Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
(Kim)

Question I hate mosquitoes!!(mad)

Does anyone have a screen room for their awning? Not the vinyl walls, just the netting. ????
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
I am with ya on the bugs and mosquito's! One reason why I LOVE winter camping!!
I do not have a screen room... but if you get one, be sure you get one where it covers the wheels by the trailer... other wise the bug will still get ya!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
(Kim)

LOL, ty!!!
I have seen some online but I'm j/w how they work in real life. I dont want to spend alot of money or time setting it up.
I recently screened in our deck and pergola at our house, and made some nice curtains out of mosquitoe netting for the doorways. I have an idea how I could make some removable screens out of the netting for the trailer awning, but it will be alot of work. Buying a premade system will be alot easier!!!
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #4

Get some thermacell lanterns they work great. Use one for hunting season and keeps them away.
mstell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #5

I LOVE biting and flying bugs! They make camping real...

There are few things when I die I wish to ask God about ... Why did He create yellow jackets and wasps...they are not really eaten by anything in the web of life, why black flies in New England and why did He create mosquitos? I guess one could suggest the mosquito larva provides food for dragonflies which is cool.

If yall ever go to the Everglades, especially in the summer the mosquito to mammal ratio is like 10 billion to one. Turns out the female critter will eat vegetation like her boyfriend exclusively does and can survive doing so, but would rather have blood.

Anyway, you will need to screen the backside too like Campqueen already said for this to work.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #6

I'd love to know too, I'm allergic to mosquitoes.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

100% DEET is the only sure cure.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #8

Labzy,

We learned a lesson while at Cape Hatteras. While the wind is blowing there will be no mosquitos but when the wind stops look out. If you think about it mosquitoes, flies and other insects like these have delicate bodies and cannot be in the wind. Also smoke is a good deterent. We use citronella candles or tiki torches set so that they smoke and use a box fan to create a breeze. It works very well. Give it a try.

2010 Rockwood Windjammer 2609W
Reese dual cam sway control
2002 Chevy Express 1500 LT
Family of 4 and WeBJammin'
WeBJammin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #9

A little trick to get the mosquitos away when you relax near the trailer. Install a household fan near you and set it in the turning mode. At high speed no mosquitos will get close to you. It work for me. I hate these lotions that you spray your body with. Mosquitos are part of the games like black flies and household flies depending what time in the season. Last year I was fighting tons of flies and mosquitos that were getting in my tent trailer no matter how I was adjusting the tent slides. They were getting through the smallest openings. This is the reason or one of them that made me selling the tent trailer for a hardwall trailer. Fighting with the zapper at midnight is no fun when they buzz around your ears and this is for the mosquitos colony.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
Anacortesians

If you're only bothered by mosquitoes on the Outer Banks, you've been very lucky. Wait til the horseflies find you!. They're 747-mosquito and come equipped with some fairly substantial drilling gear built in. Thier stingers look like about 1/4 inch diameter (but probably only 1/8th) and you can't believe the kind of welt they leave. You can almost hear them calling ATC for clearance to land on you arm!

The bugs were one reason I was happy to accept a return to Boeing-Seattle after 3 years at NASA-Langley. The "humdidity" was the other.

I remember one morning, leaving for work at 06:45. It was 82 degrees, 100% humidity, foggy and there was a thunderstorm raging. To en ex-pat Brit who had only experienced the Pacific NW, these were all incompatible scenarios. It can't possibly be that hot at 06:45, it can't be foggy when it's 82 degrees and what the hell is that thunderstorm? Welcome toTidewater!

Three years there aged me 15 at least. The kids thought they were deprived when we got back to Seattle and they couldn't go to Jamestown, Williamsburg or Yorktown at the drop of a hat, but they eventually got used to it.

Youngest daughter, who had done Halloween as a ballerina the last year we were in Hampton, was all bent out of shape when it was 36 degrees at the start of trick or treat and she needed a parka!
Old 05-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #11

I second that. The 100% deet has always worked for me. Mosquitoes love me and I always get itchy welts. Just be careful to not to touch an plastics when freshly applied. It appears the colors applied on the plastic run off and stay on the skin.

Regarding no-see-ums, I've experienced those in Sanibel, FL. The welts from those are unbearably itchy preventing me from sleeping at night. Never had them in the midwest. Additionally I found a way to cure mosquito itch for at least 8 hours. Simply apply hot (as hot as you can take it but not scalding hot to the point it burns your skin) water for 30 seconds to the itchy area. It's funny but it appears the body focuses on that instead of the itch and provides complete relief. It also encourages you to not itch them which makes them go away faster.
vinman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
rbq

Another vote for Thermacell. We bought one last year & found that it worked very well keeping both the mosquitoes and biting flies away.
rbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:17 AM   #13

I'm also interested in hearing how others have screened in their awning area. I have a set of mosquito panels from a gazebo which I'm thinking of modifying, but like another poster mentioned I don't want to do all that work without hearing the tricks first. I was thinking of 1/2" PVC posts to keep the shape. We have a pop up screen tent which we've placed over the picnic table which works as well if we're careful about keeping the door zipped.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #14

X3 on the thermacell! We have a son playing varsity naseball, and those games are early evenings in Florida. We light a thermacell, and it keeps them away from us, anywhere around 8 or 10 feet of you, depending on breezes. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #15

So I bought thermacell and it actually worked. Mosquitoes LOVE me and as a result I also get itchy welts. Haven't tested it on windy days yet but I have 100 percent deet to help me out when I'm doing other activities like bike riding. DW says it's going to give me cancer but at least I won't have to deal with pesky welts. I wonder if there are studies out there that prove or disprove deet's effect on the body?
vinman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #16

clothing as mosquito protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman72 View Post
100 percent deet to help me out when I'm doing other activities like bike riding. DW says it's going to give me cancer but at least I won't have to deal with pesky welts. I wonder if there are studies out there that prove or disprove deet's effect on the body?
I suspect that DEET like other effective things has a downside. The stuff can melt through plastics - which to mean means it is probably is absorbed through the skin quite readily. It kills bugs. I watched a mosquito land on the bottle and crumple up dead. OTOH.... the alternative is West Nile, and obviously in some parts of the world malaria, dengue fever etc. I am also allergic - the welts are the size of saucers sometimes.

I apply sprays to clothing - long sleeves and pants which at least isn't on skin and wear a hat. The smaller amount of exposed flesh is means less absorption of DEET. I sunburn easily as well so I guess all that fabric has a dual purpose.

Last summer I picked up some of those hats with netting for the children. They were fun for a while but not terribly practical.

To work on the pump pulling water from our meadow to a lower pond I have been pulling on a pair of ski pants & gum boots, and a hooded winter coat. Not particularly attractive, and way too hot, but effective!

So no one has piped up with their mosquito proof mod to the awnning? No home made screen rooms?
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #17

We are new at this camping adventure. Thermacell? what is it? I get welts from mosquitos too. They love me, I hate them!
dixons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #18
Grape Escape

Tried a Thermacell last weekend. No breeze but lots of mosquitos. I guess Ontario ones are already immune to it.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #19
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Ive seen people use the "Add a room" on the awnings to avoid the skeeters.

btw thats Saskatchewan's provincial "bird" lol!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #20

Help! I want to get involved!

I just joined this group tonight. I managed to post a question on an ongoing thread, but how do you view the replies to what you wrote. I don't even know if I am making sense. I can't find where it explains how to do things on this site. I looked on FAQ, but it didn't give explanations that I needed. Can anyone help me?
dixons is offline   Reply With Quote