Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 06:24 AM   #1

How to Dewinterize

So, we took ownership of our 2018 Rockwood trailer back in February. We now need to dewinterize it. The only thing that has me scared is the hot water section as I do not want to damage anything. I have a pic but have no idea if everything is in the right position to start the process.

Tlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #2

If it was properly winterized the water heater should be empty. The hex plug at the bottom is the drain. When you remove that it might have a long coroded looking rod inside. It's an anode that keeps the heater from coroding. You can buy new ones at about any rv store.
klickitatjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by klickitatjim View Post
If it was properly winterized the water heater should be empty. The hex plug at the bottom is the drain. When you remove that it might have a long coroded looking rod inside. It's an anode that keeps the heater from coroding. You can buy new ones at about any rv store.
We purchased directly brand new and came straight from factory to dealer. So I leave everything as is to dewinterize?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:46 AM   #4

You need to check the backside of the water heater to make sure the valves are lined up properly to allow it to fill with water. Also, you need to check the line on the inlet to the water pump to make sure it’s aligned to draw from the water tank and not from the winterizing inlet. And lastly, make sure the drain on the bottom of the water tank is closed.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #5

Behind the water heater, there will be shut off valves that allow water to bypass it. It's probably in bypass mode now. You need to turn those so that water flows into the water heater, out of the water heater and no longer bypasses the water heater. They're likely behind a panel just behind the water heater.

Don't forget this step, as well as draining the water heater prior to winterizing in the late fall.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #6
WFD

There are numerous You tube videos you can also watch to get the general idea. While there are many different setups with various trailer manufacturers, most trailers have setups quite similar to whats in these videos. As was mentioned earlier, you are likely still in bypass mode as that trailer likely left the dealer winterized.
Very important to make sure your hot water tank is no longer bypassed and full of water before you turn the heater on. Once bypass is turned and your tank is allowed to fill you will hear the water going into it from the outside for approximately a minute or so till it is full.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #7

Stop the Music! If properly Winterized they used Pink AFreeze,this Must be Purged from the system "FIRST"! The water filter case should be removed and drained then put back on,now make sure the Water Heater Valves are still in Bypass! Now put some water in your FW Tank and make sure the Winterizing valve is turned for Fresh Tank,now Open the LP Drains! Turn on pump and flush out PINK!Turn OFF Pump, Now put LP Drain caps back On and turn Pump back ON! Now Open ALL water Outlets 1 at a Time until there is NO Pink Toilet also! Now you can Turn the WH valves to Fill the WH,this will take a while! Open a HOT water faucet to let Air escape,when smooth water flow happens turn off faucet! Now turn Off Pump and Open a Faucet to relieve pressure and remove filter canister "Again" and install element! You can now turn on your WH! Leave pump off and hook to City Water! Youroo!! PS the OP lives in PENN so PINK was most likely used!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:21 AM   #8

if brand new there is no telling how the valves are set. also, it may not need to be dewinterized at all. there may not be any water in it. but the picture of the water heater looks like it has some rust on it so who knows. I wouldn't worry to much about the water heater valves. hook up the hose and get water flowing in. it will either go directly to the plumbing lines or to the freshwater tank. i'd put some water in the tank and flush out all the lines using the pump, even the hot ones. by doin this you will confirm that the pump input valve is set to the tank and not the antifreeze input port. if the water heater is set to bypass mode you will still flush the hot lines but not fill the heater. if not in bypass mode you will just fill the hot water tank before the water makes it to the hot lines. you really can't go wrong. you can pop the pressure relief valve on the water heater to confirm that the hot water tank valves are set to fill the tank. there are many combinations of bypass valves (2 valves, three valves, check valves, 2 way valves, three way valves) so it is hard to describe exactly how yours need to be set.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
if brand new there is no telling how the valves are set. also, it may not need to be dewinterized at all. there may not be any water in it. but the picture of the water heater looks like it has some rust on it so who knows. I wouldn't worry to much about the water heater valves. hook up the hose and get water flowing in. it will either go directly to the plumbing lines or to the freshwater tank. i'd put some water in the tank and flush out all the lines using the pump, even the hot ones. by doin this you will confirm that the pump input valve is set to the tank and not the antifreeze input port. if the water heater is set to bypass mode you will still flush the hot lines but not fill the heater. if not in bypass mode you will just fill the hot water tank before the water makes it to the hot lines. you really can't go wrong. you can pop the pressure relief valve on the water heater to confirm that the hot water tank valves are set to fill the tank. there are many combinations of bypass valves (2 valves, three valves, check valves, 2 way valves, three way valves) so it is hard to describe exactly how yours need to be set.
They did tell us when purchased that it was already winterized.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlynn View Post
We purchased directly brand new and came straight from factory to dealer. So I leave everything as is to dewinterize?
We purchased ours new from the factory and took possession over the winter 2017. It came winterized from the factory. If you took possession in February, it should have been winterized.

My unit had a sticker on it that said it was winterized.

Good Luck... Have Fun!
Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
We purchased ours new from the factory and took possession over the winter 2017. It came winterized from the factory. If you took possession in February, it should have been winterized.

Good Luck... Have Fun!
Ron
Have fun, I'm scared to death as I don't want to mess up the hot water heater. This is our first time doing any of this so I'm kinda clueless :-(
Old 05-21-2018, 07:52 AM   #12

you're not going to damage the hot water heater! most likely the bypass valves are set to bypass the hot water heater, but no guarantee. just leave them. open the pressure relief valve on the water heater. hook up city water and flush the antifreeze out of the plumbing lines. if by chance you get water into the hot water heater while doing this you can always remove the water heater drain to drain it. do the anti freeze flushing first them after that is done switch the bypass valves and fill the water tank. if something does not go as intended you can always drain and start over. you may need to open the low point drains to get some antifreeze out and check the fresh water tank drain to ensure it is closed. give your self some time, don't rush, and you will be just fine!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Have fun, I'm scared to death as I don't want to mess up the hot water heater. This is our first time doing any of this so I'm kinda clueless :-(
Not let your heart be troubled. We were all there. You Tube is your friend.

Check out this link. Start it at the 2:13 mark. There are a dozen other examples on you tube as well.

You will be just fine!
Ron
Old 05-21-2018, 08:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Not let your heart be troubled. We were all there. You Tube is your friend.

Check out this link. Start it at the 2:13 mark. There are a dozen other examples on you tube as well.

You will be just fine!
Ron
Awesome video, thank you everyone for your help!!!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #15

Just as info, when we bought ours last year they had winterized but not bypassed the hot water heater.

The only thing it did was corrode the anode pretty bad.

Just flushed things well and put new anode in - all good.

Lots to learn so just take your time and as you’ve seen in here lots of info and help available.

We’ve all been there. [emoji3]
Old 05-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:

Good Luck... Have Fun!
Ron
The big question is how was it winterized? Only air, air and anti-freeze or only anti-freeze?

The first thing I would do is open a faucet. Any faucet and see what, if anything, comes out.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #17

Only air??? No with pink stuff. They had to test all the plumbing which left water behind. There was pink fluid in every drain and toilet.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Just as info, when we bought ours last year they had winterized but not bypassed the hot water heater.

The only thing it did was corrode the anode pretty bad.

Just flushed things well and put new anode in - all good.

Lots to learn so just take your time and as you’ve seen in here lots of info and help available.

We’ve all been there. [emoji3]

So what needs done if they did not bypass it correctly?
Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
So what needs done if they did not bypass it correctly?
Technically nothing. The worst you may have is some AF in your water heater.

1) have you opened a faucet yet to see what is in your pipes?

2) have you located your bypass valves behind the heater yet?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Technically nothing. The worst you may have is some AF in your water heater.

1) have you opened a faucet yet to see what is in your pipes?

2) have you located your bypass valves behind the heater yet?
I will open the facet when I get home and see what happens. I know they at least stated they used RV Antifreeze. I believe the valves are behind a little thin door when I first walk in on the left. It's a panel of some sort so I'm pretty sure that is where it's located.

Tags
winter, winterize