Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OburgOrange View Post
Thanks. This is what I was looking for. My wife has issues with our current factory installed pull up steps. Hurts hips on the first step up. Think I’m going to check these out
Here's the link to the manufacturer's web site:
https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution

Also available on Amazon (free shipping for prime members) and at e-trailer.com (free shipping)

And, if you are going to the FROG rally at Goshen in August, Torklift will be one of the vendors there. That's where I bought mine last year.

Good luck.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #22
Always Learning

Quote:
And, how do you like them? Are they sturdy? Any bounce? Pros and cons?
I’ve had them installed since Dec 2015, if I recall correctly.

I love them. I’m a big dude at just over 300 lbs give or take a few pounds here or there.

My wife said she feels tremendously more stable. She felt like she HAD to use handrail with the old steps but is more comfortable without it with the new ones.

We had them transferred to the new camper when we traded last year and had to add a fifth step.

The only con is they seem to have loosened up over the 3 1/2 years we’ve owned them. Our front steps sort of extend too far and they’re less stable. If I tighten the bolts for each step, then they’re hard to deploy. I just need to contact customer service and find out what’s up.

I’d get them again in a heartbeat.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I’ve had them installed since Dec 2015, if I recall correctly.

I love them. I’m a big dude at just over 300 lbs give or take a few pounds here or there.

My wife said she feels tremendously more stable. She felt like she HAD to use handrail with the old steps but is more comfortable without it with the new ones.

We had them transferred to the new camper when we traded last year and had to add a fifth step.

The only con is they seem to have loosened up over the 3 1/2 years we’ve owned them. Our front steps sort of extend too far and they’re less stable. If I tighten the bolts for each step, then they’re hard to deploy. I just need to contact customer service and find out what’s up.

I’d get them again in a heartbeat.
Doug,

The 4-step set was, I though, just a little too long for our Columbus. Wouldn't extend properly, I was afraid, if there happened to be a rise or a concrete patio where the steps had to land, so we went with the three step. I can't imagine a trailer that high, that you would have to have a fifth step.

Our Columbus originally was built with a standard 3-step set, and I had the factory change it to a 4 step to accommodate Yvonne's hip problem. but now, with the Glow Steps, we've gone back to a 3-step set. Haven't used them yet - just finally got them put on a week or two ago, but she tried out both the 4-step and 3-step set, and said the 3-step worked fine for her.

Headed to Branson with our Granddaughter in early July, where they will get their first "real world" test.

Mike
Old 06-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #24

Wife fell and broke her ankle Jan 28, while we were in Florida. I bought the optional handrail that goes with the Glowsteps. I was skeptical, it looked a bit 'light'. It's awesome. Goes on/off in seconds, takes very little room to store, about as much as a thick broom handle. Stable as it can be. Doesn't replace the existing handrail; extends all the way to the ground.

And I'll give one piece of advice. I love the Glowsteps, but the installation instructions didn't work on my trailer. Long story, but we got them installed. However, the 4 step model didn't allow for proper leveling, so I got an "add a step" (another option of theirs).

However, I've since removed the adjustable 'feet' at the bottom. We were tripping over them because the only setting that came close to working had them extended all the way up. That gave a raised part to trip over, which we did. So I took them off and just put 1X4's under the last step, or leave it all the way on the ground, to make all 5 steps level. That, and the handrail, and they are now stable. I realize many folks have easy installations.....actually all I've talked to....and their steps are easy to level. It does matter whether the bottom of the last step is above or below your tires, depending on degree of level of the site you're on. But it's very doable and they now work great.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Doug,
The 4-step set was, I though, just a little too long for our Columbus. Wouldn't extend properly, I was afraid, if there happened to be a rise or a concrete patio where the steps happened to extend, so we went with the three step. I can't imagine a trailer that high, that you would have to have a fifth step.

Mike
Mike, I’ve been at sites where I had to block up the bottom step and add a portable step for a 6th step!
Old 06-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Mike, I’ve been at sites where I had to block up the bottom step and add a portable step for a 6th step!
Yeah, we've camped in West Virginia, too.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #27

Sorry for the delay in response. Here are the photos I took of our trailer today in our storage lot. It’s parked on a slope so you get a good idea of the steps flexibility in dealing wither different heights. The rear steps are set at the highest point for the closest terrain and the feet are adjusted for the differences in terrain. The front steps are set a notch lower for father terrain and the feet are also adjusted like the rear steps. I included a photo of them in the up position so you can see how the fit in the step box. If you’re wondering, the rear steps don’t have rugs because they are drying. We just got back from a week of beach camping and both sets we’re throughly trashed. Got the fronts done first so I could send these pics.
I installed them myself in about an hour a piece, the second being a bit quicker. Let me know if you have a questions about the steps and I’d be happy to help.
Also, I bought them from etrailer.com. Every interaction with this company has been great and I would highly recommend them, especially with their price guarantee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5374E074-8A02-4FF9-81D1-FB9A7F8DBF2D.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	206870   Click image for larger version

Name:	43C1E576-DFBA-4C78-8CF3-BB84A9C5CCF2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	206871   Click image for larger version

Name:	DAD80126-0CD0-4A50-98CB-F37D5D657107.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	206872   Click image for larger version

Name:	5FA20855-B052-4BF5-A81A-9F4E26B5165F.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	206873   Click image for larger version

Name:	2C54DAF4-A1A2-4DC4-B9BD-5CC73A94DAFD.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	206874  

In_a_Jamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_a_Jamm View Post
Sorry for the delay in response. Here are the photos I took of our trailer today in our storage lot. It’s parked on a slope so you get a good idea of the steps flexibility in dealing wither different heights. The rear steps are set at the highest point for the closest terrain and the feet are adjusted for the differences in terrain. The front steps are set a notch lower for father terrain and the feet are also adjusted like the rear steps. I included a photo of them in the up position so you can see how the fit in the step box. If you’re wondering, the rear steps don’t have rugs because they are drying. We just got back from a week of beach camping and both sets we’re throughly trashed. Got the fronts done first so I could send these pics.
I installed them myself in about an hour a piece, the second being a bit quicker. Let me know if you have a questions about the steps and I’d be happy to help.
Also, I bought them from etrailer.com. Every interaction with this company has been great and I would highly recommend them, especially with their price guarantee.
I have a Windjammer too. So I’m assuming I would need a 4 step. Looks as though a 3 step would work?
OburgOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #29

Quote:
I have a Windjammer too. So I’m assuming I would need a 4 step. Looks as though a 3 step would work?
Go to their website for all the details and how to measure for how many steps you will need.
https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #30

Yes, a three step will work. There is a lot of flexibility in these steps so should you be in a site that it lower on either the front or back, or lower on the right side, you can still adjust the steps lower to make up the difference. I like the four because the top step can be situated closer to the floor and the bottom step closer to the ground. We do fair amount of state park and off grid camping where having the four step really helps.
On Torklift's website, they suggest a 3 step for a 2019 3006V. I have a 2018 which is practically identical.
If it helps in the decision process, if you order the four step and don't like it, a step can easily be removed. Note, however, if you order the three step and want to add a step, you can, but the box where the step folds in is different on the three vs the four. There is a bracket to align/seat the step in the folded position that is necessary on the four but not the three.
Torklift GlowStep Revolution
Ultra Fab Power Twin
LevelMatePRO
In_a_Jamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:10 PM   #31

I have the Torklift steps and they are so much better than the factory "diving board" steps. I originally ordered the 3 step set and found them to be too short. A call to Torklift and I was connected to an engineer. He emailed me instructions for taking some measurements, I sent those back and was advised that because my TT axles sit under my springs my unit was higher than the 3 step set would work on. They sold me a one step add-on which was not hard to put on. I'm 70 and my knees are much older than that. The Forklift steps are so much better. I have found that if you spend some time and two wrenches (7/16 I think) and make small adjustments on all the bolts you can get the steps to be easy to handle. We highly recommend them.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, windjammer