Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2015, 08:17 AM   #1

Hot Water tank by pass

When winterizing, after running the antifreeze through the system can you put the hot water tank by pass taps back to operational. REASON: After long winter filling aging mind with mult tasks, have been known to forget to turn the taps back to operational. Just thought if I could do it now, it would be one less thing to think about in the spring.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #2

I put a note next to sink for spring as I have the same mind. Big bold letters Put filter back in and adjust hot water tank taps.
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:27 AM   #3

You might not want to do that step. The reason being some, if not most of the antifreeze, upstream of the HW tank, will end up in the tank when you charge the system. And, those first couple cups of coffee will have a certain "twang" to them. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
When winterizing, after running the antifreeze through the system can you put the hot water tank by pass taps back to operational. REASON: After long winter filling aging mind with mult tasks, have been known to forget to turn the taps back to operational. Just thought if I could do it now, it would be one less thing to think about in the spring.
I wouldn't do that either.
Any antifreeze in the lines from the pump to the water tank is going to end up inside the tank when you first hook up to flush in the spring.

I always leave mine closed until after I flush in the spring.
It's just part of the dewinterizing process in the spring as bypassing is in the fall.

I've seen a tag, bread wrappered to the kitchen faucet as a good reminder.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #5

I always turn my valves back to the operation position. We don't use the water for coffee or drinking. Bottled water only. Had a few bad experiences over the years with tank water and campground water. Another reason is I roll to Florida a couple times in the Winter and when it's time to roll I don't have times to mess with the valves. To many other things to remember.
#1-18' Nomad #2- 20' Mallard #3- 27' Sunline #4- Four Winds C #5- Innsbruck 40' PARK # 6- 28' Amerilite #7- Forest River 26.5 FW ( 1st FW)
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #6

I think the single most important thing when winterizing your camper is to bypass the HW tank. Likewise, the single most important thing when summerizing it is to turn the bypass valves back to normal. If you forget that, it would concern me that you may just travel down the road forgetting about hooking your camper to the hitch. WOW
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #7

Hot water heater bypass

Can anyone tell me which position the bypass valve needs to be in when I pump the antifreeze thru the lines. Don't want it in the hot water heater.
msrafd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrafd View Post
Can anyone tell me which position the bypass valve needs to be in when I pump the antifreeze thru the lines. Don't want it in the hot water heater.
Turn the valves 90 degrees from the current position.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #9

Thank you.
msrafd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrafd View Post
Explained well here
RV Water Heater Bypass Systems
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #11

i made a hang tag to hang on the drawer next to the access panel to the water pump

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #12

To get to the valves in mine I need to remove a small panel, I just leave that off till I get ready to use the lite.

Switch the valves, reinstall panel, tighten the drain plug for the water heater and fill the pipes and tank.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #13

I do not use the by-pass. o get to it you have to take out the Cook stove/oven or take off a panel move two heat ducts then crawl inside the cabinet while laying in the floor. I blow out the lines same as did in the MH we had before the TT, that had no by-pass and no low point drains.
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #14

Good question! Now I need to write a note for myself as a reminder!
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #15

Anti Freeze bypass

Hi Guys

Thx for all the replies. I did this for a friend who I know will forget he turned these taps in the fall. I thought, once we had the unit winterized, I could slip the taps back into the operational position and "Bobs yer uncle". Even tho I know no harm is done, I am going to go back and turn the taps into the bypass position and hope to God I am around in the spring to remind my aging friend. You are all my heroes to take the time to comment on this innocuous issue. Love this forum.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #16
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I wouldn't do that either.
Any antifreeze in the lines from the pump to the water tank is going to end up inside the tank when you first hook up to flush in the spring.

I always leave mine closed until after I flush in the spring.
It's just part of the dewinterizing process in the spring as bypassing is in the fall.

I've seen a tag, bread wrappered to the kitchen faucet as a good reminder.
X 2 Of course i get plenty of practice as I usually do mine twice a year. Late camping or early Feb camping Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
OK - Here's one for everyone. I'm about to winterize my trailer- the 6th one we've owned, and the by-pass setup is one I've never seen before. The feed comes into the water heater at the bottom, at a T fitting which has a valve in it. The cross bar of the T carries on to feed what must be the cold side for the rest of the trailer, and the leg, or stem of the T goes up to the Hot side, to another T, which must feed the hot side, but which has no valve. I assume the bottom valve is routing the cold into the water heater and blocking the tube going to the Hot (exit) side of the water heater. If I turn the valve in the feed, at the bottom, logic says I must be changing the flow to go up toward the Hot side. So what is stopping the AF from going into the WH?. Is the Hot side fitted with an anti back flow device? All my other bypass systems had the lines in an H pattern, with 3 valves and I understood that and had no problem with it. Anyone have an idea? The trailer is a 2003 Cougar 27.8 fifth wheel.
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by amblt View Post
OK - Here's one for everyone. I'm about to winterize my trailer- the 6th one we've owned, and the by-pass setup is one I've never seen before. The feed comes into the water heater at the bottom, at a T fitting which has a valve in it. The cross bar of the T carries on to feed what must be the cold side for the rest of the trailer, and the leg, or stem of the T goes up to the Hot side, to another T, which must feed the hot side, but which has no valve. I assume the bottom valve is routing the cold into the water heater and blocking the tube going to the Hot (exit) side of the water heater. If I turn the valve in the feed, at the bottom, logic says I must be changing the flow to go up toward the Hot side. So what is stopping the AF from going into the WH?. Is the Hot side fitted with an anti back flow device? All my other bypass systems had the lines in an H pattern, with 3 valves and I understood that and had no problem with it. Anyone have an idea? The trailer is a 2003 Cougar 27.8 fifth wheel.
Had one rig that was built as you describe. Worked well until the back flow valve got stuck "open". Probably due to cacium deposits. When that happened, I replaced the back flow with a regular shut off valve. Just another surprise you will find if you own several rigs in your camping days.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
To get to the valves in mine I need to remove a small panel, I just leave that off till I get ready to use the lite.

Switch the valves, reinstall panel, tighten the drain plug for the water heater and fill the pipes and tank.
Great Idea leaving the panel off !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Great Idea leaving the panel off !!!
I do better with a visual reminder, sometimes I forget where my note book is....

Tags
hot water, tank, water, water tank