Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #1

Help Needed - Anything missing from PDI List?

Finally pick up the new 2016 Windjammer 3029 on Thursday. Spent time perusing all the various PDI walk through threads and PDI checklists. Consolidated them into my own PDI checklist.

If anyone has time to review the list - would love to get opinions on anything I may have left out.

Any Windjammer owners - anything you have discovered that you wish you would have checked in your walk through? If so, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: docx Windjammer Walk Through.docx (24.0 KB, 436 views)
Old 08-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #2

To complete that list you better give yourself at least ten hours and make sure you have a place to dump your full tanks.

Your list is definitely comprehensive, but a tad excessive for me. I was able to check all of these things out over a two-day period while I camped about three miles away from my dealer. I went over several of the things you list during my PDI and found nothing wrong. I have had my Windjammer 3029W for a month now and I have still found nothing wrong.

I think you will find your Windjammer exceeds your expectations and you are going to be very happy with it.

Good luck and congratulations.

Bruce
Old 08-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback Bruce. Since I live in NC and the dealer is in Ohio I am going a little overboard. Don't want to make the 600 mile roundtrip if I can avoid it. I also plan on camping by the dealer (Indian Lake State Campground) for two nights to check things out.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Comprehensive list. To take advantage of all that prep work, do not sign paperwork until it is the way you want it. Once the dealer gets your $ things get corrected much slower.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #5

Anything missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-canuck View Post
Thanks for the feedback Bruce. Since I live in NC and the dealer is in Ohio I am going a little overboard. Don't want to make the 600 mile roundtrip if I can avoid it. I also plan on camping by the dealer (Indian Lake State Campground) for two nights to check things out.
Our salesman suggested we video the walk through. Once you start setting up, you can replay the parts you may have forgotten.
Prybar-In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #6

⬆️ This

Video is a good idea. I took a post it pad with me and stuck notes all over the inside. Video helped with the outside.

2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
2015 Apex 288BHS
UmptySquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #7

Thanks for the feedback. Agree with not paying till fixed. And the video and post it notes are both great ideas I had not considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2015, 02:21 PM   #8

Have them check the hot water bypass valves and show you how they work. First trip out in mine and I was scrambling to figure out why I didn't have hot water. The bypass valves were turned wrong and allowing hot and cold water to mix together.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #9

Great list Steve. I just purchased my 2016 Columbus 320RL 2 days ago and have not been able to test unit near dealer. The fumes were too strong that the PDI alone made me sick and had to cancel the 2 nights we had planned to spend testing unit out. Have had the unit on my driveway for 2 days with all windows open and fantastic fans going. This morning added two portable fans blowing out as well to speed things along. Planning to test RV this weekend and hopefully all will be fine.

This very comprehensive list will assist me in the process as well. Thank you!

Robert
Medic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:29 AM   #10
MCTroy

We love our 2015 3039W and live up near your dealership. We are lucky as we purchased ours from Arbogast RV just a mile from our house, the one not on wheels.
Be sure to check the fold out bed. Our cover had a small tear. I think the dealer did it when unpacking it. Also the radio antenna wasn't connected correctly. Just little things as otherwise the W has been great and we have camped over 50 days in it already.
Enjoy your trip to Ohio!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:00 AM   #11

Aggie90 - have added the bypass valve check to the list.

Medic - did not even think about the fumes being bad. Hope ours is already aired out.

MCTroy - thanks for the advice. It seems most windjammer owners did not find much. Walk through starts in 2 hours and I feel like a kid Christmas morning. Been 6 years since we sold our last RV.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:41 AM   #12

What fumes would be that bad? Our 2010 didn't have them, had a new smell
1 mutt
on occasion 1 DD
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #13

We probably should have not only lit the oven but let it get to temp. We would have noticed what turned out to be a bad pilot light assembly from suburban. Our scare light on the left side of the trailer was mounted too close to the rear and the big slide contacted it when it was closed and broke out the back 2" of the housing and had to be replaced.
Our dealer had an additional DVD of the PDI premade which was a good review. Get a good explanation of the black tank rinser. It's not a flusher! See that the cranks fit the slide out manual retractors. Make sure you see where the pin comes out and how to retract the awning manually just in case. I shored up the floor of the shower with some additional foam, because it was spongy and not supported.
Overall we really like ours

jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #14

Update
Walk through went ok. Biggest issue was our Maxxair fans did not get installed. Ended up working out as unit had the remote controlled fantastic fans already installed so did not have to pay extra. I just had them add the Maxairr covers to each.

Dealer needed to fix a few minor problems:
- Water pump would not shut off - adjusted the pump and it shuts off a few seconds after water is turned off
- seal on one window was not set right- they fixed it
- small hole in roof right by fan. Looked like a screw or drill bit fell and made hole. Sealed it up with Dicor.

That was it. We were very impressed with RV Wholesalers walk through process. Allowed us to do everything on checklist - full walk through and fixes took about 4 hours. Also had them install the equalizer hitch. Much easier to use then my old Reese dual cam.

We are now at Indian Lake campground. 1st night went great. Plenty of room for all of our camp gear and almost everything worked great. Only problem was I could not get the water heated with the electric heater. Made sure water was in heater and heater turned on but no heat. Switched it off and put on propane and heated up quickly. So will call dealer this morning and see if they can fix it.

So at this point my expectations have been exceeded. Let's hope it continues.

Steve and Rhonda

Old 08-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #15
MCTroy

Glad to hear all is going well. I hope you enjoy your weekend in Ohio.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #16

So searched the forums on electric water heater issues. One poster suggested it may be unplugged. Called my salesman Mitch at RVWholesalers and he talked to service guys who suggested the same thing. So got in water heater cabinet and they were right. Just had to plug it in. A fix I can do. So enjoyed a wonderful day and another night in our new windjammer. At this time I am a happy camper.

Steve.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #17

Congrats

Our 3008W has had very minor problems. Hope you have a great time using your camper.
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi