Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2018, 06:46 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd1 View Post
To those that have wired their fans inside the fridge, what wires did you use? I have a Dometic with the light. I looked at rvcoolingunit site and, right now, their fan for my unit is out of stock. But, I already have some small 12v fans that I can use. Someone else mentioned wiring it into the light switch???

Thanks.
Unlike too many ready to pounce, it connects seamlessly onto the light. I STRONGLY suggest you wait until it is available. Give him a call/email. He may be traveling. Although simple, this is only 1 of maybe 10 out of the 500 or so dealings with the RV industry as a whole I can say is professional! I can fabricate, …. too, but for the price and quality, I again strongly suggest you wait and get his.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I'm attaching a document that shows you how to disable the door heater at the inside fridge light. You can see that you can tie in the +12VDC for your fan at the same place the door heater ties in. I think most people just attach the -12VDC to the condenser coils. I seem to recall someone putting an alligator clip on his -12VDC lead and then he clipped it to the coils to turn the fans on and when he wanted them off, he just unclipped the alligator clip and let it hang down.
Thanks!
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #63

I picked up two small blowers almost two years ago but never installed them in the Rockwood. On a hot day, the wall next to the refrigerator would be 100 degrees near the ceiling. I thought this might have been part of the reason for the poor a/c performance.

Today I figured out a good way to mount them on the upper vent cover for the Sprinter fridge. It’s in a slide-out also. These fans are still available on eBay and Amazon. They’re rated 28 cfm each and seem to move a lot of air. Only have to drill one hole for each fan.

The fans fit over the vertical fins on the inside of the cover and only need one screw each. I think I’ll put duct tape over the small gap where the blower outlet meets the vent. I haven’t decided whether to use the thermostat on the condenser (it controls a muffin fan under the condenser) or get a snap disk thermostat from Amazon and mount as high as I can.

The vertical vents on the slide-outs just dam up too much hot air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC79D57C-9B2C-4A44-A0D6-208E83C9D6E3.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	173487   Click image for larger version

Name:	64A89D36-0CF8-417F-9D6F-D7251E15A4F6.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	173494   Click image for larger version

Name:	BFFF4474-439D-4A6F-B743-0BDE9BDD89A9.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	173495  

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:32 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
I picked up two small blowers almost two years ago but never installed them in the Rockwood. On a hot day, the wall next to the refrigerator would be 100 degrees near the ceiling. I thought this might have been part of the reason for the poor a/c performance.

Today I figured out a good way to mount them on the upper vent cover for the Sprinter fridge. It’s in a slide-out also. These fans are still available on eBay and Amazon. They’re rated 28 cfm each and seem to move a lot of air. Only have to drill one hole for each fan.

The fans fit over the vertical fins on the inside of the cover and only need one screw each. I think I’ll put duct tape over the small gap where the blower outlet meets the vent. I haven’t decided whether to use the thermostat on the condenser (it controls a muffin fan under the condenser) or get a snap disk thermostat from Amazon and mount as high as I can.

The vertical vents on the slide-outs just dam up too much hot air.
At 1.5 amps each, those should move a lot of air. And, drain the battery. I would definitely use a thermostat of some sort and maybe even an on/off switch, just in case you need to shut them down if you're dry camping.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #65

Quote:
At 1.5 amps each, those should move a lot of air. And, drain the battery. I would definitely use a thermostat of some sort and maybe even an on/off switch, just in case you need to shut them down if you're dry camping.
The rated current is 1.5 amps but they are actually drawing just under .7 amp each when running. The label actually says 0.69 A. I tried a pot in series and was able to lower the speed, current and noise, and still maintain good air flow.

If battery drain is an issue, you will want to go with muffin fans.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #66

When adding outside cooling fans, who needs to run wires and a switch?...

I used one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Fimco-77719...ireless+remote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #67

Quote:
When adding outside cooling fans, who needs to run wires and a switch?...

I used one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Fimco-77719...ireless+remote
I hate you for being smarter than me! Wish I had known about these wireless switches after I tore half of my camper apart to run wiring for two fan switches that I mounted in the wall adjacent to my fridge.

All is not lost though, gonna use your wireless switch for my outside LED rope light I installed myself but wired with a switch in my storage compartment.
Ilovemywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:53 AM   #68

Don't hate, we're all learning here.

They have other types too. Some are two channel, they can control two fans individually.

Tags
fridge, vent