Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #21
Site Team

This "discussion" lost me at 'dry docking (off the grid)'.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #22
Canadian Member

For me at least, conserving propane is not so much about saving money as it is about avoiding the hassle of removing and refilling the 30# tanks.

This was our first year with our new to us TT and we went through just a bit more than one 30# tank of propane using it for cooking, the WH, the fridge and the furnace. I leave the WH on overnight most of the time but I've experimented with turning it off. It didn't take long to re-heat the water in the morning - maybe 5 minutes.

We always have electric sites so most of our propane conservation comes from using shore power for the fridge and an electric ceramic heater rather than the furnace. The ceramic heater is quieter than the furnace, too.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #23
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
One trick we use when dry camping is to fill the tea kettle from the kitchen hat water faucet just before taking our showers, as that uses just enough of the water from the hot water line to bring hot water to the shower from the water heater, thus saving water.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #24

If your using gas and are camped near another rig be courteous and turn it off at night. Water heaters on propane are very noisy, more so for your neighbors than inside your rig.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:08 PM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
If your using gas and are camped near another rig be courteous and turn it off at night. Water heaters on propane are very noisy, more so for your neighbors than inside your rig.

No kidding on the noise- our neighbor in Colorado Springs had the noisiest water heater I've ever heard. And, with the way their camper was and the site layout (they had the campers back to back), it was right outside of our bedroom slide.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
$30 a tank? I live in Canada and we pay double for everything and I pay only $18 for 30 lbs at Costco. I would say you are getting a bad deal for propane.

I was excited to pay just $27 one time. I was so surprised, I had the guy double-check that he was charging me correctly. Other than that, it's been significantly more expensive.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
This "discussion" lost me at 'dry docking (off the grid)'.
Sorry there we dont call it boondocking in New Zealand we call it, Off The Grid, or Freedom Camping.
sgh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I guess I am stupid. First...what is dry camping? I will admit. I am spoiled. I want electric and water. I am also VERY conservative. I just assumed you should turn it off when not using it. I will tell you that we are different. That would be for a different topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Generally, on most RV forums I belong to:

Dry camping- camping in campground with no hookups(like 99% of California State Parks)

Boondocking- camping in areas with no developed campsites, such as US Forests, deserts, Walmart, rest stops, truck stops or BLM land.

Our WH is right next to our bed, so we turn it off at night, so we don't get woke up when it fires up.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgh77 View Post
We are dry docking (off the grid), does anyone know if it uses more gas to heat water from scratch or keep it hot all night.
Suburban Water Heater. 6 Gallon (22.6L)
Since you are dry camping possibly -- leaving it on uses a little more of your battery reserve ?

When dry camping I keep everything that I can in the off position.

MM
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgh77 View Post
Sorry there we dont call it boondocking in New Zealand we call it, Off The Grid, or Freedom Camping.
Oh, I wasn't referred to your terminology. I don't plan to camp off the grid on any continent! We love us some water and electricity hook-ups!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #31
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I was excited to pay just $27 one time. I was so surprised, I had the guy double-check that he was charging me correctly. Other than that, it's been significantly more expensive.
Yikes where you getting propane? I only pay about $13 for a 30 # tank. Prices have gone down sounds like a rip off. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #32
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Yikes where you getting propane? I only pay about $13 for a 30 # tank. Prices have gone down sounds like a rip off. Later RJD

Pretty well everywhere I've ever filled up- MD, VA, PA, and most recently in CO. CO was $30 and change.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Pretty well everywhere I've ever filled up- MD, VA, PA, and most recently in CO. CO was $30 and change.
We are close enough to a Costco outlet in SW Ontario to justify a membership and propane fill ups with our regular shopping trips. Their prices are by far the best, and their automotive gas is at least 4¢ / l cheaper than the competition and usually more. Back to the water heater- shut off or leave running? I found that the types which use a pilot light keep the water warm without noisy firing overnight. Now that we have electronic ignition, I know it fires at least twice overnight. It doesn't bother our neighbours, and I don't have to remember in the morning. I doubt that the cost difference whether a saving or added expense is enough to worry about. We use our unit on average 3 nights a week from early May to Mid Oct, and we have used one 30# tank, plus what was left in the other when we bought the unit this spring. Not too bad at all. We have an electric HW capability but our hydro is metered at our park, and I think propane is more economical at our rates.

Cheers.
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If it is still hot in the morning, why turn it off?
if still hot in the morning and it is off, then gas and/or electric has been saved -- not sure I understand your question --
for our 6 gallon suburban, it takes about 6 or 7 minutes to heat the water fully on gas, and it's then good for at least 8 - 9 hours of hot water after we've turned it off --
don1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
Good point, OC. A few people had mentioned doing it to save energy so I started doing so. I had been thinking that if its still hot in the am then why leave it on all night. When I do restart it in the morning it doesn't take long to shut back off.

My hot water heater is under bunk where my son sleeps so I turn it off at night. Paranoia....
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #36

We start heater just before showers otherwise it is off until full hot is only warm. It takes very little time to heat up for discontinuous usage. And yes showers could be discontinuous usage but I seldom dry camp and don't want any inheritance remaining. Seems like cost of warm showers are trifles at this age. In fact I don't remember them ever entering luxury class even when I enjoyed? tent camping.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #37

mountainmanbob,
How much electricity, 12 volt usage during boon docking/dry camping or off the grid camping, would one use to heat water with propane?
Except for the electronic spark for ignition what power is needed while heating on propane?
Talk about penny pinching.
Maybe RamblerGuy can give us the mathematical equation for that one?
This on or off heater discussion is like diesel vs gasser or Chevy vs Ford debate.
Really cracks me up.

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:48 PM   #38
RetiredRVer

I'm with LandJ on this topic......spending thousands on your rig, gas/diesel, insurance, camping fees etc, and some are concerned about a couple of dollars of propane. Doesn't make sense to me.....besides, the first time there is no hot water, the DW goes insane!
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #39
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I still fail to see the need to shut it off. With CRS, I'd forget to turn it back on and end up getting another tongue lashing.
We are evening shower people, particularly when camping. All we need hot water for in the morning is to do the dishes after breakfast and we find the water warm enough even if we forget to turn it on. Something about making coffee reminds me to turn the WH on.

So as Coot says, depends on how good your memory is.

The only other issue is does the WH wake you up in the middle of the night when it cycles?

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin the Life View Post
mountainmanbob,
How much electricity, 12 volt usage during boon docking/dry camping or off the grid camping, would one use to heat water with propane?
Except for the electronic spark for ignition what power is needed while heating on propane?
Talk about penny pinching.
Maybe RamblerGuy can give us the mathematical equation for that one?
This on or off heater discussion is like diesel vs gasser or Chevy vs Ford debate.
Really cracks me up.
Sorry, but I have no information on the 12 volt amps that the water heater uses. I'll measure it the next time I have our Sunseeker out of storage. I'm curious, too.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, water