Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Help With Puchase of Rockwood Mini Lite 2603

Looking at purchasing a mini lite 2603 or Flagstaff micro lite 23LB. Can any advise if the recent model Dinette actually can convert to a bed ? Also wondering if anyone can advise on the dry weight of some recent model purchases with the murphy bed option or regular queen bed option. Any overall comments on how happy anyone is with this unit ?
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #2

We have had our 23LB for a little over one year and still love the trailer.

Yes the dinette will go down as a bed but I think it would be only good for kids. The 23LB comes with two or three bunks. Most only have two bunks that I have seen.
Are we having fun yet??
tipakajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdchristensen View Post
Looking at purchasing a mini lite 2603 or Flagstaff micro lite 23LB. Can any advise if the recent model Dinette actually can convert to a bed ? Also wondering if anyone can advise on the dry weight of some recent model purchases with the murphy bed option or regular queen bed option. Any overall comments on how happy anyone is with this unit ?

I think you got the mini lite model # wrong, the sister to the 23lb is the 2306.

We have the 23lb and love it. We have the queen up front. Our yellow sticker weight is 3600 lbs. our model has the 2 bunks with nice storage underneath.

The third bunk is basically laying on the floor. It would be nice if one of my kids had a friend along but we use the dinette for that.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:05 AM   #4
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDad01 View Post
I think you got the mini lite model # wrong, the sister to the 23lb is the 2306.

We have the 23lb and love it. We have the queen up front. Our yellow sticker weight is 3600 lbs. our model has the 2 bunks with nice storage underneath.

The third bunk is basically laying on the floor. It would be nice if one of my kids had a friend along but we use the dinette for that.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

thanks for responding, as we have no local unit to look at and judge prior to ordering.

I am curious if anyone has a 23LB with the murphy bed option and how much extra weight that adds to the total unloaded vehicle weight. I am hoping to keep the unit to under 3800 lbs. Also is there some sort of curtain or screen to partition the master bed area from the main trailer area ?
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 10-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipakajohn View Post
We have had our 23LB for a little over one year and still love the trailer.

Yes the dinette will go down as a bed but I think it would be only good for kids. The 23LB comes with two or three bunks. Most only have two bunks that I have seen.
thanks for the reply.

By chance is yours the murphy bed option?
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 10-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #6

Our model (23LB) has the optional Murphy bed with two bunks in the back of the trailer. The third, or floor bunk, is replaced with a storage area that access to the outside. IMO the Murphy bed is the only way to go - it opens up a lot of space when stored plus adds a three person small couch. Yes, the Murphy bed area has a curtain to close around the bed when down.

Ours is listed at a dry weight of 3856 lbs and has a GVWR 4756 lbs.
Are we having fun yet??
tipakajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #7

We bought a 2014 2306 with the Murphy bed. Our dry weight on the sticker is 3843 and allows for additional cargo of 875 lbs. we tow it with a 2009 Ford Flex with a factory hitch rated for 4500 lbs. we have been all over upstate NY and Vermont on some 8% grades and it tows fine.

2014 Rockwood 2306
2009 Ford Flex
rpolikoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #8

We actually took down our curtain at the front bed as it just got in the way. We never used it.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #9

We have a 2014 2306 with the Murphy bed option. While you lose a little storage space with the Murphy bed it is the only way to go in our opinion. You can leave the bed made up so it only takes 20 seconds or less to fold up the sofa and fold down the bed. We removed the curtain also. The sofa is really comfortable and get compliments on the bed, sofa, and trailer in general, all the time. There is a lot of storage under the sofa and under the dinette seats too. The bunks are comfortable but the dinette when converted to a bed is more comfortable. It is for adults, no question or compromise. Many pick it over a bunk but both work great.

We have had ours for 2 camping seasons and in some respects we knew it would be a starter trailer for us and we would be ready for something bigger in a couple of years but we just like the feel of the 2306 so much it probably won't happen as quick as we thought it would. We got the cherry finish and it looks so classy inside. Lots of room with the Murphy bed up and that sofa is worth a million dollars. Friends have a slightly bigger fancier trailer with a slide out but in all it's glory it doesn't have a sofa and you have to sit at the dinette. If you have 3 or more people, one has to get out to let the middle person out. It's clumsy. Again, people we show it to are really impressed. The other thing we like is that we like to watch movies and with the addition of a larger TV and the fact that you can sit on the sofa and look straight ahead at the TV without turning your hard the whole time, it works really well.

We tow with a 2004 Cadillac Escalade with factory tow package. (same as a Suburban or Yukon) Great combo.

Any other questions, all will be glad to help.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #10

We have 2306. Not familiar w flagstaff but love rockwood ... Minor problems broken fw bracket,leaking water filter.....dealer no help even w extended warranty...
rrjdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrjdeck View Post
We have 2306. Not familiar w flagstaff but love rockwood ... Minor problems broken fw bracket,leaking water filter.....dealer no help even w extended warranty...
That brings up a good point. The dealer is as important as the manufacturer. What is your delaer situation and have you checked reviews on them?

BTW, the Flagstaff 23lb and the Rockwood 2306 are exactly the same trailer except for fabric options. They make them in the same place.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #12
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipakajohn View Post
Our model (23LB) has the optional Murphy bed with two bunks in the back of the trailer. The third, or floor bunk, is replaced with a storage area that access to the outside. IMO the Murphy bed is the only way to go - it opens up a lot of space when stored plus adds a three person small couch. Yes, the Murphy bed area has a curtain to close around the bed when down.

Ours is listed at a dry weight of 3856 lbs and has a GVWR 4756 lbs.

thanks for all the info. Not sure which unit we will get 23LB or the sister 2306 trailer for I think they are pretty much the same unit. I think for sure we will go with the Murphy bed option
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 10-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #13
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpolikoski View Post
We bought a 2014 2306 with the Murphy bed. Our dry weight on the sticker is 3843 and allows for additional cargo of 875 lbs. we tow it with a 2009 Ford Flex with a factory hitch rated for 4500 lbs. we have been all over upstate NY and Vermont on some 8% grades and it tows fine.

2014 Rockwood 2306
2009 Ford Flex
Good to know. We have a Chevy Traverse - 5200 pound tow capacity. However I do like to leave a bit of margin for passengers and cargo.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 10-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #14
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
We have a 2014 2306 with the Murphy bed option. While you lose a little storage space with the Murphy bed it is the only way to go in our opinion. You can leave the bed made up so it only takes 20 seconds or less to fold up the sofa and fold down the bed. We removed the curtain also. The sofa is really comfortable and get compliments on the bed, sofa, and trailer in general, all the time. There is a lot of storage under the sofa and under the dinette seats too. The bunks are comfortable but the dinette when converted to a bed is more comfortable. It is for adults, no question or compromise. Many pick it over a bunk but both work great.

We have had ours for 2 camping seasons and in some respects we knew it would be a starter trailer for us and we would be ready for something bigger in a couple of years but we just like the feel of the 2306 so much it probably won't happen as quick as we thought it would. We got the cherry finish and it looks so classy inside. Lots of room with the Murphy bed up and that sofa is worth a million dollars. Friends have a slightly bigger fancier trailer with a slide out but in all it's glory it doesn't have a sofa and you have to sit at the dinette. If you have 3 or more people, one has to get out to let the middle person out. It's clumsy. Again, people we show it to are really impressed. The other thing we like is that we like to watch movies and with the addition of a larger TV and the fact that you can sit on the sofa and look straight ahead at the TV without turning your hard the whole time, it works really well.

We tow with a 2004 Cadillac Escalade with factory tow package. (same as a Suburban or Yukon) Great combo.

Any other questions, all will be glad to help.

Wow. I think your reply sealed the deal. Definitely looks like this is the trailer we want. Cadillac Escalade is the "Cadillac" of tow vehicles. I think 8,000 lb tow capacity. Our little Chevy Traverse can haul only 5200 but I think we will be okay with this model of trailer. Thanks again.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 10-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #15

We love the RV. My wife and I have a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old and it suits us perfectly. We will occasionally bring our 2 dogs and they stay on the dinette, as it is a bit short. I am not sure there is a better unit for our needs. We have camped 20 nights since June 27th

2014 Rockwood 2306
2009 Ford Flex
rpolikoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #16

We just moved "down" from a 27 ft v front to 23fb and I couldn't be more pleased. With the Murphy bed there is more living space than the larger camper that we moved from. Tows like a dream. The dinette will fit an adult. I'm 6ft tall and can lie flat, although with not a ton of extra room but for a night or two it would be fine.
Joelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #17

We are 2014 2306 owners as well and we love it! Great designed campers. Everyone on here has been so helpful to answer many of our questions once we got ours. A few minor problems we have had- The wall behind thermostat gets quiet warm from the fridge and caused false readings of temp. 77 was really 72. Closed cell foam behind the thermostat fixed ours. Water filter is junk remove it. Don't crack an interior light cover while removing to clean. Impossible to find just a cover. Love the murphy bed just don't drop anything behind it when down. I have also rolled over sleeping and cracked my head on the night stand which is slightly higher than bed. Way more good than bad though. Big camper in little package and towable for our v8 4runner. Good luck with your decision
cohuttariverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #18

We had our 2014 Rockwood 2306 for two seasons and loved it. Murphy bed option is the only way to go. Such a great floor plan. Ours came in around 3900lbs, but we added the 15k A/C unit (overkill).
We towed with a Nissan Armada... 6500# tow capacity. Towed well. Not sure how well a Traverse would do, however. I had an external Tranny cooler and it still climbed on occasion... So just watch your temps.
The only negatives we had was the width of the bunks. Very tight. The other was the lack of a pass through in the front... But I hear some are coming with that feature now.
I upgraded my TV, so the wife wanted to do the same with our TT... So we upgraded at the Hershey RV show.
I really didn't want to trade... But a happy wife is a happy life.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Tags
2603, rockwood