Old 03-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #1

Heated Tank Question

This is my first day on Forum, yippee!! I have 2007 8315ss and my question is how long can you expect to be able to use heated tank option before battery draws down? I have already dewinterized my tanks and now they are saying it will be freezing this weekend, any solutions please. Thanks in advance

Old 03-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #2

Don't know the answer to your question but if you aren't plugged in to electricity your time is limited.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #3

By the way welcome to the forum - there are lot's of helpful people here.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peartree1 View Post
This is my first day on Forum, yippee!! I have 2007 8315ss and my question is how long can you expect to be able to use heated tank option before battery draws down? I have already dewinterized my tanks and now they are saying it will be freezing this weekend, any solutions please. Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum.

I would be happy to test how many amps they draw using my batter monitor system but unfortunately even with the switch on the thermostats on the system does not turn the heaters on until the temps drop below a certain level. You might look online at the different aftermarket tank heaters and find out what they say for amperage draw.

Unfortunately the stock batteries that come with most RVs will hardly get you through a cold night running the furnace so I wouldn't be hopeful that they will run the tank heaters for too long either.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Head Rambler

Welcome Peartree!

The first thing I'd ask is where you're located and how cold is it supposed to get?

It'd have to get pretty cold for pretty long to freeze even the water lines enough to hurt them much less the tanks and drain lines.

Then I'd ask if you're sure the tank heaters run off 12 volts? They make both 12 volt and 120 volt tank heaters.

Third I'd ask if there was anyway to keep the RV plugged into shore power during that time. That way it wouldn't matter because the converter/charger would keep the battery(s) charged.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Welcome Peartree!

The first thing I'd ask is where you're located and how cold is it supposed to get?

It'd have to get pretty cold for pretty long to freeze even the water lines enough to hurt them much less the tanks and drain lines.

Then I'd ask if you're sure the tank heaters run off 12 volts? They make both 12 volt and 120 volt tank heaters.

Third I'd ask if there was anyway to keep the RV plugged into shore power during that time. That way it wouldn't matter because the converter/charger would keep the battery(s) charged.
That's what I do, plug into the house. You won't need 30 amp to use the tank heaters. I also place an electric heater inside the tt and open the cabinets under the sinks. Works well this time a year when you only have 2 or 3 nights at a time below freezing.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #7

Heated tanks question

Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure but thought the heated tank option was like refrig in that it would operate first on ac and the dc if ac wasn't present. As far as temps are concerned, expecting overnight lows in single digits and not higher than 35 for the weekend. Unfortunately no electric hookups available where it is presently stored but thanks again

2007 Rockwood 8315ss
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l hemi
Old 03-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If they're the factory installed heaters, they're 12V adhesive backed heating pads attached to the discharge end of the tanks and at the valve. 120V power would keep them from discharging the battery.

If you don't have much in the tanks, you could dump a jug of antifreeze in each. Just a thought...

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood