Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #1

Help with cable please

For the first time, we are camping at a campground that has cable. We are having trouble getting it to work -- and since it's pouring down rain & we have our bored 6-year-old granddaughter with us, I'm hoping someone can give me some help.

We have it hooked up from the campsite connection to the outside cable connection on our camper. 2 spots - one labeled cable & the other satellite.

Inside behind the tv is an outlet with 2 spots to screw on a cable. One is marked Aux/Sat and bottom is TV. There is the button to push that is labeled On/Off.

The coaxial cord is currently hooked up to receive local stations using the roof mounted antennae that came on our camper.

Could someone please explain exactly what we should hook up to what in order to get hooked up to the cable. We've tried various things to no avail!

Thank you in advance for any advice. We are camping in a 2017 Rockwood 2504S.

2018 Leprechaun 311FS
Doxies in the Rockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #2

cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxies in the Rockies View Post
For the first time, we are camping at a campground that has cable. We are having trouble getting it to work -- and since it's pouring down rain & we have our bored 6-year-old granddaughter with us, I'm hoping someone can give me some help.

We have it hooked up from the campsite connection to the outside cable connection on our camper. 2 spots - one labeled cable & the other satellite.

Inside behind the tv is an outlet with 2 spots to screw on a cable. One is marked Aux/Sat and bottom is TV. There is the button to push that is labeled On/Off.

The coaxial cord is currently hooked up to receive local stations using the roof mounted antennae that came on our camper.

Could someone please explain exactly what we should hook up to what in order to get hooked up to the cable. We've tried various things to no avail!

Thank you in advance for any advice. We are camping in a 2017 Rockwood 2504S.
Hook up cable to the o/s cable connection. Inside hook up to TV connection. Make sure your antennae booster is turned off behind the TV. With your remote for the TV ensure that your source is cable and do a channel search like you do for the antennae search for TV. Hope that works for you,
Old 06-21-2019, 11:24 AM   #3

Also might be a good idea to check with the office and make sure they actually do have cable available. We stayed at one a couple weeks that still lists having cable on their website and some of the literature along with having the cable connections on the pedestal.

We wrestled with it for some time before we went to the office to ask about it. It turns out they had stopped offering it because the cable company had made it too hard for them to do. Like many other cable companies are doing they now required every TV to have a box in order to get any channels. The people in the office said this just didn't work as they would need to have a bunch of boxes on hand, people will leave and forget to return the boxes, broken remotes and the like. I can understand this since our cable company at home had just done the same thing rendering a couple TVs we had plugged directly into cable useless until I figured something else out.
smkauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #4

Thank you both! I wasn't sure about the cable connections inside. I also found that I needed to click on Menu & chg it from Air to Cable and then do the Auto Channel Search. Disney is now on and our granddaughter is happy!

Next step was going to be to check with the office!

2018 Leprechaun 311FS
Doxies in the Rockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #5

Cable

Important thing is to make sure your antenna booster is turned off. I went through the same thing. I didn't realize that when you turn the booster on it disconnects the cable electronically.

Good luck to ya
Jeanguypataterubberboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #6

Help with Cable

We had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago.

No matter how I hooked up the cable and the antenna on/off, it wouldn't tune the stations. One of the RV Park owners came over to my 5th Wheel and tried several different things and then brought a small TV over and it worked. He told me the likely problem was that my TV (a refurb the dealer installed) probably didn't have a QAM tuner, just an ATSC tuner.

Most newer flat screens have a combination QAM and ATSC tuner.

Definition below:
QAM Tuner (REQUIRED) QAM (quadrature amplitude modulation) is the format by which digital cable channels are encoded and transmitted via cable television providers, including Apogee. A QAM tuner is the cable equivalent of an ATSC tuner which receives over-the-air digital channels broadcast by local television stations.
Tuckers Truckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanguypataterubberboot View Post
Important thing is to make sure your antenna booster is turned off. I went through the same thing. I didn't realize that when you turn the booster on it disconnects the cable electronically.

Good luck to ya
The OP solved this, in the post before yours.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanguypataterubberboot View Post

Good luck to ya
Yea learned that the hard way too. Just forgot to turn it off and can’t figure out why I got no channels.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable