Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #1

Help with Progressive EMS hard wired in Mini Lite 1905

Anyone here installed a hard wire ems unit in a ML 1905? If so, can you tell me where the heck you got access to the right wire to hook it in?
jstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #2

Behind your converter
Old 09-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #3

Heh, I really don't know why that didn't occur to me. I think the videos I watched all showed getting access to the main line coming in via external compartments or underneath, so I never thought about trying to open the panel with the breakers and fuses and getting to it that way, but now that makes a ton of sense. I'll open it up when I get home and see if it still looks like something I can do. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
Old 09-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've been able to install them behind the panel by cutting the power cable and hooking up the EMS without the addition of any wire. If you do have to add wire, go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a section of 6/4 appliance wire. It will make your life easier!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

If anyone has/knows of a video or pictures on this, they would be most welcome!!
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:26 PM   #6

I'm going to be installing mine this afternoon, so I can try to take some pictures and post them tonight if you're interested. I pulled the panel out Tuesday night and found the wire (orange jacketed 10/2 with ground wire). There is a ton of space inside there, so my only concern is how little room there is to actually reach in to work. Should be doable, though. I'm also not sure yet where I'm going to put the remote monitor screen thingy. Should be fun to try to figure it all out.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #7

They will certainly be most welcome. Also, just to confirm, everyone is installing the Progressive Industries EMSHW30C Surge Protector right? I have it in my save for later list on Amazon and didn't want to buy until was absolutely sure. It doesn't say it but I assume (yeah I know what it means) that they all bring that remote monitor thing. Looking forward to your info jstill!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
They will certainly be most welcome. Also, just to confirm, everyone is installing the Progressive Industries EMSHW30C Surge Protector right? I have it in my save for later list on Amazon and didn't want to buy until was absolutely sure. It doesn't say it but I assume (yeah I know what it means) that they all bring that remote monitor thing. Looking forward to your info jstill!
There is a model with the remote readout and one without. The model without the remote, has a readout on the box itself. I have installed both models. I usually install the remote where it can be seen from the door, if possible.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #9

Yep, that's the one. I think the LCHW30 is the one without a remote. All the parts (including the remote) were actually packed inside the unit, except for the cable for the remote. Installation seems super simple (except for the aforementioned access constraints). There are some videos on their site on how to install it, just nothing specific to our particular setup. If you watch one of those, though, you'll know the basics, and thanks to this thread you know where to look for the wire. I'm probably skipping out of work soon to head home and work on it, should have some pics for you later this evening.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #10

Great! On the Amazon website they show like a phone cable so I'm guessing that if I order that model it will come with the remote screen which is something I definitely want. Look forward to your pics!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #11

As promised, here are pictures of the process.

https://goo.gl/photos/3haeTUL8n59PBtwv5

I'm using a Google photos album because it was easy to do from my phone here. If it sucks let me know and tomorrow I can do something else when I'm sitting at a computer. Most of the pics have a comment with a little extra info.

Installing it was not fun, and it was 100% due to the space and access constraints. Actually hooking up the EMS was a breeze, no complaints there. In hindsight (or foresight for you) I wish I had installed a junction box behind the panel (would have been easier to fit in towards the front of the space, where it was easier to work) and then sacrificed some space under the oven to install the actual EMS, running wires to it out of the junction. You might want to consider doing that. Also, I don't recommend installing it after work, the night before you're going to leave for a weekend camping trip, while your spouse is yelling for you to hurry up so you can come help give the kids baths and put them to bed. :P
Old 09-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #12

Can't get there on the iPad tonight. Will do on the computer tomorrow. Really appreciate it!
Old 09-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
Something to think about. If you are even considering upgrading your rv in the future. You might want to get the 50 amp unit. It will be completely compatible with your current 30 amp rv and you won't have to buy a second one when you upgrade.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #14

jstill:

Looked at your pics, and I expected to see your converter behind the breaker panel, but did not. Where is you converter located?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #15

Wow Jason! That is a tutorial and a MUST SEE for all 1905 owners that would ever contemplate this. Very well done and documented. Thank you very much!
Old 09-16-2016, 08:15 AM   #16

In the third picture, with the cover off the breaker box, I believe that thing in the bottom of the box is the converter. All you can really see is a heatsink and fan, but as soon as the EMS lets power through the fun starts running and the thing seems to hum slightly. That's the only thing I can think of that would be the converter, and my knowledge of these things is pretty limited (this is my first trailer, and I've only owned it for a week and half).
Old 09-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstill View Post
In the third picture, with the cover off the breaker box, I believe that thing in the bottom of the box is the converter. All you can really see is a heatsink and fan, but as soon as the EMS lets power through the fun starts running and the thing seems to hum slightly. That's the only thing I can think of that would be the converter, and my knowledge of these things is pretty limited (this is my first trailer, and I've only owned it for a week and half).
Thanks. I had thought they were larger than they are, and didn't realize some are essentially part of the panel. Found yours here:

WFCO Power Converter Main Board Assembly for WF-8935 - RVSupplies.com

Don't know what mine looks like, I've never dug into it.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote