Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #1

Heated holding tanks

Our wind jammer has heated holding tanks, does that mean that the water lines are also protected from cold?
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #2

I have heated holding tanks on my Jammer, on the bottom of the tanks on the outside there is a electric heating pad, which is activated by a switch on my control panel. I guess if they were on long enough some residual heat would get to the lines, but I wouldn't count on it. I am sure that your under carriage is covered like mine, so that would help protect them some, and your heater vents are in the floor so you should get some heat from them. You should be alright as long as you are not in below freezing temps for a prolonged time. I am sure others will chime in that camp in those conditions.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Typically the water lines are not protected by the tank heaters. But if you have enclosed underbelly and it is heated, then the lines in that area will be protected by furnace cycling.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #4

Winter camping we have frozen our white water hose several times but never a problem with the lines in the camper. If it's well below freezing we undo the hose and use tank water until the hose unfreezes. We keep the furnace on about 55degrees when we're not there and leave a small thermostat controlled space heater on lowest setting. Never had a frozen line but of course this in inmiddle Georgia. Heat radiates just fine from inside. We've never even used the tank heaters.
McFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud1 View Post
Our wind jammer has heated holding tanks, does that mean that the water lines are also protected from cold?
The answer is NO! Your lines will freeze as well as your OS Shower and Low Point drains,in freezing weather! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #6

Heated Holding tanks

Our holding tanks are heated (2304s Rockwood). Activate with switch by tv inside. HOWEVER, in colder weather, tanks stay warm, but outlet pipe leading from gray water to drain froze, thereby defeating the purpose. I had to get a hair dryer and heat the pipe before the gray water would drain. Not much fun under the trailer in a howling snow storm.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #7

When cold weather is approaching it's a good idea to turn the heat pads on at least a day in advance, also wind is a lot worse than frost alone.
Your water lines should be fine down to a certain temperature as long as you have your propane furnace running and make sure no warm air can escape from the underbelly, anything exposed will freeze right away though.
Every RV(er) is different.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud1 View Post
Our "Little One" has the heated tanks also: What I didn't know & or see when checking under the trailer was the fresh water line draw from the fresh water tank was exposed. A quick fix for it was a trip to the hardware store for a piece of foam that is made for putting on water pipes. Even at 80 years of living still learning!

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank