Old 02-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
City-stow-a-bike

I have a short bed f-150 and a ROCKWOOD 5TH wheel 8285WS. The bumper on the 5 TH wheel is too light weight to carry bicycles. The TV bed is too small for bicycles. So I opted to purchase 20"wheel, folding bike, six speed, comes with a rack on the rear for storage of small items (6 PK beer or news paper). Hand brakes for front and rear. Folds in the middle with a hinge, folding peddles, removable Handel bars.

Can be purchased on AMAZON. COM for around $159.95 shipped to your address.

It folds, stores in the pass through storage compartment. Takes up very little space.

I was surprised when we were at the "LAID BACK & RELAX RALLY" in Florida how many people had similar bicycles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STOW A BIKE 002.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	24777   Click image for larger version

Name:	STOW A BIKE 004.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	24778  

TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #12

DW got us two folding bikes last year to use when we had our Pop Up. They were purchased from Camping World. We did fold them up and put them in back of our Dodge Caravan when towing our PUP. Now, just fold them up and put them in the back of the truck. We used them well last September when we went to Tybee Island, GA. I put baskets on the front bars so we can carry our things to the beach, etc. We could put them inside if needed, but just easier in the back of the truck.

Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm building a pin box bike rack to carry what I'm hoping will be 4 bikes. I'm still in design right now, and since my truck topper is still on I can't get accurate measurements for cab clearance. I may have to re-engineer the bike rack to mount the front bike with the front wheel off to squeeze it toward center for more clearance. As a last resort, I can remove the front mounts altogether and should have plenty of clearance. Thanks to Golfmedik, he does a 3 bike rack on a short bed, I have a long bed. Will be posting pics as I go, right now it's just a pile of steel.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #14

I b uilt a front mount carrier for my travel trailer and it worked very well but plan to use the sidewinder pinbox so the fw will turn right into the bikes so that won,t work for me ~
Old 03-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #15

I had my dealer weld a 2" receiver hitch to the frame of my 8281SS. This allows me to use a standard bike rack--I am using the "hanging" kind of rack--mine has room for 5 bikes. But---I have DW and 2 DDs with "girls" bikes. I do not trust the bars you can buy to hang a ladies bike on these types of racks, so I installed a set of Yakima Raptor racks on the roof of my crew cap P/U. The ladies' bikes go up there and the 2 guys' bikes go on the rear hanging rack. The roof rack has built-in locks and I use a standard bike cable lock for the guys' bikes.

I have traveled thousands of miles with no problems. I had the same arrangement on the rear frame of the hybrid TT I owned before the fiver.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnclays View Post
I do not trust the bars you can buy to hang a ladies bike on these types of racks, so I installed a set of Yakima Raptor racks on the roof of my crew cap P/U. The ladies' bikes go up there and the 2 guys' bikes go on the rear hanging rack. The roof rack has built-in locks and I use a standard bike cable lock for the guys' bikes.

I have traveled thousands of miles with no problems. I had the same arrangement on the rear frame of the hybrid TT I owned before the fiver.
We have hauled my DWs hybrid bike (sort of heavy) on a standard rack mounted in a 2" reciever welded to the frame and rear bumper of our prior TT for way over 15,000 miles using the removable bar. Never a problem except they get dirty back there after a while.

Now looking at options for carring the on the MH.