Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 11:09 PM   #1

Hot water tank 8312

Hello all,

I have a few questions regarding the HW tank and its operations.

When I first hook to city water I am aware I don't need to engage the water pump but what do I have to turn on to know I'm drawing water into the tank.? When will I know it's full enough to turn electric switch on? Does it default to LPG first or electric ? I'm a little confused but new to this and don't want to damage the elements or the tank.

Thank You
Lookin2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:12 AM   #2

I open the pressure relief valve slightly. It releases trapped air if any and if water comes out of it l know it's full and ready to turn on. Only after this do I fire up the heater.

Don't forget to turn your electric switch to off at the heater when done if you turn it on. That way you can't accidentally turn it on before you have water in it next time out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:22 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

As chip said open pressure relief valve to fill tank, once full shut the valve.

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin2camp View Post
Hello all,

I have a few questions regarding the HW tank and its operations.

When I first hook to city water I am aware I don't need to engage the water pump but what do I have to turn on to know I'm drawing water into the tank.? When will I know it's full enough to turn electric switch on? Does it default to LPG first or electric ? I'm a little confused but new to this and don't want to damage the elements or the tank.

Thank You
Howdy and welcome to the forums. Not knowing your model RV personally, I don't actually know what brand water heater you have, as there are a couple that Forest River uses, and each is a little unique.

If you have the Suburban model, this FAQ may help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:14 AM   #5

Thanks for all the helpful responses. We have a nice day ahead of us today and I'm going to get into it today. I'll provide feedback such as make, model of HW. Thanks for the Tips too

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
Retired Member

I open faucets to get air out. I know pressure relief valve should be checked but if it doesn'the close properly better have a standby.
RMWSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwmiata View Post
I open faucets to get air out. I know pressure relief valve should be checked but if it doesn'the close properly better have a standby.

You should get in the habit of using your pressure relief valve, if you forget to un by pass your wh or one of the valves broke internally your tank won't fill but you'll still get water from the hot water side of the tap.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #8

Found a lot of helpful information and tips from you all. I'm having a hard time locating the cold hot and bypass Valves behind the tank. I can feel them just can't see all 3 .It's a small cabinet and space. Any other suggestions with that.? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1461004362.549135.jpg
Views:	112030
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	105321Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1461004377.482918.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	105322Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1461004450.424755.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	105323

Rockwood 8312ss diamond package TT

Old 04-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #9

I did turn the switch off on the tank outside, as the dealership left in the on position.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #10

I always turn the breaker off too just to make sure the switch doesn't get turned on without water. My last wh had a little cotter pin for that but my current one doesn't.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Found a lot of helpful information and tips from you all. I'm having a hard time locating the cold hot and bypass Valves behind the tank. I can feel them just can't see all 3 .It's a small cabinet and space. Any other suggestions with that.? Attachment 105321Attachment 105322Attachment 105323

Rockwood 8312ss diamond package TT

Don't have to see them. As with all standard valves of these types when the valve handle is perpendicular to the tube it is closed. When in line with the tube it is open. This can be verified by feel.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #12

I gotcha and understand positioning , but still a ridiculous set up , but thanks 🙄

Old 04-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
I did turn the switch off on the tank outside, as the dealership left in the on position.

Howdy again Lookin2camp, if you look at your switch panel, which I copied the pic of, you have an INSIDE switch for your electric heating element (second switch, top row). The means you have a Suburban SW?DEL model. You can control the electric heating element from this inside switch as long as the outside switch is in the on position. It will not work if you switch the outside secondary switch off, like you just posted you did above.

The Suburban SW?DE models do not have an inside switch like yours does, and the only way to turn the electric heating element on/off is with the outside switch. However you have the SW?DEL model which does have both switches for the electric heating element. Consider yourself lucky, as you have the DEL model and will not have to turn yours on/off outside......as long as you leave the outside switch in the ON position like the dealer had it for you. You can turn your electric heating element on/off with the inside switch on your panel.

In the FAQ link, I originally posted in my first post here, I briefly explain the SW?DEL model you have with your RV's inside switch, with the pertinent part in red below. which I am excerpting below:

Operating on 120 volt electricity

Now for the 120 volt electric option. Some trailers/coaches MAY have another inside switch to turn the electric heating element on, which this element is located inside the water heater. This element works only off of 120 volt AC power, and you must be plugged into some form of 120 volt power for this heating element to work.

Hope this helps, and am so glad you posted that pic of your panel. Since the SWDEL model is becoming more common, I should clarify it more in the FAQ.

Not to get off topic too much, but to help you some more if your RV is set up like many others, do you see that second from right switch on your bottom row called "entry light"? Did you dealer explain that one to you, that if you actually turn that light off at the light fixture itself (if equipped on your RV), then that switch does not do anything. You want to leave your entry light on at the fixture, but turn it off using the panel switch when walking out the door. That way if you come home after dark, you don't have to feel for the light fixture, but just turn it on at the panel with that switch as you step in.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #14

Ok cool I was getting to that as well. I turned it off because I am plugged in at home and was afraid of an accidental turn on from inside with no water in the tank by kids or a new camper LOL. I'll remember to switch the on position and leave it there once I de-winterize and fill the tank. But thanks for looking out !

Old 04-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #15

I appreciate your knowledge and getting me setup! Thanks

Tags
hot water, tank, water, water tank