Old 10-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Sure can't !!!
I tried screwing a garden hose to mine,,, not quite that right size !!!
Nope, hose is wrong size. You could buy a plug but it really isn't necessary. If you use a plug just screw it in hand tight.

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:16 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
It is a 2 valve system and I just did mine. Just reverse the valves. If the check valve should fail, any thing is possible, when you pull the anode to drain the tank your water will keep running.

Just don't do what I just did. I pulled the anode then while sitting in front of the heater I lifted the safety to drain the tank quicker. The water came out like from the end of a water hose! It did drain the tank quicker though, but I got soaked! Make sure you are off to the side when you lift the safety.

Jim
Or turn the pump off and open a Hot faucet to relive the pressure !!!

Old 10-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Or turn the pump off and open a Hot faucet to relive the pressure !!!
If you had already bypassed the water heater shutting off the pump or opening a faucet won't do anything to help drain the hw heaters tank.

If you have not switched the valves it would help but you are going to be draining the water lines also. Why do that?

Jim
Old 10-23-2015, 06:40 AM   #34

Do not think it is a good idea to remove Anode Rod while sys is under pressure !!!
Old 10-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Do not think it is a good idea to remove Anode Rod while sys is under pressure !!!
Even after switching the bypass valves, and shutting the pump off if that makes you feel better, the hw heater tank will still have some pressure in it.

I guess if you shut off the pump and opened up a hot water faucet this would remove any pressure, then you could switch the valves and drain the tank.

I like to have some pressure so the water MIGHT help remove any crap that is laying in the bottom of the tank. Does it really help? I have no way of knowing for sure but don't see how it can hurt. Just don't be stupid like me and sit right in front of it when you are draining the tank, LOL! I won't do that again.

Jim
Old 10-24-2015, 08:27 AM   #36

After blowing ours out the other day,,, I found 2 or 3 inches of some pretty scummy stuff the filter canister ???
Old 10-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Even after switching the bypass valves, and shutting the pump off if that makes you feel better, the hw heater tank will still have some pressure in it.

I guess if you shut off the pump and opened up a hot water faucet this would remove any pressure, then you could switch the valves and drain the tank.

I like to have some pressure so the water MIGHT help remove any crap that is laying in the bottom of the tank. Does it really help? I have no way of knowing for sure but don't see how it can hurt. Just don't be stupid like me and sit right in front of it when you are draining the tank, LOL! I won't do that again.

Jim
I have been using a pic of rain gutter,,, to director as much water away from the MH as I can,,, every since I found the compartment below was getting wet inside !!!
Old 10-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #38

Quote:
After blowing ours out the other day,,, I found 2 or 3 inches of some pretty scummy stuff the filter canister ???
That (Stuff) had to be from the Incoming water supply if it was In the Canister! Sounds like you were in some Bad areas? Youroo!!
Old 10-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #39

I am guessing it may have came from the City Water Hookup ???
We have never used that for h2o,,, only to blow out the system !!!
Old 10-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #40

Quote:
That is a lot of crap! Did you check your water filter? Is this the first time you have winterized this unit?

I am on my fifth unit, two of the 5ers. All of them have been used and I have had no problems like that. Maybe I should shut up, I may be pushing my luck!

It sounds like your filter may have fell apart. If not your maybe one in the past.

Jim

Tags
hot water, tank, water, water tank