Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #1

Heater stopped working - and TV Wiring question

Hello All,
I am new to the site. I am a proud owner of a 28' 2008 Ulta Lite Signature Series Travel trailer. We bought it in Banning and never owning a trailer before it was a great expierience. We had in our minds to get a small one and ended up with a deluxe. It was used but very clean. Here's my questions. The first time I tried the heater it worked fine, but then we took it on our trip to AZ and the heater stop working. Both tanks are full of propane, and when I flip the thermostat on you can hear the heater start up but it only blows cool air, never gets warm and shuts back off after 30 seconds. It does not matter what temperture you set, anything above ambiant temp it turns on and back off. The air conditioner works on the same thermostat and works fine. Any suggestions ???
Second thing is the TV / Satellite / and DVD built in the wall, its hard to describe but after 3 hours in a park with other campers looking at it as well we gave up. We could not figure out how to get the TV to work with the DVD. It has a satellite on the roof (dome type) the regular crank up attenna and the cable plug in on the side plus the DVD. Radio works, surround sound works dvd sounds works as well but no picture.
Any suggestions ???
I am thinking hitching it back up and have the dealer work with it but I'm 80 miles away and its probably something simple.

So everyone knows what I am trying to describe I have attached pics of my tv wiring and cabinet.

thanks in advance ...
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1385   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1386  
HiDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #2

Maybe you got some air in the line to the heater. Try lighting all your burners on your range and keep them on for a few. While they are still on, turn on your heater and see if it starts heating again. Sometimes you get air in the line when you change the tanks and this allows the propane to flow.

Regarding your TV, your picture looks like the power boost antenna button is pushed in. Turn it off and make sure your Concertone is in the DVD mode.
opcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #3

Do you hear the flame start on the furnace? If not then it is either a supply problem with the gas or the ignitor isn't firing (common). I have delt with almost every aspect of RV furnaces in the past and have build quite a bit of knowledge with them.

The furnace will, when the thermostat is turned on, start the lighting process. The shut off valve will open to allow gas to flow, then the circuit board will start the iginition proces by sparking the ignitor. Once it fires off the ignitor senses the flame and tells the circuit board to keep the shut off valve open. IF the ignitor is bad (not sparking) it won't light the gas and the cirucit board will then shut off the flow of gas and run the fan to purge the chamber of gas. If the ignitor does manage to start the flame but it doesn't continue to run then the problem is either with the ignitor or the circuit board.

In most cases I have seen it ends up being the circuit board that fails. You need to have someone turn on the thermostat and listen in the vacinity of the furnace for the "click, click, click" sound of the ignitor tyring to light the gas. If that is present then maybe the gas shut off valve isn't opening, you can test with a volt meter for the presence of 12v at the hot lead to the valve. If the circuit board is opening the valve you will have 12V there.

I could go on an on with what to check next but to save time and energy I would advise that if you aren't mechanically inclined to work on it then you should take it to a dealer to look at it.

My money is on a bad circuit board. If it is, don't pay for a factory original but look online for Dinosaur Electronics as they make much superior replacement circuit boards for all RV appliances for less money than the OEM part...
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Mine did the exact same thing last trip out. I'm sure it was the sail switch. I was going to pull the furnace out but after removing the cabinetry around it I shook it a few times and it worked and has worked every time since. If the sail switch doesn't make contact the ignitor won't ever fire so it's good advise to listen for the click, click click of it.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Mine did the exact same thing last trip out. I'm sure it was the sail switch. I was going to pull the furnace out but after removing the cabinetry around it I shook it a few times and it worked and has worked every time since. If the sail switch doesn't make contact the ignitor won't ever fire so it's good advise to listen for the click, click click of it.
Thanks Bama, good point, I forgot the sail switch. I troubleshot my old furnace to the point of utter frustration and thus learned a lot about them. When was done I had replaced about every part on the thing. Finally gave up and bought a new furnace. I have since sold that RV but we bought two new furnaces surrounded by our GT378
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #6

On ours if you use the RCA jack inputs you have to have the concertone in the AUX setting and have the little black switch on the panel in the correct postion. One side is labeled for games and the other is for DVD. I do not think that matters but the little switch must be in the correct postion for what side you are connected to and the concertone on AUX. Hope this helps.
drc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDesert View Post
Hello All,
when I flip the thermostat on you can hear the heater start up but it only blows cool air, never gets warm and shuts back off after 30 seconds. It does not matter what temperture you set, anything above ambiant temp it turns on and back off. The air conditioner works on the same thermostat and works fine. Any suggestions ???
Bill, did you find a solution? My Wildcat 27RLS is doing the same thing.
DrMoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood