Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #1

Has anyone actually weighed their 2306 w/Murphy bed?

Picking up my 2306 soon and I'm getting nervous about weights! lol I'll be towing (for now) with a Honda Ridgeline. I'm comfortable with my combined weight and payload weight, but I think I'm going to be close on my tongue weight.

The supposed "dry" weight of the 2306 is 3700 lbs, so I'm *hoping* it'll weigh in somewhere around 4200-4300 lbs as delivered and loaded (we're very light packers). Let's say it's at 4200 lbs; a 12% tongue weight would put me at 504 lbs, which is right at the 500 lb limit of my truck. So...

Can anyone confirm what their 2306 with the Murphy bed ACTUALLY weighs, as verified with a scale? Thanks!

Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

the fictional "dry"weight is 3700lbs. that doesn't include the weight of "options", such as oven, a/c, awning, spare tire, microwave, grill, t.v. and so on.
my HTT weighed 400lbs. over its "dry" weight, when it arrived from the factory.
and that was with the basic "options".

so, you can figure that it'll weigh 4000lbs. before adding the weights of the battery, propane, water and cargo.
adding 40lbs. for the battery, 40lbs. for propane and 250lbs. for water, you'll be 4330lbs. before you add any cargo.

and you have to subtract the weights of whatever is in the Ridgeline, other than the driver, from your 5000lbs. tow capacity.
so, you're already over the often-recommended 80% rule. you'll be at or over the 5000lbs. amount.

if you lived in Florida or Iowa, you could get by for awhile but in Colorado?

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #3

I'm going to be an optimist here and cite the fact that I won't be carrying any water. That puts me closer to 4000lbs which, while not ideal, is certainly within my truck's specs. And having raced motorcycles for many years I certainly have no problem revving an engine -- especially a Honda. lol
Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #4

Thank you for the info by the way. Hopefully more 2306 owners will chime in with real-world weights!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #5

PG,

I know you picked up your 2306. Did you get a chance to weigh it yet? I got the same model and was curious what the weight was with all of the options including the tongue weight. Also, did you get a 2012 model or 2013 and what brand tires were on it?

Thanks for all your help on this! It's good to have another new owner to bounce questions off of now and then.
Dan
Old 03-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #6

Didn't get a chance to weigh it on the drive home -- it was WAY too cold to be outside hitching and unhitching! I'm going to weight it once the weather here improves, and I'll be sure to post my numbers.

As for your other questions, to be honest I'm not sure how they labeled my trailer (2012 or 2013) -- I'll have to check the paperwork. The tires are the Chinese Load Stars.

One other thing I found interesting is that there seemed to be some "upgrades" I wasn't expecting. For instance, the shower curtain track is curved and the stereo unit is NOT a Concertone. On top of that, it has Bluetooth built in which I wasn't expecting. Do any other MiniLite owners have these features?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider
For instance, the shower curtain track is curved and the stereo unit is NOT a Concertone. On top of that, it has Bluetooth built in which I wasn't expecting. Do any other MiniLite owners have these features?
If it's a Genesis 3.0, it's made by Concertone.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #8

You should have a yellow sticker inside the camper, backside of a door, that sticker will have the weight of your unit as it can off the line, difference between that and your take home should only be maybe the battery (depending on unit options) and the weight of the propane your dealer should have added. I would not weight it unit you load it for camping to know what you are really pulling.
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
You should have a yellow sticker inside the camper, backside of a door, that sticker will have the weight of your unit as it came off the line, difference between that and your take home should only be maybe the battery (depending on unit options) and the weight of the propane your dealer should have added.
That's what's weird -- my yellow sticker (there's one on the screen door, and one on the front left side of the trailer, bot identical) specifies a weight of 3780lbs. I want to beleive that's my as-delivered weight, but yet that's also the advertised "dry" weight on the Forest River website.

I want to believe that's truly my as-delivered weight, and Forest River is just very truthful/accurate with their advertised dry weights. Guess I won't know for sure until I get it on a scale...
Old 03-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
That's what's weird -- my yellow sticker (there's one on the screen door, and one on the front left side of the trailer, bot identical) specifies a weight of 3780lbs. I want to beleive that's my as-delivered weight, but yet that's also the advertised "dry" weight on the Forest River website.

I want to believe that's truly my as-delivered weight, and Forest River is just very truthful/accurate with their advertised dry weights. Guess I won't know for sure until I get it on a scale...
I take it back -- my sticker does say 3780 lbs, but the Forest River site quotes a dry weight of 3646 lbs (a difference of 134 lbs). Is it possible that the AC, awning, and other options only add 134 lbs to the advertised "dry" weight?

Tags
2306, bed