Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Grumpy Old Member

How much water do you travel with?

A simple question?

While I try my very best to have my grey and black tanks empty, I'm thinking that at least a 1/3 of a tank of water might not hurt if I'm unsure of availability at my destination.

What do you do?

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2010 Dodge RAM 1500
Reese Dual Cam WDH
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #2

Our tanks are never empty, except in winter storage. We always have a few gallons in the Black and Grey tanks with the appropriate chemicals and or RV Digest. The movement during travel helps to clean them out. As for portable water if we are unsure of the availability of water I keep about a 1/2 tank, but this is very limited to when we are stooping a midpoints in transit.

BTW, I actually will dump a bag of ice into the black tanks once or twice a year before hitting the road it seems to help keep the tank walls clean as well.

2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #3

Fresh water = NONE. it only adds weight and uses more fuel to tow.
We only keep enough water in the black and gray tank to keep the RV Digest-it chemicals working.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
camping

I fill the water tank (+/- 40 gallons) with soft water from our house. I will put 4 gallons in the black tank along with the chemicals.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #5

Winter none. Summer few gallons in the grey and black tank w/ chemicals. Fresh tank none to full. I'll travel with full tank if going to a nearby camp without hookups. If it was a distance I'd probably ditch the fresh water. But in the scheme of things and my rig - 300#'s of water isn't a biggie.

My understanding is you shouldn't let your grey or black (especially) tank sit dry as any incidental remaining solids will get very solid. Leading to problems later...
Old 06-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #6

Winter - none - use compressed air to blow out all the lines very carefully (it gets minus 40 here)

From freezing temp on up we travel with the fresh water full. Our house water is good tasting and frankly many of the campgrounds have weird water. I also bring along two three gallon jugs of distilled water / drinking water.

Last weekend our Thus - Sun trip, we used up all the fresh water and that was with no showers. Dishes were responsible for most of it.

I needed to fill dishpans with campground water (which was orange) for pre-washing, washing, and just our water for rinising. We also had lots of mud - hands feet & faces.

I know that more weight equals poorer gas mileage, but I'm wondering if there is a formula rather than some trial and error? Has anyone done a comparison? How much worse is it?

We empty the grey and black tanks when we leave a campground, but they get used on the way home so they aren't empty. We don't use the nasty chemicals - instead I use the liquid Calgon and every so often rinse the tanks (empty, fill with water, empty). We have no problems with smell.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #7

I boondock quite a bit in the spring and fall hunting, when I do I fill the water tank as well as carry additional water in coolers and have not seen any difference in the gas (diesel) mileage I get, in addition I carry another 150lbs or so in generators.
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #8

I find it funny people stress about MPG when hauling water... I'm only getting 8-10 mpg as it is, a change of .2 MPG isn't going to break me. Besides if I bring two buddies in the truck (300-400#), I wouldn't hit them up for extra gas money cause of the additional weight.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #9

I travel with 2 children and 2 dogs. One of the reasons we bought a camper was to use the bathroom while on the road. I have stopped at too many rest areas, gas stations, etc that I refused to use because they were filthy.

Long story short, forget the gas mileage and go with full water Then again, I am towing a microlite anyway
Nights camped in 2011 = 17
Nights camped in 2012 = 4, 10 more planned
Endersbrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianb View Post
I find it funny people stress about MPG when hauling water... I'm only getting 8-10 mpg as it is, a change of .2 MPG isn't going to break me. Besides if I bring two buddies in the truck (300-400#), I wouldn't hit them up for extra gas money cause of the additional weight.
x2
I go to the campground with a full water tank and leave with about 5 gallons in it in case we need to use the toilet and my mileage stays the same

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote