Old 04-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #11

I have a 2006 8314 and i had to change out an axle because of a bearing failure in 2009. I have posted a pic of the axle i had to replace.
The pic that you are looking at was taken while i was laying on my back looking up. There are only two bolts that hold one axle each in place and they are located on the back side of the flang mount, it's hard to believe but this is the way it is design.
I had made a phone call to Forest River and Alco axle company about the way they were installed and both said it was correct, one bolt on each

Now the other reason i had called Alco is because i had another issue with the new axle, if you look at where the hole is located you will notice that the flang that is welded to the axle dose not set flush to the bottom of the frame but the other side dose ( that pic is not shown) they welded the two flanges out of square from each other so only one side is flush and this side is not, i was told by Alco's Engineer that it was ok, just make sure that when i install the axle to make sure the axle is pushed to the back as far as i can get it.

I email Alco pic of my issues with the axle and it toke two days for them to get back to me on how to handle this, so far i have not had any problems with this and it has been two years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt hole in axle.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	5269  

Old 04-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #12

"they welded the two flanges out of square from each other so only one side is flush"
=============================
Gawd, how pathetic is that!
I took another look at my camper, and it appears that when it left the factory, the axle flanges were all tight up against the frame.
Daisy said that FR said the axles had to be re-aligned, but the existing bolts don't have anything to do with alignment. The slotted holes in the mounting flanges only regulate how high /low the tires run. So I am waiting with interest to see what the alignment shop has to say. Something isn't adding up here.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"they welded the two flanges out of square from each other so only one side is flush"
=============================
Gawd, how pathetic is that!
I took another look at my camper, and it appears that when it left the factory, the axle flanges were all tight up against the frame.
Daisy said that FR said the axles had to be re-aligned, but the existing bolts don't have anything to do with alignment. The slotted holes in the mounting flanges only regulate how high /low the tires run. So I am waiting with interest to see what the alignment shop has to say. Something isn't adding up here.
crocus, the info that i received from Alco is that both sets of axles when installed have to be pushed back as far as they can go to keep the axles square to the camper and to keep the axles from slipping out of position, if the axles were bolted more to the front of the camper and you hit a curb this could cause one or both axles to slip to the rear of the camper on one side and that would knox the axles out of alignment. They said that the slottes are for alignment, they never said anything about how high or low the tires run......You are right this is all pathetic.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #14

The slots on mine run up and down, and there is no adjustment front to back!
AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! !!!
Old 04-13-2011, 05:35 AM   #15

Sorry, i was not aware that the 5th wheels were different, thanks for bring it to my attention.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #16

rockwood, you certainly have nothing to be sorry about, as you didn't design the crazy axle mounts on my camper!