Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2018, 06:24 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 46
How to Dewinterize

So, we took ownership of our 2018 Rockwood trailer back in February. We now need to dewinterize it. The only thing that has me scared is the hot water section as I do not want to damage anything. I have a pic but have no idea if everything is in the right position to start the process.


__________________

Tlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
klickitatjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 126
If it was properly winterized the water heater should be empty. The hex plug at the bottom is the drain. When you remove that it might have a long coroded looking rod inside. It's an anode that keeps the heater from coroding. You can buy new ones at about any rv store.
__________________

klickitatjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by klickitatjim View Post
If it was properly winterized the water heater should be empty. The hex plug at the bottom is the drain. When you remove that it might have a long coroded looking rod inside. It's an anode that keeps the heater from coroding. You can buy new ones at about any rv store.
We purchased directly brand new and came straight from factory to dealer. So I leave everything as is to dewinterize?
Tlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:46 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
marinerjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 304
You need to check the backside of the water heater to make sure the valves are lined up properly to allow it to fill with water. Also, you need to check the line on the inlet to the water pump to make sure itís aligned to draw from the water tank and not from the winterizing inlet. And lastly, make sure the drain on the bottom of the water tank is closed.
__________________
Joe
Current: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 70
Behind the water heater, there will be shut off valves that allow water to bypass it. It's probably in bypass mode now. You need to turn those so that water flows into the water heater, out of the water heater and no longer bypasses the water heater. They're likely behind a panel just behind the water heater.

Don't forget this step, as well as draining the water heater prior to winterizing in the late fall.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #6
WFD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,678
There are numerous You tube videos you can also watch to get the general idea. While there are many different setups with various trailer manufacturers, most trailers have setups quite similar to whats in these videos. As was mentioned earlier, you are likely still in bypass mode as that trailer likely left the dealer winterized.
Very important to make sure your hot water tank is no longer bypassed and full of water before you turn the heater on. Once bypass is turned and your tank is allowed to fill you will hear the water going into it from the outside for approximately a minute or so till it is full.
__________________
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
2016 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 13,445
Stop the Music! If properly Winterized they used Pink AFreeze,this Must be Purged from the system "FIRST"! The water filter case should be removed and drained then put back on,now make sure the Water Heater Valves are still in Bypass! Now put some water in your FW Tank and make sure the Winterizing valve is turned for Fresh Tank,now Open the LP Drains! Turn on pump and flush out PINK!Turn OFF Pump, Now put LP Drain caps back On and turn Pump back ON! Now Open ALL water Outlets 1 at a Time until there is NO Pink Toilet also! Now you can Turn the WH valves to Fill the WH,this will take a while! Open a HOT water faucet to let Air escape,when smooth water flow happens turn off faucet! Now turn Off Pump and Open a Faucet to relieve pressure and remove filter canister "Again" and install element! You can now turn on your WH! Leave pump off and hook to City Water! Youroo!! PS the OP lives in PENN so PINK was most likely used!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:21 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: payson, az
Posts: 1,219
if brand new there is no telling how the valves are set. also, it may not need to be dewinterized at all. there may not be any water in it. but the picture of the water heater looks like it has some rust on it so who knows. I wouldn't worry to much about the water heater valves. hook up the hose and get water flowing in. it will either go directly to the plumbing lines or to the freshwater tank. i'd put some water in the tank and flush out all the lines using the pump, even the hot ones. by doin this you will confirm that the pump input valve is set to the tank and not the antifreeze input port. if the water heater is set to bypass mode you will still flush the hot lines but not fill the heater. if not in bypass mode you will just fill the hot water tank before the water makes it to the hot lines. you really can't go wrong. you can pop the pressure relief valve on the water heater to confirm that the hot water tank valves are set to fill the tank. there are many combinations of bypass valves (2 valves, three valves, check valves, 2 way valves, three way valves) so it is hard to describe exactly how yours need to be set.
__________________
2015 cardinal model 3825fl
2015 dodge ram 3500 dually
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
if brand new there is no telling how the valves are set. also, it may not need to be dewinterized at all. there may not be any water in it. but the picture of the water heater looks like it has some rust on it so who knows. I wouldn't worry to much about the water heater valves. hook up the hose and get water flowing in. it will either go directly to the plumbing lines or to the freshwater tank. i'd put some water in the tank and flush out all the lines using the pump, even the hot ones. by doin this you will confirm that the pump input valve is set to the tank and not the antifreeze input port. if the water heater is set to bypass mode you will still flush the hot lines but not fill the heater. if not in bypass mode you will just fill the hot water tank before the water makes it to the hot lines. you really can't go wrong. you can pop the pressure relief valve on the water heater to confirm that the hot water tank valves are set to fill the tank. there are many combinations of bypass valves (2 valves, three valves, check valves, 2 way valves, three way valves) so it is hard to describe exactly how yours need to be set.
They did tell us when purchased that it was already winterized.
Tlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ron045's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlynn View Post
We purchased directly brand new and came straight from factory to dealer. So I leave everything as is to dewinterize?
We purchased ours new from the factory and took possession over the winter 2017. It came winterized from the factory. If you took possession in February, it should have been winterized.

My unit had a sticker on it that said it was winterized.

Good Luck... Have Fun!
Ron
__________________

__________________
Ron & Family
Sophomore Season (We're gonna color some states this year)
2017-23 Nights, 2018-28 Nights
2017 Shamrock 23IKSS
2016 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, 4.10
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
winter, winterize

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.