Could more people describe what they didn't like about towing with their 1/2 ton? I just upgraded my tow vehicle before I even brought the trailer home mostly because I didn't want to worry about exceeding my payload every time we take off...it would be within 50 lbs too.

Hope I didn't waste my money. If all the 1/2 ton people are happy I may have been hasty. The 1500 was badass and a great daily driver. I'm picking up my 8289 Monday.

Some must watch while others must sleep
drstimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:24 AM   #20

It's good to hear different spins on the halfton towable fifth wheels. The right truck for the job it has to do. Mine is doing great with it. And I'll pull it from 65 to 70 miles and hour. It is the difference between night and day pulling a 5er as to a TT.
barefooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote